follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #29
canu_50

Drives: Scion fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I really do think you are confusing yourself..

What do you guys think? @CSGmike @ElementTuning
canu_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #30
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven604 View Post
actually its happened on the street lots of times to me on stock tires..... so yeah. hard left going like 30-40km/h with no loss of traction, the power just cuz out cuz im below half tank taking a hard left.
Then you must really be flooring it to drain the surge tank of fuel, b/c that loss of power is the fuel starvation issue. Problem here is that with most folks, it is only experienced during sustained lateral g-inducing left turns. IE, track-only conditions.

For you to be experiencing that on the street tells me that either something is wrong with your car or you are driving it WAAAY too hard to be safe on the street.

Even when canyon carving with < half tank, I don't get this issue. I get blinky tc light all the time there (b/c of dust conditions, I only run the 88 in vsc sport mode, NOT tc/vdc off mode) but that only activates brakes (and yeah, I get cooked brake pad smell after a while with it too.... I need to be smoother), not robs engine power.

So, there's either something the matter with your fuel system or there's something you're not telling us about your driving style.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
canu_50 (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #31
headlikeahole

Drives: Ultramarine toyobaru
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
If OP doesn't like traction control look in to this DIY traction override: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ction+override

Headlikeahole: Trac and VSC are safety features and in case of an emergency.

so is a crash helmet and a firesuit but I don't see everyone wearing one on their daily commute. The reason we don't is simple, It is not worth the extra hassle compared to our percieved benefit. That choice is a personal one, yes it could affect others, but so could every choice you make. If you chose to ride a bike insted of drive your car you could insure that you would never loose control and hit anyone with a 3000 pound bullet, but is it worth the hassle in your life to protect others? That's life, you make the choice and experience the consiquences of them, weather good or bad.
Your argument makes no sense, the pros to leaving the nannies on are huge and the cons are practically non existent. There's no real hassle or downside to leaving the nannies on during every day driving. In fact, its a bigger hassle to turn them OFF.

On what planet does this compare to putting on a fire suit and helmet... good chat.
headlikeahole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to headlikeahole For This Useful Post:
wparsons (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #32
canu_50

Like i said, it only happened to me on long left sweeper at 160 km/h (100MPH) with r-compound tires.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #33
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlikeahole View Post
Your argument makes no sense, the pros to leaving the nannies on are huge and the cons are practically non existent. There's no real hassle or downside to leaving the nannies on during every day driving. In fact, its a bigger hassle to turn them OFF.

On what planet does this compare to putting on a fire suit and helmet... good chat.
The cons are not non existant, they are just not worth it to you. I have had the same issues as OP, I am happy they did not occur trying to pull out and make a left across traffic, or times when you need to accelerate to avoid an accident. You hit the gas more than usual to make sure you clear the gap in traffic, the engine power is cut, and you sit with your nose in traffic trying to hit the gas to go and the more you hit it, the more you stay still. Like I said, it may not be a condition that has ever happend to you, or ever will happen to you. So you may not want to ever disable traction, that's your choice.
You yourself said that traction is for increased safety, so is a helmet, how is that confusing? you take the precautions you choose to, that is all.
Oh that "good chat" line doesn't help the conversation.
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #34
canu_50

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlikeahole View Post

His point beeing, that it is not because it is there, you need to use it.

We don't need mommy over our shoulder to tell us if i need vsc or not.

I like to drive the car the way i bought it for!
The Following User Says Thank You to canu_50 For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #35
canu_50

Also, just to let people know, i do run VSC and TC off all the time. But one thing people doesn't know or are not aware of, is the electronic diff. The car will cut power to the rear wheels if it feels like a wheel is spinning and the other is not.

I.E Winter when one wheel is on ice and the other on asphalt.

This is to protect the Diff. It did happenened to me a couple of time also at drift event (probably because of gravel or sand under one wheel).

So don't forget that this could also be what happenned with OP, and would tend to believe happened also to our friend that has fuel starvation!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #36
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,352 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
The cons are not non existant, they are just not worth it to you. I have had the same issues as OP, I am happy they did not occur trying to pull out and make a left across traffic, or times when you need to accelerate to avoid an accident. You hit the gas more than usual to make sure you clear the gap in traffic, the engine power is cut, and you sit with your nose in traffic trying to hit the gas to go and the more you hit it, the more you stay still. Like I said, it may not be a condition that has ever happend to you, or ever will happen to you. So you may not want to ever disable traction, that's your choice.
You yourself said that traction is for increased safety, so is a helmet, how is that confusing? you take the precautions you choose to, that is all.
Oh that "good chat" line doesn't help the conversation.
Your logic means that TC is cutting off power long before the tires break traction. Properly functioning TC (which I find ours do a decent job of) cut power just enough to keep the tires from spinning.

You get more grip from a non slipping tire than you do from one that is slipping (either locked up or spinning), so if the TC is cutting power to the point that you can barely move, you'd have next to no traction anyway so you're still screwed.

Launch your car at 4000rpm on dry pavement, and then do the same on a snowy road. The TC is MUCH more invasive on the snow than it is on the dry road, AND you get much more acceleration on the dry road than on the snowy one. Your post makes it sound like as soon as there is any slip it cuts 100% of the power until you back off the gas, which just isn't the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canu_50 View Post
Also, just to let people know, i do run VSC and TC off all the time. But one thing people doesn't know or are not aware of, is the electronic diff. The car will cut power to the rear wheels if it feels like a wheel is spinning and the other is not.
You're the first to state that it will actually cut power. Anything else just states that it will apply brakes to the wheel in the air. I've experienced it applying brakes to a wheel in the air and it most definitely did not cut power. It doesn't do this to protect the diff, it does this so if the diff is unloading you still have forward power. Without the brakes being applied it would simply send 100% of the power to the wheel without grip like a normal open diff does.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
canu_50 (02-27-2014), headlikeahole (02-27-2014), SirBrass (02-27-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #37
canu_50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
You're the first to state that it will actually cut power. Anything else just states that it will apply brakes to the wheel in the air. I've experienced it applying brakes to a wheel in the air and it most definitely did not cut power. It doesn't do this to protect the diff, it does this so if the diff is unloading you still have forward power. Without the brakes being applied it would simply send 100% of the power to the wheel without grip like a normal open diff does.
I never read on that,it does feel like if you are loosing power when it happens on asphalt drifting, it is probably the brake like you stated.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #38
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure what tc you guys have but it will kick in on stock tires stock tune at 4500ft elevation driving mildly spirited.

When I put new tires on the car it toned down noticeably.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #39
StormTrooper

Garage
With full nannies on it is very intrusive.... Aka over protective.

In the summer I usually turn it off, in the winter I use vsc sport most of the time.

The only time I have it fully on is if I forget. It's terrible
Old 02-27-2014, 07:46 PM   #40
Victor Draken

Drives: Toyota Gt86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I find that on DRY road with good pavement condition It is ok to have everything OFF

BUT

when it's slippery or it's raining... man... the car can spin so fast sometimes that You must be on the balls to catch it on time.
That's why I usually drive very slowly when I see it's slippery or during the night If I have all the nannies OFF or use VCS.

The funny thing is I have the Micheling ALPIN3 or whatever is the name, but still... as soon as it starts to rain, the car handle like shit in corner with TC OFF etc.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 PM   #41
StormTrooper

Garage
You might have your tire pressures too high or those are bad in the rain.

My Dunlop sport maxx are way better than the stock in the rain.... I mean 5krpm and power and it will slide but not unless you want it to
Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #42
canu_50

Alpin are winter tire.. Not sport maxx..