follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #127
FRSure

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxer 2.5 View Post
42 dollars an hour HAHAHAHAHA 100 dollars an hour is normal.
Parts 4,937.02
Body Labor 48.5 hrs @ $ 100.00 /hr 4,850.00
Paint Labor 20.7 hrs @ $ 100.00 /hr 2070.00
Frame Labor 4.0 hrs @ $ 100.00 /hr 400.00
Paint Supplies 20.7 hrs @ $ 78.00 /hr 1615.00
Other Charges 770.00
Subtotal 14705.00
Sales Tax $ 9750 @ 6.0000 % 585.00
Total Cost of Repairs 15290.00
Same. I just don't know where the insurance find these numbers.

I was thinking... That's awfully low...
FRSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #128
Jrohit

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #2072 (6MT)
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Yeah getting into an accident sucks big time. I was a student and dealing with school and insurance at the same time drained me. Talk to the person doing the appraisal and ask for an estimate, but also ask what they checked out. My appraisal was quick enough because the front end was just destroyed. The guy basically looked at mine and told me "I'm not even going to bother with breaking the engine/tranny down because there's already going to be damage to it." Find out everything you can about your vehicle, then talk to the insurance company. See how much they would offer you if it is totaled and go from there. Once the bill hits close to $16500, then they'll declare it a loss. It's an experience and you'll be ready next time, God forbid, if it does happen again.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
FRSure (01-22-2014), ftc~brz (01-22-2014), Rio (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #129
FRSure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrohit View Post
Yeah getting into an accident sucks big time. I was a student and dealing with school and insurance at the same time drained me. Talk to the person doing the appraisal and ask for an estimate, but also ask what they checked out. My appraisal was quick enough because the front end was just destroyed. The guy basically looked at mine and told me "I'm not even going to bother with breaking the engine/tranny down because there's already going to be damage to it." Find out everything you can about your vehicle, then talk to the insurance company. See how much they would offer you if it is totaled and go from there. Once the bill hits close to $16500, then they'll declare it a loss. It's an experience and you'll be ready next time, God forbid, if it does happen again.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
They did a initial appraisal (not tearing it down), they estimated $9700.
They keep insisting it's a new car, it is MOST likely repairable.

Just told me the parts for 1 rear quarter panel is $631, but the labor is 17.5 Hours.

Because the panel is part of the car's unibody, shouldn't the structural integrity be compromised?

How long usually does it take to tear down a car?

If they do decide to repair it, I got a list of to watch out for things..

Unibody Damage - Compromise Handling and Safety ( Structural Integrity.
Rust - Human is never precise as machines on doing the anti rust spray thing.
Transmission Damage - It's RWD
Color Matching
Weldings - Machine laser welds are better than huiman - Never be the same again
Future problem down the road because of kinetic energy hitting my bumper
Handling will be affected
Diminished Value if they REALLY want to fix it
Old 01-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #130
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Different states and insurance companies have different regulations and rules on the hourly rate they will pay for. Just like warranty work through a dealer, some work will be quicker and some work will take longer than the estimate that's supplied via the appraisal software or manufacturer documents. Saying that a shop will get $100 an hour is really meaningless unless you are familiar with the insurance regulations for the state and the policy of the OP.

OP, seriously, wait for the supplement and stop freaking out.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #131
Jrohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSure View Post
They did a initial appraisal (not tearing it down), they estimated $9700.
They keep insisting it's a new car, it is MOST likely repairable.

Just told me the parts for 1 rear quarter panel is $631, but the labor is 17.5 Hours.

Because the panel is part of the car's unibody, shouldn't the structural integrity be compromised?

How long usually does it take to tear down a car?

If they do decide to repair it, I got a list of to watch out for things..

Unibody Damage - Compromise Handling and Safety ( Structural Integrity.
Rust - Human is never precise as machines on doing the anti rust spray thing.
Transmission Damage - It's RWD
Color Matching
Weldings - Machine laser welds are better than huiman - Never be the same again
Future problem down the road because of kinetic energy hitting my bumper
Handling will be affected
Diminished Value if they REALLY want to fix it
Okay, I thoroughly read through this post. $9,700 seems about accurate to me. Did you go to the insurance recommended auto body shop? Keep in mind that the total ($9,700) is only for the body itself like frame, paint, etc. Once they do the tear down, they'll definitely see more damage regarding rims, tires, axle, wiring to the trunk, exhaust, drivetrain, transmission, fluids, tail lights, emblem. There could also be damage to the rear windshield, backseat, brakes, and seatbelts. Those are all of the things that I can think of right now.

Along with all of that, there will be labor cost too, so we're looking at $15,000+ on the total.

Again, call up your insurance and ask them what their threshold of "totaled" is to give you an idea of what your car needs to reach. and just because "it's a new car," it does not mean that it is repairable.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:48 PM   #132
FRSure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrohit View Post
Okay, I thoroughly read through this post. $9,700 seems about accurate to me. Did you go to the insurance recommended auto body shop? Keep in mind that the total ($9,700) is only for the body itself like frame, paint, etc. Once they do the tear down, they'll definitely see more damage regarding rims, tires, axle, wiring to the trunk, exhaust, drivetrain, transmission, fluids, tail lights, emblem. There could also be damage to the rear windshield, backseat, brakes, and seatbelts. Those are all of the things that I can think of right now.

Along with all of that, there will be labor cost too, so we're looking at $15,000+ on the total.

Again, call up your insurance and ask them what their threshold of "totaled" is to give you an idea of what your car needs to reach. and just because "it's a new car," it does not mean that it is repairable.
The insurance adjuster said from the eye its about 9700 in damage. The 9700 includes parts and labor. That includes windows , lights, everything that was listed.

Just emailed their insurance.. Waiting for a response. Va requires 75% of the car damage to total the car.

Last edited by FRSure; 01-22-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #133
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
$100/hr for body/paint is insane. sorry. our rates in MD are $42/body, $42/paint, $26/paint material, $55/frame. thats pretty standard across the state. i do not see any body shop in the country (minus specialty shops) getting $100 for body/paint. damn near half of their work would be total losses with those rates
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
charged86 (01-22-2014), FRSure (01-22-2014), Jrohit (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #134
Jrohit

Quote:
The insurance adjuster said from the eye its about 9700 in damage. The 9700 includes parts and labor. That includes windows , lights, everything that was listed.

Just emailed their insurance.. Waiting for a response. Va requires 75% of the car damage to total the car.
Mine was $42 an hour also for labor. They didn't break your car down yet so they still have to see everything under the trunk, so to speak.

Last edited by Jrohit; 01-22-2014 at 02:08 PM. Reason: brake -> break
Jrohit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jrohit For This Useful Post:
FRSure (01-22-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #135
Gregory Gawaran

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It shouldn't be a total loss, at least from the pictures you sent. even if they had to section out the right quater panel. It really depends on the rails, how far pushed in they are, are there any crumples in the roof? if so the frame has been pushed up causing the damage to the roof, then in that event it may total.
Gregory Gawaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:00 AM   #136
BentAnat

Drives: 2013 86 STD SPW
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I know I had a similar fight with insurance in this part of the world as well, though around here, the INSURANCE gets the assessment done independently.

So I was sitting at 82% of value in damages EXCLUDING body panels (this was a Volvo, the engine drained of oil in an accident and seized, aircon shot, etc).
The Insurance got to ~60% of damages. I asked where they got the quotes, and got no response. So I argued that unless it was an authorised Volvo dealer, they were trying to shaft me. Since I saw the only Volvo dealer for my quote, I knew it wasn't. They tried to argue that the Aircon was not working beforehand, which was not true since it was running and working at the time of the accident (i had witnesses to that).
They tried to argue that things like the engine mountings didn't need to be replaced. I argued that with safety: "My Volvo dealer, clearly the autority in this matter, states that the engine mountings should be replaced as a safety precaution when replacing the motor..."

Eventually, the gave in and wrote the car off.
Safety is a BIG argument, and if the frame has even a ding in it, I would try to argue structural integrity in the case of an accident.
BentAnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #137
FRSure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentAnat View Post
I know I had a similar fight with insurance in this part of the world as well, though around here, the INSURANCE gets the assessment done independently.

So I was sitting at 82% of value in damages EXCLUDING body panels (this was a Volvo, the engine drained of oil in an accident and seized, aircon shot, etc).
The Insurance got to ~60% of damages. I asked where they got the quotes, and got no response. So I argued that unless it was an authorised Volvo dealer, they were trying to shaft me. Since I saw the only Volvo dealer for my quote, I knew it wasn't. They tried to argue that the Aircon was not working beforehand, which was not true since it was running and working at the time of the accident (i had witnesses to that).
They tried to argue that things like the engine mountings didn't need to be replaced. I argued that with safety: "My Volvo dealer, clearly the autority in this matter, states that the engine mountings should be replaced as a safety precaution when replacing the motor..."

Eventually, the gave in and wrote the car off.
Safety is a BIG argument, and if the frame has even a ding in it, I would try to argue structural integrity in the case of an accident.
The Toyota dealer is doing a teardown of my car on Monday.
What if they keep refusing to total the car even after trardown? Say only 60% is met and not 75%? I guess they won't total it.
And they will say the frame will be repaired to meet or exceed OEM..
Old 01-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #138
Pickleahoy

Drives: 10 Series #1617
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The Toyota dealer is doing a teardown of my car on Monday.
What if they keep refusing to total the car even after trardown? Say only 60% is met and not 75%? I guess they won't total it.
And they will say the frame will be repaired to meet or exceed OEM..
Exceed OEM on frame? lol how is that even possible... Oh yeah we hammered it straighter than the mold pushed it out, its totally nominal now thanks to our beating and your crash
Pickleahoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pickleahoy For This Useful Post:
FRSure (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #139
FRSure

Okay guys, the shop did a visual inspection, and said there is definitely frame damage. But the insurance will fix it If it does not exceed 75%. What are my options if they will not total the car and they insisting on fixing it?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:34 AM   #140
somejace

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Okay guys, the shop did a visual inspection, and said there is definitely frame damage. But the insurance will fix it If it does not exceed 75%. What are my options if they will not total the car and they insisting on fixing it?
Of course there's going to be damage to the unibody. Like I told you before, it depends how bad the numbers are. Anything can be straightened out..but it wont be the same. Sure it can meet oem measurements but doesn't mean it's has the same strength from before. If your worried about the numbers i'll send you my print out sheet from the place that inspected my car. Before and after.

I'd be patient about things. You're jumping to the gun and panicing it seems. Take a chill pill and let them do what they need to do. I don't remember where your from, but this is the time of year for wrecks with the weather the way it is. Get your rental car, contact a reputable, licensed, independent diminished value appraiser and if you already contacted your insurance company and they told you 75% than I don't see why they would take anything less than 75% of damages. I could be wrong about that though.
somejace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to somejace For This Useful Post:
FRSure (01-24-2014)