follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #589
GregV

Drives: Kia Stinger GT2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
I remember another important detail missing from Forza, no flags. I went offroading today and when I recovered, I was expecting a flag.

I don't know why either. I haven't played Live for Speed in years...
Not sure what you mean, but if you go too far off course there is a hazard icon that appears and your lap time is invalidated.
GregV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:52 AM   #590
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregV View Post
Not sure what you mean, but if you go too far off course there is a hazard icon that appears and your lap time is invalidated.
That is not a flag at all.

Try playing Live for speed, or watch a racing series to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

It's not a big deal but it does make a difference during races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #591
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Yeah that is one of my biggest complaints about Forza. I would love it if they added a real sim mode with practice, qualifying, and flags and penalties during the race. Sort of a true career mode instead of the current mode which is still just arcade racing. Fortunately the F1 series is great for that kind of racing.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #592
Maxim

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr Tornado Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry Dragon, but compression doesn't play a role in anything except pre-rendered video (AKA movies). It doesn't have anything to do with rendered graphics (games) at all.

Blu-Ray is nothing but a high capacity storage medium and it has absolutely no innate graphical advantage over any other optical storage medium. You can just hold more stuff on one disk. That's literally all it does.

With movies, it's annoying to interrupt the movie 4 times, changing discs, which is what you'd have to do to fit blu-ray quality video onto DVDs. With games, you just install the multiple discs. Maybe swap discs once in a 20 hour playthrough. It doesn't affect graphics...it doesn't even have anything to do with them.

I think I've banged on my other points more than enough. Like I said, you can go to Forza's official page and find all the stuff about real race drivers, teams training with the game, etc.

I guess what it all comes down to is, I think Forza is a superior product, I find the physics feel slightly more realistic to me, and I don't really care if your e-penis is bigger than mine.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #593
Maxim

On another note, I am wildly excited about the possibilities for this new offshoot of Forza that's been announced.

Forza cars, physics, handling, graphics, on real roads rather than race tracks? Oh yes.

I can take my real car to a track....a game that still accurately simulates driving but lets me do all kinds of illegal stuff that I could never do in real life is the holy grail of racing.

Plus...no tracks! Just streets. This is exactly what I was talking about a couple pages back...funny that they announced it right after I said it. Maybe it was my christmas present
Old 03-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #594
Allch Chcar

Meh, blueray/dvd. Same thing.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #595
Maxim

Quote:
Meh, blueray/dvd. Same thing.

Yeah, pretty much. Blu-Ray is just a finer, blue laser used to burn/read off of the same type of disc.

Besides, the next consoles aren't even going to have optical drives. Microsoft already confirmed the next Xbox isn't even going to have a drive...media will be delivered via solid-state storage or by download. It'll never even be on a disc.

Essentially, Nintendo's old "cartridge" format is coming back. The load times will be dramatically faster without having to rely on an optical drive, and now that solid state storage (memory cards, memory sticks, etc) have come down in price so much, you can just get rid of the drive altogether.

Hard drives will probably be solid state in the new consoles too....eliminate all the moving parts. Console makers this latest generation learnred the hard way that consoles are becoming too complex and "breakable." They're certainly going to do everything they can to avoid that. No optical drive, no traditional hard drive....nothing that moves except fans.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #596
Allch Chcar

Heh, I never would have imagined. :V

SSD are still pretty expensive per GB. I looked into it recently and even the generic large capacity drives were above $1 per GB. SATA drives are only like 20 cents per GB.

Forgive me, but I am having difficulty believing your story. Please share the link. I did search and all I could find was the rumors not an official confirmation from Microsoft. And I did search Microsoft.com Seems a bit early for 720 details anyway.

One more thing about Forza. The cars can take damage but you cannot wreck them. And pit repairs all except body damage, is that simulation!?

The pit annoys me too. I can't speed in the pit and get a penalty. It's all automatic.

Is it any different for GT5?

Quote:
Old 03-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #597
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Nope, it's even worse in GT5 lol. I go drifting online and if you drift too close to the pit lane in tsukuba your car automatically spawns and drives into the pit lol.

Anyway, I got a 360 and F3 today, whuppe and a razr onza controller. Anyone else still play F3?
Old 03-13-2012, 12:29 AM   #598
Maxim

Quote:
Heh, I never would have imagined. :V

SSD are still pretty expensive per GB. I looked into it recently and even the generic large capacity drives were above $1 per GB. SATA drives are only like 20 cents per GB.

Forgive me, but I am having difficulty believing your story. Please share the link. I did search and all I could find was the rumors not an official confirmation from Microsoft. And I did search Microsoft.com Seems a bit early for 720 details anyway.

One more thing about Forza. The cars can take damage but you cannot wreck them. And pit repairs all except body damage, is that simulation!?

The pit annoys me too. I can't speed in the pit and get a penalty. It's all automatic.

You certainly can wreck a car in Forza. Have been able to since the first one. Yes, the pit can repair all damage but cosmetic, which is unrealistic...but you have to be able to make it to the pit. I've had debris from an AI crash in front of me hit my front bumper, take out my radiator, and my engine blew before the lap was out...and I couldnt make it to the pits. Race was over. (of course, I just used the rewind feature and avoided the accident after watching what happened)

And yeah, go to IGN.com or some other major game sites. Stuff is leaking out about the next Xbox really fast right now. Apparently, game purchases will be handled via some kind of solid state memory, the hard drive will be solid state, and all games will also be available online.

Given the costs, it's unlikely that games will ship on cartridges...what's much more likely is that games will be available for instant transfer to solid-state memory directly from stores. The removable solid-state hard drive could easily be taken down to best buy, hooked up to a kiosk, and have the entire contents of the game instantly installed upon purchase.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #599
Allch Chcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
You certainly can wreck a car in Forza. Have been able to since the first one. Yes, the pit can repair all damage but cosmetic, which is unrealistic...but you have to be able to make it to the pit. I've had debris from an AI crash in front of me hit my front bumper, take out my radiator, and my engine blew before the lap was out...and I couldnt make it to the pits. Race was over. (of course, I just used the rewind feature and avoided the accident after watching what happened)
Huh. I see that is what the temperature gauge is for. :/

I've never had that happen, I'll try that later to figure out how that works.

Quote:
Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #600
GregV

Drives: Kia Stinger GT2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Huh. I see that is what the temperature gauge is for. :/

I've never had that happen, I'll try that later to figure out how that works.
Check your settings and make sure damage isn't set to "cosmetic" only.
GregV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #601
Allch Chcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregV View Post
Check your settings and make sure damage isn't set to "cosmetic" only.
I always have it on full simulation when I play. And I check it frequently to make adjustments to TCS and other stuff.

Quote: