follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #29
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
If you didn't cut your oem bumpstops that's probably why your ride is so rough. Only the Eibachs and Hotchkis springs come with shorter bumpstops. I can definitely feel the bumps a little more since lowering it but it's not like this care was soft to begin with. The ride is still oemish to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
hmm, I better check. I didn't do anything to the bumpstops but I figured it wouldn't even be close if the drop is only 1". ill ask around.

MotegiRacing - TRD Racing -OemAudio++- Michellin Pilot SuperSports- Greddy -FiveAxis - SparksScion - BlueBat Overlays -Pioneer -SWIFT Engineering Sports- Evasive Motorsports-
SoCAL
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #30
Ocean-Grown 86
It was fun

Drives: Dirty FR-S
Garage
My Tein S-Tech springs are fine on most occasions, but I fear they might put excessive wear on the shocks (at least that's what lots of people say). I'm not even sure if they help performance--according to the motoiq blog, the stock tires and significantly stiffer springs are not a good combination. The worst part is how the car beats the shit out of me on these horrid LA roads.
Ocean-Grown 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #31
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,005 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Still really like my RCE Yellows, over a year on them now. I'll be going to coilovers soon as I need better dampers and want to be able to corner balance the car. RCE has a really good price on the Olhins...http://www.racecompengineering.com/i...r-brz-frs.html

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (11-09-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 01:31 AM   #32
rikdrt1
Hypnotic FRS Member

Drives: FR-S [Raven]
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean-Grown 86 View Post
My Tein S-Tech springs are fine on most occasions, but I fear they might put excessive wear on the shocks (at least that's what lots of people say). I'm not even sure if they help performance--according to the motoiq blog, the stock tires and significantly stiffer springs are not a good combination. The worst part is how the car beats the shit out of me on these horrid LA roads.
I heard the Tein are the stiffest. but someone said check the bumpstop .. ? I don't think they are hitting the bumpstps.. I don't even know how I can even move the car to test that - definitiely don't feel any bottoming or bumpstop hit. I think what I am feeling is the shorter stroke of the stock struts/shocks. I think.

MotegiRacing - TRD Racing -OemAudio++- Michellin Pilot SuperSports- Greddy -FiveAxis - SparksScion - BlueBat Overlays -Pioneer -SWIFT Engineering Sports- Evasive Motorsports-
SoCAL
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:04 AM   #33
Ocean-Grown 86
It was fun

Drives: Dirty FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikdrt1 View Post
I heard the Tein are the stiffest. but someone said check the bumpstop .. ? I don't think they are hitting the bumpstps.. I don't even know how I can even move the car to test that - definitiely don't feel any bottoming or bumpstop hit. I think what I am feeling is the shorter stroke of the stock struts/shocks. I think.
According to the sticky thread, they are 3.3k/5.0k front/rear. They are in fact the stiffest ones listed. The sticky also says they give a 1.0/1.2 inch drop, but several different vendors give different heights. I think they're actually 1.5" lower.

I cut the rear bumpstops to install the Tein springs. On smooth to moderately worn streets (OC suburbs) they ride fine. But they do bottom out easily on bumpy urban roads (i.e reduced suspension travel due to drop) and that's when the ride can become intolerable. You can see for yourself on horrible downtown LA roads with pushed in pot holes, folds where asphalt and harder compounds meet, and those abominable metal construction plates. That said, I think a 1.5" drop looks fantastic, like a nice mix of stance and function. Just do it the right way, if you want it to retain that balance.

On a side note, does anybody know if it's safe to run cut rear bumpstops with stock springs? I would guess and hope it is because new ones are not cheap.
Ocean-Grown 86 is offline   Reply With Quote