follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #15
infinite012
Banned

Drives: 13 DGM BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
You likely have a short with one of the plethora of electrical mods you have done.

Get rid of the HID kit first. See what happens.

Get rid of something else next. See what happens.

Rinse and repeat until your car is back to stock, then sell it.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #16
Rico415

Drives: 13FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFR-S View Post
so what battery should i go with? I'm not trying to spend 200 on a battery lol and is it easy to install? i have HIDs Spyder Tails, Fogs , LED side markers and signals and DRLs and reverse light

All them mods and you are worried about $200 for a good battery...

Seriously ......

Depending on how much extra load you added to this system you may need a bigger alternator to keep everything working as intended if driving along is draining the battery because of the extra load you could be fooked....
Rico415 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rico415 For This Useful Post:
JDM FRS (11-28-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
SloS14

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've seen quite a few threads where people are having electrical problems after pimping out their lights. Maybe it's a sign?
SloS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #18
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
You likely have a short with one of the plethora of electrical mods you have done.

Get rid of the HID kit first. See what happens.

Get rid of something else next. See what happens.

Rinse and repeat until your car is back to stock, then sell it.
yeah but my question is this why does the car work when i take the battery terminal off and put it back on, or why does the steering wheel shake sometimes when I'm going slow and turning ? i tested the alternator and it works bc i undid the terminal as the car was on
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #19
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
yeah but my question is this why does the car work when i take the battery terminal off and put it back on, or why does the steering wheel shake sometimes when I'm going slow and turning ? i tested the alternator and it works bc i undid the terminal as the car was on
That's not going to be an accurate test as your car's electrical draw at idle is going to be different while you're driving around with various electronics on.

Easiest thing to do is to get the battery and alternator tested. If those are good, then you've got an electrical problem elsewhere and now you're going to have to play the take one piece out at a time until you find the problem game.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
That's not going to be an accurate test as your car's electrical draw at idle is going to be different while you're driving around with various electronics on.

Easiest thing to do is to get the battery and alternator tested. If those are good, then you've got an electrical problem elsewhere and now you're going to have to play the take one piece out at a time until you find the problem game.
Okay and should a regular mechanic be able to test this ? Weird as my car was done today and had no problems
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:01 AM   #21
JDM FRS

Drives: Scion FRS(Whiteout)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Okay and should a regular mechanic be able to test this ? Weird as my car was done today and had no problems
Go to autozone or orielly and pull the battery in the parking lot. They can test it in store.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
JDM FRS is offline   Reply With Quote