follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
Young_makaveli

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I never have popping noise while driving

Only sometimes after its been off over night
Young_makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeCal View Post
I know of 2 people with the supposed EcuTek "fix", have their seals pop. Me being one of them. I had 2 seals go out before the "fix". I updated my tune with the EcuTek "fix", and STILL had 2 more seals disintegrate on me.

I use quotes around "fix", because I personally don't think the "fix" did jack to help this issue. I'm sure you know who the 2nd person is, but I don't feel I should comment on that.
Well we will see what happens. Going to replace all of them and just roll with that and see how things go. I'm planning on boosting more so I would feel safer just replacing the seals then boosting it on the dyno.
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:37 AM   #17
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
I know of 2 people with the supposed EcuTek "fix", have their seals pop. Me being one of them. I had 2 seals go out before the "fix". I updated my tune with the EcuTek "fix", and STILL had 2 more seals disintegrate on me.
I'm still trying to understand the proximate cause of this DI seal problem. I have been suspicious of the "tune" fix. Many said, "It's fixed." And I thought, "We'll see." And now, you guys are here to tell us that you've had the "tune" fix, yet your car has suffered yet again with blown seals.

Do you have an idea as to what the cause is?

Do you track your car?

Quote:
I use quotes around "fix", because I personally don't think the "fix" did jack to help this issue. I'm sure you know who the 2nd person is, but I don't feel I should comment on that.
Without identifying the owner/driver of this second car, can you confirm whether that car is tracked?

Thanks.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-13-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #18
ahaghshenas

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
So is there an actual fix for the DI seal and popping noise? I have seen people mention that it was fixed via a pcm update from the dealer. I haven't actually heard of a "better seal", but I have heard of people changing the seal out and the popping being gone. Would the DI problem be non existent with the new flash and the new seals if someone were to already have the DI seal issue?

Any input would be fantastic. thanks!
Some upgraded seals from Japan

http://www.autofactory.jp/product/to...=s&pm=t&seq=34
ahaghshenas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ahaghshenas For This Useful Post:
ft86me (11-11-2013), Sportsguy83 (11-11-2013), strat61caster (11-13-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaghshenas View Post

Are these seals more heat resistant?

My thought is that the seals are not being "blown off," they're being melted from sustained excessive heat.

But, that's no more than a guess as I ponder this phenomenon. Others know a great deal more than I do.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
Rampage (11-16-2013), strat61caster (11-13-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #20
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
...I updated my tune with the EcuTek "fix"...
Since it's an EcuTek I assume you were not able to confirm looking at TIR table that you indeed have that table corrected (and what the new values are), right?

At this point I'm waiting to see if any A01C cars will have blown seals.
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #21
ft86me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahaghshenas View Post
I'm not sure about these cus it's not what toyota is recommending but I could give these a shot. Idk if my installers would be open to using these though. Thank you though !! Bookmarking!
Old 11-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #22
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Do you have an idea as to what the cause is?

Do you track your car?

Without identifying the owner/driver of this second car, can you confirm whether that car is tracked?
Hi-
I have no idea what the cause really is. I have had someone say Bill at Delicious Tuning has a theory, and does something different with his tunes. But, I'm not 100% sure if his tunes are less susceptible to this failure or not. I plan to go FI sometime in the near future, and will use Bill to tune my car.

Yes, I do track my car...about once a month.

Yes, the second car is tracked as well.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TemeCal For This Useful Post:
Porsche (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #23
TemeCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgi View Post
Since it's an EcuTek I assume you were not able to confirm looking at TIR table that you indeed have that table corrected (and what the new values are), right?

At this point I'm waiting to see if any A01C cars will have blown seals.
No, I was not able to confirm I had the corrected table values. I actually triple checked with my tuner, to confirm I had the "fix" in my tune. He swears, and confirmed multiple times with me, that I had the "fix". So, I'm just going off his word that I had the corrected table.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #24
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,344 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
I think at this point its fair to say if you track the car whether stock or modified you are at a higher level of risk to have the problem than if you either never track the car or do so very rarely.

Of course there have been non-tracked cars with the issue, but the majority has been tracked cars regardless of modifications.

(Please correct me if wrong).
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (11-13-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #25
ft86me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
I think at this point its fair to say if you track the car whether stock or modified you are at a higher level of risk to have the problem than if you either never track the car or do so very rarely.

Of course there have been non-tracked cars with the issue, but the majority has been tracked.

(Please correct me if wrong).
That's what I've heard and noticed as well. I got my pop with a tune but without the update so I got it after track day. Got the updated tune after that and it's not as bad as it used to be. Kinda rare except in the higher rpms close to red and cold starts after sitting a day.

I'm getting a new pulley for my vortech and upgrading the fuel system and the seals at once so I would assume I'll be safe since I won't be tracking the car and if I do push the car it's a canyon run or some spirited driving.

All in all, I agree with what you said.
The Following User Says Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (11-11-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #26
TemeCal

Quote:
That's what I've heard and noticed as well. I got my pop with a tune but without the update so I got it after track day. Got the updated tune after that and it's not as bad as it used to be. Kinda rare except in the higher rpms close to red and cold starts after sitting a day.

I'm getting a new pulley for my vortech and upgrading the fuel system and the seals at once so I would assume I'll be safe since I won't be tracking the car and if I do push the car it's a canyon run or some spirited driving.

All in all, I agree with what you said.
The tune won't fix/correct a seal that is already toast. If your seal is gone, you will know it. I'm talking VERY loud firecracker noises.

So, if you had popping noises before the tune update...you should check your DI seals. You will harm your engine, if you continue driving it hard with damaged seals.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #27
ft86me

Quote:
The tune won't fix/correct a seal that is already toast. If your seal is gone, you will know it. I'm talking VERY loud firecracker noises.

So, if you had popping noises before the tune update...you should check your DI seals. You will harm your engine, if you continue driving it hard with damaged seals.
I already know this and hence why I said I'm changing the seals along w the pulley and fuel upgrades. It's just not as bad of a pop now and I don't push the car now. Loud firecracker ? Mine isn't a firecracker just a little pop
Old 11-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #28
TemeCal

Quote:
I already know this and hence why I said I'm changing the seals along w the pulley and fuel upgrades. It's just not as bad of a pop now and I don't push the car now. Loud firecracker ? Mine isn't a firecracker just a little pop
It's very, very noticeable if your seals are gone. It's not a quiet, little pop...it's very loud (if you have your hood open and listening to it). PM me your email address, and I can send you video of my popping noise. You can at least see if it's similar to what you're hearing.

If you do have seals that are gone, then you're doing the right thing replacing them w/ the pulley and fuel upgrades.
The Following User Says Thank You to TemeCal For This Useful Post:
ft86me (11-11-2013)