follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #99
Khazzy

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Care to elaborate on why you wouldn't drive a Miata?
A few reasons. I do not like how they look, I do not like convertibles, and it is too small for what I need to do daily (BRZ has just enough room). My exception to the convertible though is an S2000 but I love how those look, and it would have the hard top. The Miata is just not my cup of tea. Rode in a buddies Miata, it was fun sure, but I liked my BRZ better.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #100
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
This is so so true, I've been roasted by some for saying this FA20 isn't near as strong an engine (power and durability) as the K20, F20c, or 2zz.

People from the digital age always think newer tech = better but it doesn't when governments steer technology and the design engineer makes a bad decision (saying no to DIT.) Same things happened with cars in the 70's.

The good news is that good tuning and a header is showing to undo some of the damage that the regulatory red tape caused.
new is pretty much always better but its different and often met with an irrational dislike. emission laws in the sixties ruined cars too but now the mustang has 420 horsepower. cars today have so much more power than they ever have before and its not despite technology. its because of it. all of the motors you mentioned have cool things like a higher rev limit and multiple cam profiles.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #101
sofrsnsokleen
GEARS!!???

Drives: raven black 2013 scion fr-s
Location: the southeast side of san antonio, where the players play!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
bottom line, this kid got the newest "sports car" on the market and didn't do any research and obviously has no knowledge on performance. He's complaining about putting 3k in mods but never thought to add headers, exhaust and possibly a turbo? The frs/brz IS A SLOW STREET CAR. you should've just picked up a wrx when you "traded" your first brz. anyways, i smell lies, lol
sofrsnsokleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #102
himbo

Drives: Lightening Red BRZ Ltd.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Actually, I don't think twins are slow at all. It's light enough and the engine is quite peppy. Coming from a WRX or a Cayman, or a Z, this car might seem slow. But it's perfectly adept at getting me up to highway speeds and passing a car or truck. I feel like everyone is obsessed with more and more power. My car before this was an 08 Impreza and that has 170hp, plenty enough to get me in trouble and keep up with other cars. It served me well at autox events. I don't race on the streets so there's no pissing match between me and every other car.

Everyone talks about being passed by a minivan, but if you're doing 65mph and the minivan is doing 70mph, then guess what... You're gonna get passed by a minivan. Same in any car. If you feel too proud of being passed by a minivan, drop a gear and hit the gas.
himbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #103
Steve201brz

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by himbo View Post
drop a gear and hit the gas.
+1. I've never had a problem merging or passing slow traffic. Keep it at 4k+ and you're going to feel like what you're doing is illegal. Let me clearify, it will feel like the fun you're having is illegal.

I've seen comments in a few different places where owners are unhappy about getting overtaken or not being able to pass a prius. Why do people want more power for DD? So that they don't have to hit the gas pedal as much to overtake slow traffic?
Steve201brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve201brz For This Useful Post:
MightyMeeple (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #104
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
+2 to this ^

When I merge onto the interstate, or I need to pass on the interstate/highway....it is a downshift (typically to 3rd gear), WOT, and I have no problems getting where I need to be.

It's loud, it's rough and damn I love it. That's what driving this car is all about...it takes some effort to use the powerband, but it's there if you keep the rpms up. I have never had a problem with passing another car.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #105
feedbag
Seasoned Spirit

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You should check out the Visconti E85 flex fuel kit, I hear it provides great performance gains. Your car will be blazing fast in no time.
feedbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #106
ajcacio

Drives: DGM BRZ-L
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I dunno I have a lot more fun being sideways and slow than I ever did going fast in straight line with my WRX, STi, or Mazdaspeed3.
ajcacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #107
GNS

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Research turbo kits, pick one, budget for it and just go for it. Don't just pick any kit, make sure that they prioritize engine reliability and safety over power, or you'll get fucked. Look up Crawford:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLP-HCcX9as"]The 450 HP Crawford Performance Turbo BRZ - /TUNED - YouTube[/ame]

Disclaimer: I don't have a turbo kit. I never plan to have one. But N/A mods won't do shit for this car, you will need FI (forced induction). Selling this car and going to a Gen Coupe would be a big mistake, just ask thill - he came from a Gen Coupe and believe me, it's a far cry from the FRS/BRZ in terms of being a driver's car.
GNS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GNS For This Useful Post:
WhiteThenGreyBRZ (10-31-2013)

Tags
back to kinder, cla 45 amg, colt 45 amg, da fuq, going turbo, lack of torque, lightning mcqueen, my eyes, next gen brz, performance issues, sweet mother of fonts