follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
mush

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 Series #81 of 2500
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintertrueno86 View Post
My friend has a CLA45 on order, he's trading in his C63 for it.

I can't even imagine how common the CLA250 is going be with that kind of base price.

If I had to choose an entry level luxury car right now, I'd get the new IS250 F-Sport.
hes giving up his v8!?
look at how many C class are out there, times that by 5 and thats probably how many cla250 theres gonna be on the road
mush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #16
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I think you should do the FRS + Innovate supercharger

Who cares about luxury when your enjoying a raw bare essentials sports car? I don't need my seats to warm my butt, my seats to adjust to everybody who sits in *my* seat lol.
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #17
Anaxilus
Banned

Drives: They have four wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mush View Post
i would NOT get a CLA over a FRS... unless it was a CLA 45

i came from a 2013 lexus gs350 f sport, i do miss it sometimes, but i feel the FRS fits me better right now
This ^. I thought about the 45 but a couple things bother me specifically. The wheel wells are too unbalanced and disproportionately small for the mass of the body. The rear is even more unbalanced by this problem, something MB exaggerated w/ the CLA more so than Caddy has w/ its current lineup. Can't stand how it looks directly from the side. I also hate the cheap looking static screen that just sits there like a $200 knock off tablet from China. If I were you, I'd keep the FRS and get the CLA based SUV instead to cover more bases.

Personally I've always been into lightweight, agile cars. Few years ago thought I might be getting softer so picked up something w/ leather, wood, turbo and AWD to replace a beater sedan. A few years later, I'm really tired of it for DD. Too big, fat and unresponsive. That's why I got the FRS which matches my driving style/attitude much better, gets better mileage and carries more cargo. I know now, I'll never be happy to DD anything tall w/ 4 doors that ways more than 2,700-2,800lbs. I prize being one w/ car and road w/ instant response to my will as number one. The FRS will probably be the furthest away from that I'll ever go in a DD from now on.

So the lesson here is, stop trying to figure out whether to go fwd sedan or rwd coupe and figure yourself out first. Once you learn about yourself, you'll stop benchmarking hypotheticals and find what makes you happy in real life. Then the answer will be clear.

So who are you really? The plush and oblivious A-hole Merc driver or the zippy crotch rocket guy in tune w/ death's doorstep?

On a side note, one thing I hate about many sedans is the lack of fold down rear seating. Total waste of utility for such a big heavy beast. Any car w/o trunk pass through is automatically DQ'd for me unless it's MR.
Anaxilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #18
Sivtec

Drives: 12 Mitsu Evo X, 09 Honda CBR 600 RR
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:

I can't even imagine how common the CLA250 is going be with that kind of base price.

If I had to choose an entry level luxury car right now, I'd get the new IS250 F-Sport.
O boy... getting rid of the C63, that's quite a move. I was checking out the Agency Power C63 and wow... That thing is a monster...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonolin View Post
I think you should do the FRS + Innovate supercharger

Who cares about luxury when your enjoying a raw bare essentials sports car? I don't need my seats to warm my butt, my seats to adjust to everybody who sits in *my* seat lol.
Yea I have been thinking about going FI. In reality it makes a lot of sense in terms of price. I get the power and I get to keep my FRS, but it still does have that cheap factor to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post
This ^. I thought about the 45 but a couple things bother me specifically. The wheel wells are too unbalanced and disproportionately small for the mass of the body. The rear is even more unbalanced by this problem, something MB exaggerated w/ the CLA more so than Caddy has w/ its current lineup. Can't stand how it looks directly from the side. I also hate the cheap looking static screen that just sits there like a $200 knock off tablet from China. If I were you, I'd keep the FRS and get the CLA based SUV instead to cover more bases.

Personally I've always been into lightweight, agile cars. Few years ago thought I might be getting softer so picked up something w/ leather, wood, turbo and AWD to replace a beater sedan. A few years later, I'm really tired of it for DD. Too big, fat and unresponsive. That's why I got the FRS which matches my driving style/attitude much better, gets better mileage and carries more cargo. I know now, I'll never be happy to DD anything tall w/ 4 doors that ways more than 2,700-2,800lbs. I prize being one w/ car and road w/ instant response to my will as number one. The FRS will probably be the furthest away from that I'll ever go in a DD from now on.

So the lesson here is, stop trying to figure out whether to go fwd sedan or rwd coupe and figure yourself out first. Once you learn about yourself, you'll stop benchmarking hypotheticals and find what makes you happy in real life. Then the answer will be clear.

So who are you really? The plush and oblivious A-hole Merc driver or the zippy crotch rocket guy in tune w/ death's doorstep?

