follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Exclamation OpenFlash Tablet: OFT 3-Touch Programming with Preloaded Tune File Database

Hi guys,
We have been working long hours these past few weeks to have this feature ready to launch by Jan 1st This update is primarily intended for the vast majority of users who want a more streamlined experience with using the OFT. Not everyone likes to fiddle with COM ports, cables or installers.

In fact, the purpose of this feature is to COMPLETELY eliminate the use of the laptop computer when using the OFT to write our free OTS files to the ECU. Currently, the OFT installation process consists of:

1) Download and install the OpenFlash Manager and OTS Map file from our website
2) Plug OFT into vehicle and read factory ECU
3) Uplug OFT from vehicle and plug into laptop via USB cable
4) Determine CAL ID from OpenFlash Manager software
5) Download maps from website and locate the map folder with your CAL ID
6) Manually upload the desired maps from you laptop to the OFT through the OpenFlash Manager software.
7) Go back out to vehicle, plug in the OFT, select Write menu and pick which one of the maps that you loaded (in step 5) you want to be written to the ECU

Total Requirements: OFT, A stable windows laptop, wifi connection, and 10-20 minutes with basic computer knowledge

Nothing terrible by any means. But there is always a question of operating system compliances, USB cable functionality, USB port compatibility, and those pesky computer gnomes that make life difficult from time to time. But we are always looking for ways to make the customer experience easier, SAFER, and more streamlined.

With the new OFT 3 Touch Programming feature, he's the whole process:
1) Plug OFT into vehicle and read factory ECU
2) After the 2 minute read is complete, the OFT will automatically generate and save up to discrete 5 tunes based upon your CAL ID (Stage 1, Stage 2 UEL, Stage 2 EL, Stage 2 UEL E85 and Stage 2 EL 85)
3) Go to tuning screen, pick which map you want and press "Write".

Total Requirements: 6 minutes and a functional finger

No laptop required. No need to even get out of your vehicle. And of course, your original ROM (that was saved in Step 1) is still stored safely in the OFT in case you ever need to revert back to 100% stock for any reason.

A couple things to know about pre-loaded/automatically generated maps.
-While you will see them in your list of 5 available tunes, hey cannot be downloaded from the OFT. They are read-protected. This is to provide dealers with the ability to lock their maps as to make CARB happy when it comes to approving turbo/sc kits.
-However, one or all of the preloaded maps can be over-written through the OpenFlash Manager software. Once overwritten with another files, those new files can be downloaded, viewed, edited, etc,. as usual.
-OTS will be shipping with this Preloaded Map File Database (over 50 different maps for different mods and different ROM types, both US and nonUS). The OFT will only display the ones that are compatible with your ROM type.
-Existing customers can upload this Map File Database themselves. The Database will be available on the website in the form of a database file (.dev). They can be loaded in your OFT using the new "ModFile Database" feature that you probably saw (and ignored) in the latest OF Manager software release

You'll be happy to know that loading 5 maps to the OFT through this feature only takes a few seconds, vs nearly 1 minute for loading maps the old way through the Uploads section.

Last edited by Shiv@Openflash; 12-23-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
akyp (12-21-2013), bakerr6 (12-20-2013), CamryDS (12-20-2013), clintavo (12-21-2013), Cross (12-24-2013), DAEMANO (12-21-2013), fstlane (12-20-2013), jamesm (12-20-2013), johnb831 (01-04-2014), JPxM0Dz (12-20-2013), Kakawate (01-02-2014), normancw (12-20-2013), PoorMansRacing (12-20-2013), PStaff716 (12-23-2013), Sargy (12-20-2013), SP86 (02-28-2014), Superhatch (12-20-2013), waterbison777 (12-21-2013), YMAA (12-21-2013), zex (12-20-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
bakerr6

Drives: 2013 raven black fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
-While you will see them in your list of 5 available tunes, hey cannot be downloaded from the OFT. They are read-protected. This is to provide dealers with the ability to lock their maps as to make CARB happy when it comes to approving turbo/sc kits.

