follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #3025
Area86

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited SWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I had a Gates RB shred on a 70mm pulley. I am back on the stock 75mm pulley with the standard Gates belt and haven't had any issues. I do have a spare belt in the trunk just in case though.

On another note does anyone know of any vendors with the intercooler upgrade kit in stock. I ordered mine last week from Innovate and I just found out they are about 6 weeks out. Initially they said probably around 2 weeks and I was fine with that but if someone has one in stock I will cancel my order and pick one up now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Area86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #3026
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
Gauges are for people that don't trust their tuner.
If I had a wideband all my issues would have be solved months ago.
NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #3027
Ethan

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockysnail View Post
I'm having a local company (Nameless Performance) make me a metal intake tube to replace the plastic innovate one. They are also ceramic coating then powder coating it red as well and adding a meth hole for future meth injection upgrade. I'll take a pic of it once I get it and put it on. Should bring out the sound a little more and keep the temps down, plus look much better.
Love to hear a sound clip too! Do you have the stock air box? Marrying the new tube Nameless is making for you to the Perrin big MAF intake might give you a great sound. Just a thought.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #3028
wrxgoose
WUB WUB

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Thanked 1,573 Times in 858 Posts
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calispec View Post

tensioner is fine.. I thought i heard a little chirp from the bearing but i can't tell if it is the fuel pump or if it is might be the bearing. It only makes a sound every once in a while..
Yeah, that's the same size I'm using. The one that last shredded. Really think I need a new tensioner, but we don't have em here

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #3029
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
Love to hear a sound clip too! Do you have the stock air box? Marrying the new tube Nameless is making for you to the Perrin big MAF intake might give you a great sound. Just a thought.
I have the Perrin 2.5 inch intake. I got it way before they released the 3" so it's hard to justify depending money on the bigger one unless someone will buy my 2.5 for a decent price.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #3030
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
@wrxgoose i'd check the idler pulley and all pulleys. Make sure they're all moving smooth and not occasionally missing a bit causing the belt to flex left/right. I haven't had an issue with mine and no sign of any damage.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #3031
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
I can't see any issues with running a non-IC tune on a car with a IC. It just means you won't gain any power. The only advantage of the IC is to make intake temps more consistent anyway,. it won't make you any more power, it just makes the power more reliable.
You will be fine to drive on a non ic tune, but the rest of this statement is very wrong.

Cooler and more consistent temps = being able to run more timing = more power. There is a reason the intercooler kit makes more power than the non-ic kit.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:24 AM   #3032
DriftEm

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area86 View Post
I had a Gates RB shred on a 70mm pulley. I am back on the stock 75mm pulley with the standard Gates belt and haven't had any issues. I do have a spare belt in the trunk just in case though.

On another note does anyone know of any vendors with the intercooler upgrade kit in stock. I ordered mine last week from Innovate and I just found out they are about 6 weeks out. Initially they said probably around 2 weeks and I was fine with that but if someone has one in stock I will cancel my order and pick one up now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
what brand was the 70mm pulley?
Old 01-31-2014, 01:13 AM   #3033
Ryan86
Road Warrior

Drives: Toyota 86 Satin Pearl White
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Ive changed belts, pulleys 75 to 72 to 70mm no issues. the Charger pulleys sidewalls grooves should not allow a belt to jump.

the belt runs from alternator round to the SC, so possibly check your alternator pulley and the pulley below it, to ensure running straight.

something else to check, did you put the washer before the idle pulley?
Ryan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:50 AM   #3034
Area86

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited SWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEm View Post
what brand was the 70mm pulley?
It was a FA20club 70mm pulley. I kinda suspect that the pulley may have caused the belt to shred because the pulley was all hacked up when I received it. I should have sent it back but it took almost a month for me to receive it and I didn't want to wait for another one. I have a 70mm from raceseng (which looks flawless) that I picked up on Black Friday but I haven't installed it yet.
Area86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Area86 For This Useful Post:
CK_Bladesmith (02-19-2014), DriftEm (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 02:18 AM   #3035
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area86 View Post
It was a FA20club 70mm pulley. I kinda suspect that the pulley may have caused the belt to shred because the pulley was all hacked up when I received it. I should have sent it back but it took almost a month for me to receive it and I didn't want to wait for another one. I have a 70mm from raceseng (which looks flawless) that I picked up on Black Friday but I haven't installed it yet.
The Raceseng is the one I was looking at. I have their cam plate cover and toe hook. They are amazing pieces so I'd expect nothing less from their pulleys.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stockysnail For This Useful Post:
Area86 (01-31-2014)
Old 01-31-2014, 02:27 AM   #3036
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
You will be fine to drive on a non ic tune, but the rest of this statement is very wrong.

Cooler and more consistent temps = being able to run more timing = more power. There is a reason the intercooler kit makes more power than the non-ic kit.
You go and tell me what I said was wrong..... and then rewrite what I said just in a different way. I reckon on a single pull, the charge temps between the 2 would not be that different to create a noticeable change in power if timing and fuelling were identical. The main reason there is a power difference is that tuners have to reduce timing (and possibly add fuel) due to the fact intake temps will continue to rise on the base kit. Thats the reliability aspect.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:46 AM   #3037
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
@stockysnail

Advice.
If you change the intake before the MAF or at it DO NOT WOT. Your AFR will be off. Also I would not recommend installing the IC and driving around w.o a re-tune. If your already spending the money might as well wait and spend the $300 more for it. I don't want to tell you what my AFR was at when I switched up parts w.o hitting boost on my drive for my retune. The intercooler will restrict air flow. Its a give/take. This will lean out your AFR and produce more boost (i think) Now that your boosted you have to be more care full. Bobby tunes our car's really rich. You don't want to mod it with anything that will make it run more rich. When I went from the 3in Perrin intake to stock airbox + changed the header/FP it actually made my car run really really really rich. Also the ECU was pulling/giving timing which made for an unenjoyable drive...

I can't wait for someone to release a 3in intake that actually has a MAF air straighteners. (I put it past jason at nameless)

*update for my car*
Next upgrades (all at once install for next winter project decided)

If my SB is in good running condition I will be selling it.
1. Purchasing Crawford SB w/10:1 compression Or if Cosworth releases their block I might change my mind.
2. Nameless Full 3in Intake
3. Nameless EL Header
4. Nameless 3in OP/DP Combo
(already have a gnarly 3in to dual 2in nameless proto catback to mate to these awesome new additions)
5. 69mm Pulley
6. AEM Meth injection
7. Innovate IC Upgrade kit
8. Re-tune @ PRE racing

Hoping to make more then 280WHP and have a reliable engine for track use. 2015 shall be fun! Until then i'll live with the 240 WHP stock engine.

at that point my car will be 100% complete.

Undecided if I want to upgrade pump/injectors. If I do i'll be getting a flexfuel kit and running E85 and switch to ECUtek with a Driftoffice tune. Unless i can talk Bobby into continuing his tune on my car. If I do this then it will be balls to wall shooting for 320+WHP

*it sucks my car had so many issues. Because I was so deep in labor fixing the damn thing buying/selling/swapping parts that I could of already had Injectors/Pump/Intercooler atm.........

Last edited by NickFRS; 01-31-2014 at 08:09 AM.
NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:10 AM   #3038
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
You go and tell me what I said was wrong..... and then rewrite what I said just in a different way. I reckon on a single pull, the charge temps between the 2 would not be that different to create a noticeable change in power if timing and fuelling were identical. The main reason there is a power difference is that tuners have to reduce timing (and possibly add fuel) due to the fact intake temps will continue to rise on the base kit. Thats the reliability aspect.
I guess I read it wrong, thinking you were saying you aren't going to make power with the ic kit, when you meant you won't make power with the ic kit on a non-ic tune lol

either way, I wouldn't run on the non-ic tune for long.

@NickFRS - why did you end up swapping back to the stock intake box? Based on your post i'm guessing it was screwing with the MAF too much?
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.