On a side note, one thing I hate about many sedans is the lack of fold down rear seating. Total waste of utility for such a big heavy beast. Any car w/o trunk pass through is automatically DQ'd for me unless it's MR.
Understandable. And I wouldn't say ALL merc drivers are A-holes... just the majority lol. I am 85% sure I am going to stay with what I have. After losing the torque dip, it just feels so much more fun to drive. And coming from a civic, I can live without the luxury.

-2013 Scion Raven FR-S
-2009 Honda Green/Black CBR600RR
Sivtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
i came from a 2013 lexus gs350 f sport, i do miss it sometimes, but i feel the FRS fits me better right now
wow you didn't keep that for very long lol. Imagine if those Lexus sedans came with manual transmissions...
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #20
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I am not sure I love the front end on this car. It (the grill/front) seems disproportionate to the rest of the car. Otherwise it seems lie a solid deal for a Mercedes. That said no manual, and many reviews say the dual clutch tranny is vague... I would like to drive one, but this car is no FT86...
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:13 AM   #21
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Sounds like peeps looking for a CLA 250, but wanting it to be a bit more "86ish" should be looking into a Cadillac ATS 2.0T w/ manual trans.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuR1l30ySZA"]Road Test: 2013 Cadillac ATS - YouTube[/ame]

I was also stuck against getting a Caddy, but the car has most of what people have mentioned that the CLA 250 is lacking. The ATS made my very short list, but eventually figured I didn't need the rear doors.

2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T (MT)
$34,900 MSRP - Selling for $31,000 OTD in most areas.
RWD - 6 speed manual trans
272 hp @ 5500 rpm
260 ft-lbs. @ 1700 rpm
50/50 weight distribution
Limited Slip Diff
21/31 MPG

http://modifiedcars.biz/2013-cadillac-ats-sports-sedan/

DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Gixxersixxerman (09-04-2013), Sivtec (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 02:34 AM   #22
sprintertrueno86

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
hes giving up his v8!?
look at how many C class are out there, times that by 5 and thats probably how many cla250 theres gonna be on the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivtec View Post
O boy... getting rid of the C63, that's quite a move. I was checking out the Agency Power C63 and wow... That thing is a monster...
It's his daily and his commute is over an hr so MPG might be a factor. I thought he was going to get the C63 Coupe but nope.
sprintertrueno86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #23
caradd

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do not buy the low end model of a luxury brand. Unless you are a badge whore you will get bored really quick.

And you're not going to find one for 30k. Most will be optioned out and would probably be in the mid to high 30's.
caradd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caradd For This Useful Post:
muffinz (10-16-2013), sprintertrueno86 (10-17-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #24
qijian

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
i just tried *building* my CLA this weekend and with only the sports package and headlights... it was like 35k+. I seriously would just keep the frs unless you want to move on to classy cars and brands. If i could do it over... i'd get the FRS because of my age and where I am in life... now give me another 4 years and I'd buy the CLA any day.
qijian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #25
andrew

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S 6AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I actually drove a CLA last week. It was priced at 41k and had a racing inspired interior. The exterior looks really nice. Compared to the FR-S (if you can), when the driver seat is set up for my 6'5" frame, there is no room behind me (just like the FR-S). The driver and front passenger doors are really small and I sit well behind the post in between both font and back doors. I found the engine rather sluggish. I asked about the AMG 65 version and they said they would be getting some in and would be priced around 65k. (My only beef with the 65k price is that you can get a C-Class coupe that is way nicer for less.) This past weekend I ended up buying another FR-S. Not that I was deciding on either of the two as I have been wanting my own FR-S ever since my wife sold her's and bought a Lexus.
andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #26
andrew

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine Scion FR-S 6AT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

We had the 2011 IS250 F-Sport Pearl White. Now the wife has a 2013 IS250C F-Sport Black. Drives the same and has that great exhaust sound.
andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #27
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Jesus, 26psi boost from the factory? And BMW thought they were cool for going 19 on the new M4.

I saw a CLA on the dealer lot a few weeks ago, I really dislike the looks. The front grille looks like the new iPhone 5C case.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #28
GMU-BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qijian View Post
i just tried *building* my CLA this weekend and with only the sports package and headlights... it was like 35k+. I seriously would just keep the frs unless you want to move on to classy cars and brands. If i could do it over... i'd get the FRS because of my age and where I am in life... now give me another 4 years and I'd buy the CLA any day.
Yep I used the build your feature and kept getting $37k. That's the price you see a lot of them at on lots.

Also, I saw my first one on the road yesterday. Then I saw my second one on the road yesterday. Great looking cars, good price point, but they're gonna be everywhere.
GMU-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote