follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: Toyota Supra (A180)
Sub-Zero 46 63.89%
Cool 19 26.39%
Uncool 4 5.56%
Seriously Uncool 3 4.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #239
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivalex View Post
4 years ago I bought a 93 RHD NA supra. I always wanted a supra since...that movie. I made it my own over the years, converting it to the 2JZGTE engine putting down 400whp, as well as tasteful interior/exterior modifications as well as some good suspension along with wheels and tires to transfer the power.

I just don't know what to do.
Add another 1,000hp, troll on Bugatti Veyrons. Simple.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
Rockstar Lifestyle (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 01:26 PM   #240
BobRickel

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You will find the FRS to be a modern version of the Supra, minus the huge power. I had a '93 Twin Turbo that I bumped up to 496 @ the rear wheels. It now has 347,000 miles on it. Still running strong but has a lot of rattles. The driving experience is very much alike but there is nothing like that turbo speed. The FRS is way more practical though and way tighter after 347 miles.
BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #241
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'm havng the same dilemma as you but with my mr2. Thinking about getting rid of the sw20 and throwing a turbo kit onto the frs. I would be picking up a decent used daily driver too. Decisions decisions...

Truth is, I really don't need two sports cars. My mr2 literally saw no use last year.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #242
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Another thing a lot of you American's posting don't realize is that these RHD imports coming into Canada aren't worth nearly as much as their LHD versions. I can pick up an mk4 supra tt 6spd rhd for around $15k CAD. The same car in LHD, $25k usd. A LHD TT supra in Canada is like $30k!!!

I often think about selling everything frs and all and just pick up an R33 Skyline gtr. Those can be had for around $15k CAD then just get a regular daily driver. But i'm just not into the rhd thing...

Supra looks sick OP. I've got two buddies with rhd TT's and they bad ass!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #243
FreshFRS
KCCO From Canada

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
There are R34's starting to trickle in at way lower costs compared to LHD Supra's. one for sale here on van isle for example, 1994 TT (6speed) with: greddy single turbo swap, 170,000kms for 29.5K Vs. a R34 GTT (RWD) with RB26 swap with supra trans (with skyline gears) Custom driveshaft (not sure about rear end) for 20k, thats a whole bunch of work put in vs slightly less work done and 9k difference for cars that are similar on paper. if anything with GTR suspension it would be faster on the track.
FreshFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:19 PM   #244
SpeedR
First86 / boat thief

Drives: MKIV Supra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The same problem has come up for me many times I have had a MKIV sup for the past 15 years.
In that same time I have had two 951 Porsches, a BMW M roadster, mazda miata m edition, audi S4 and a nicely modded STI ...ect. I have sold them all but I have never really thought about selling the Sup even though it has more $ in mods then most of the other cars cost total.

Once you have raced a liter bike on the highway (killed the busa the R1 with gears was close) and done an auto X in the same day same car you will never sell that car!

Sup at Auto-x in the rain:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...08#post1496108

Last edited by SpeedR; 02-01-2014 at 12:01 AM.
SpeedR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 PM   #245
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFRS View Post
There are R34's starting to trickle in at way lower costs compared to LHD Supra's. one for sale here on van isle for example, 1994 TT (6speed) with: greddy single turbo swap, 170,000kms for 29.5K Vs. a R34 GTT (RWD) with RB26 swap with supra trans (with skyline gears) Custom driveshaft (not sure about rear end) for 20k, thats a whole bunch of work put in vs slightly less work done and 9k difference for cars that are similar on paper. if anything with GTR suspension it would be faster on the track.
Yea, I'd never look at a rwd skyline. Either get the gtr awd or don't get one at all. I reckon the r34 gtr skylines will still be pretty expensive even if imported. Don't they still sell for like $40k+?

But the r33 gtr that are legal are a pretty hot bargain for a mean jdm sports car.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:39 AM   #246
daftpunk

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I recognize your supra from JDMR!
If it were mine, I wouldn't ever consider selling it. Congrats on keeping it!

2013 Firestorm Scion FRS
2005 Civic SI Sedan- Sold
2004 Impreza WRX - Sold
1992 Civic Hatchback - Parted, RIP
daftpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:07 AM   #247
FreshFRS
KCCO From Canada

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Yea, I'd never look at a rwd skyline. Either get the gtr awd or don't get one at all. I reckon the r34 gtr skylines will still be pretty expensive even if imported. Don't they still sell for like $40k+?

But the r33 gtr that are legal are a pretty hot bargain for a mean jdm sports car.
I agree, i was just using it as an example, because of all the work done to it vs a pretty standard used supra yeah R34 GTR's are selling at 40k+ most i see online in japan are ~60 i'd love one but, too rich for my blood. i like the styling of the supra better anyways.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:04 AM   #248
BadRix

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Keep the Supra if you can.

Here in Europe cars like that are even more valuable because of taxation (and other costs like fuelconsumption and insurance). For an FRS I pay like 500 dollars every year on taxes, a one-time 700 dollar tax to get it on the road and to top it off: fuelcosts that are highly taxated. Insurance is close to 2000 dollars. It's ridiculous, but that's Europe.

Here in Europe almost everybody can buy a Ferrari (eg a 350 for like 40.000 dollars), but only the very rich can drive one.
BadRix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #249
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Quote:
I agree, i was just using it as an example, because of all the work done to it vs a pretty standard used supra yeah R34 GTR's are selling at 40k+ most i see online in japan are ~60 i'd love one but, too rich for my blood. i like the styling of the supra better anyways.
Yea, the Supra styling definitely is nicer as the Skylines simply look like another Chevy Impala out on the road. But there's no denying the "WOW" factor when you see a Skyline as they were never brought here. Still, I don't think I would circum to any RHD vehicle. Ontario is steadily pushing towards banning them and insurance is harder and harder to find these days. Not to mention that you're 40% more likely to get involved in a car accident in one as statistics say. It's not to say I would turn down a deal on a RHD Supra TT. In fact, I'm sorta on the fence on selling everything and picking one up along with a beater. I love the R33 GTR and I want an EVO 5 so badly but my common sense tells me to stay away from those cars. Why? Parts! It's not like you can run to your local dealer to get parts in a pinch. Whereas an imported RHD Supra, no problem. You can go to your local Toyota dealer and they'll be able to fix you up because the Supra was already brought to North America so parts are not a problem to get.

Sometimes I ask myself why I got the FRS when I could've plainly got something like this!
http://www.tyeeimports.com/jdm-cars-...20Twin%20Turbo
Old 02-01-2014, 01:54 PM   #250
FreshFRS
KCCO From Canada

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Yea, the Supra styling definitely is nicer as the Skylines simply look like another Chevy Impala out on the road. But there's no denying the "WOW" factor when you see a Skyline as they were never brought here. Still, I don't think I would circum to any RHD vehicle. Ontario is steadily pushing towards banning them and insurance is harder and harder to find these days. Not to mention that you're 40% more likely to get involved in a car accident in one as statistics say. It's not to say I would turn down a deal on a RHD Supra TT. In fact, I'm sorta on the fence on selling everything and picking one up along with a beater. I love the R33 GTR and I want an EVO 5 so badly but my common sense tells me to stay away from those cars. Why? Parts! It's not like you can run to your local dealer to get parts in a pinch. Whereas an imported RHD Supra, no problem. You can go to your local Toyota dealer and they'll be able to fix you up because the Supra was already brought to North America so parts are not a problem to get.

Sometimes I ask myself why I got the FRS when I could've plainly got something like this!
http://www.tyeeimports.com/jdm-cars-...20Twin%20Turbo
I totally agree i kind of want the supra as weekend/nice day car and the BRz to be my daily driver. i finally sold my cobalt, (had a pretty built up S2k before that) so now I'm driving a really cheap beater until i finish my online schooling (power engineering) and get a better job.

I'm willing to pay the extra for a LHD supra, i drove a rhd honda crx si (my buddies) once and it was definitely not my thing. plus there are a couple fairly unmolested mkivs for sale right now. it just comes down to cash, which i don't have
Old 02-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #251
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Quote:
I totally agree i kind of want the supra as weekend/nice day car and the BRz to be my daily driver. i finally sold my cobalt, (had a pretty built up S2k before that) so now I'm driving a really cheap beater until i finish my online schooling (power engineering) and get a better job.

I'm willing to pay the extra for a LHD supra, i drove a rhd honda crx si (my buddies) once and it was definitely not my thing. plus there are a couple fairly unmolested mkivs for sale right now. it just comes down to cash, which i don't have
I'm with ya.

You're totally right about paying the premium for the LHD. It's still tough to swallow shelling out that dough for an older car though. Which is why I'd have to compromise and just settle for a RHD import if I were to go Supra.

My friend drove up to Quebec and paid $12k for this beast. $12k!!! RHD 6spd TT. BPU stock twins and boosting 18psi. Like 380-400 wheel.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #252
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,465 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivalex View Post
4 years ago I bought a 93 RHD NA supra. I always wanted a supra since...that movie. I made it my own over the years, converting it to the 2JZGTE engine putting down 400whp, as well as tasteful interior/exterior modifications as well as some good suspension along with wheels and tires to transfer the power.

This is my weekend toy. I don't drive it that much, but its a damn fun car that gets a lot of attention.

Last year I had bought a 2013 Elantra to be my boring DD, but after owning it for a year it was involved in an accident writing it off. I thought it was a good car, but I found it to be incredibly boring, being that I am a gear head at heart.

So I have now bought a brand new Whiteout FRS, I take delivery this week, and couldn't be more excited, but at the same time, I cant help but think about the supra.

Although both Toyota(sort of), RWD, 2 Doors, standard, and white, there are a lot of similarities, but at the same time the cars are very different from one another.

I don't know if I should keep the supra, keep it a dedicated weekend car and occasional track day. Or will having an FRS take some of that joy out of owning the supra, and will it go to the back of the shelf? Out of the box the supra is clearly a much faster car. But if I were to sell it I could make the FRS an amazing machine with money left over...The FRS is my daily driver right now, but that doesn't meant that if I sold the supra I wouldn't pick up a winter beater for the future.

I just don't know what to do.
Just wanted to chime in by saying what a gorgeous looking supra. If you can, don't sell her.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2jz, photoshop, supra, trd, virtual tuning