Hmm I see what you did there. I'm patiently waiting
bakerr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerr6 View Post

Hmm I see what you did there. I'm patiently waiting
I am too

But the main purpose of this update is to make the user experience much simpler. Not that it was terribly complicated to begin with. For those who are uncomfortable with programming their car (yes, they are the usually silent majority), this new system makes it incredibility easy and risk-free.

Of course, it also provides for a mean to those developers who want to protect their work yet still make it accessible (but not readable) to those who want to enjoy it.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Victor Draken

Drives: Toyota Gt86
What about the map available Now on the website are you gonna keep them updated or not? I mean some ppl would like to modify the stage 2 uel for example but i dont see how can you do it if they are not readable and already installed in the OFT
Old 12-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Draken View Post
What about the map available Now on the website are you gonna keep them updated or not? I mean some ppl would like to modify the stage 2 uel for example but i dont see how can you do it if they are not readable and already installed in the OFT
The OTS maps that are downloadable off the website are going to remain as they are (unlocked and editable). No change there. The only difference is that new customers will either have to run the preloaded Map database tunes as-is. Or simply upload the same OTS maps from the website and get busy with them. The needs of both the basic users and more expert self-tuners are accounted for.

Locking preloaded maps was simply a concession made for the needs of certain tuners and turbo/sc kit manufacturers. As well as CARB compliance.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Smart approach, Everything is still as open as it ever was, but now tuners and CARB compliance seekers, have a tool that fulfills some niche needs.
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Fallen43
Banned

Drives: Sliver FRS done the way I like it
Garage
Question once the modfiles have been updated on the OFT i assume I will no longer need my laptop either at that point. ?
Fallen43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
garfull

Drives: FRS(sold), AP2, R35, FJC, ED9
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
What about newly released updated maps? The OFT will still need to be connected to a laptop to get those updates or the OFT wont have the latest and greatest?

I might be in the minority, but I personally don't have any issue with connecting to the laptop. I like being able to view the maps and see what changes have been made from one revision to the next.

Keep up the great work and awesome updates!
garfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen43 View Post
Question once the modfiles have been updated on the OFT i assume I will no longer need my laptop either at that point. ?
Correct you would not need your laptop once maps are preloaded into the OFT. The only time you would want to use it is to connecting your OFT to it for updates/improvements or to download/view datalogs. But still, much data viewing can be done natively on the OFT screen.

Shiv
Old 12-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfull View Post
What about newly released updated maps? The OFT will still need to be connected to a laptop to get those updates or the OFT wont have the latest and greatest?

I might be in the minority, but I personally don't have any issue with connecting to the laptop. I like being able to view the maps and see what changes have been made from one revision to the next.

Keep up the great work and awesome updates!
Yes, newest released maps will be released in both formats (preloaded database) and in on-site download. If that is what you prefer, nothing is changing. All we are doing is offering an option for those who don't want to muck with computers.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Congratulations on all of this, though admittedly these are not features I have any desire for. I'd like to ask one small favor though...when deploying this major feature update, please test the hell out of it before all of our OFTs auto-update to it. This seems like the sort of update that could really bork the devices if not tested fully.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
After reading your 'no need for flex-fuel kit' post I was wondering about something like this. In essence this should allow me to fill up a tank of E85 (or close to it), switch to my E85 map and run that map until I decide to move back to a 93RON tune. Once I'm full of 93 I can very easily switch back to my 93 tune w/o needing to pull out a laptop, do a bunch of wire swapping and spend 20m sitting at the pump before starting up.

If this is the case, it reminds me a lot of the Accessport which some of my STI/WRX friends use, but cheaper, and with open source tunes. Win/win in my book!
Old 12-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #13

Drives: UM86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Where is the ANY key??
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1086 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (12-20-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
After reading your 'no need for flex-fuel kit' post I was wondering about something like this. In essence this should allow me to fill up a tank of E85 (or close to it), switch to my E85 map and run that map until I decide to move back to a 93RON tune. Once I'm full of 93 I can very easily switch back to my 93 tune w/o needing to pull out a laptop, do a bunch of wire swapping and spend 20m sitting at the pump before starting up.

If this is the case, it reminds me a lot of the Accessport which some of my STI/WRX friends use, but cheaper, and with open source tunes. Win/win in my book!
you could do this before this update. The OFT holds 5 maps in it right now.