follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #43
serith

Drives: 2009 Scion tC RS 5.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
what did it cost you to get out of your current FRS and into the RS10?
09 RS 5.0 -- #862 of 2000 -- 5spd
serith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #44
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Let's all be honest here. If next year they put out an American "Toyota GT86" I'm sure we'd have numerous owners on here trading their cars in, so I'm not going to be critical about this.

If the 10 series came in yellow, I probably would have done the same.

I'm not trading mine in until they come out with a power increase .... which they will.

To OP: Did you cross-shop the BRZ before you bought the 1st FRS?
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #45
SilentAngel

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Not trying to criticize or anything, but how come you just didn't get a BRZ Limited to begin with? It's about the same thing as the FRS 10 Series.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #46
TRD-X

Drives: Da-Big Banana
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAngel View Post
Not trying to criticize or anything, but how come you just didn't get a BRZ Limited to begin with? It's about the same thing as the FRS 10 Series.
Maybe because the 10 Series is the closest as your going to get to owning a FT-86 in the states.

The car started out being a Toyota FT-86 (concept) and not a FR-S or BRZ.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #47
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
mostly interested in the hit you took on the s4
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #48
pwguy

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAngel View Post
Well I'm not the OP but here are my reasons.

1. Don't want a spoiler
2. Prefer the front end styling of the FR-S
3. Prefer cloth to leather for seating surfaces
4. The Scion dealer is about 100 miles closer than the Subaru dealers
5. I was able to find an FR-S within 100 miles but no BRZs within 200 miles
6. I prefer the touch screen audio/GPS on the 10 Series to the BRZ unit

I wanted one of the two models but nothing fit until the 10 Series FR-S came along. I will still need to add several items like back-up camera, Homelink mirror and the PT296-00140 GPS module but for me it is a no brainer to pick the FR-S 10 Series which I will pick up next week.
pwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwguy For This Useful Post:
Frstorm (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #49
Anaxilus
Banned

Drives: They have four wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Not gonna get into the FRS v. BRZ thing as that's been beaten to death but I'm definitely in the FRS camp for reasons already stated and then some.

Things I'm digging on my 10:

1-Paint is gorgeous and I don't even like silver cars. It really is special, almost hides any orange peel. I also hate flake like in the ultramarine but the 10's paint is so fine and well dispersed it makes the paint seem flatter and smoother even though it has metal flake. I love the grey/cement look. I love when it goes blues. I love when it flashes gold and green hues under direct light. I still pop into the garage a couple times a day just to look at the paint change under various shadows and reflections during different times of day.

2-Push button start and keyless entry are big deals. Sick of wasting time w/ keys. Talk about the driving experience. Walk up to car, open locked door by pulling handle, sit, push button, go driving! That is part of the driving experience everytime you get in the car, not just when going sideways at high speed.

3-I'm liking the radio more than I thought I would. I was going to swap out to aftermarket straight away but Bluetooth and /HD Radio work great so far as intended. HD Radio has been very nice so far.

4-The LED DRLs look just vicious during the day, love the vibe they give off. I also have the module to get them working w/ the HIDs at night.

5-Center stack is working well, better than anticipated after some had concerns about lack of proper cooling. So it's working better than I anticipated and accurate enough to my settings.

6-Love the frameless mirror, look so classy. I'm normally a Broadway guy and was going to just cover it up. But the C-pillars are just too big anyway so it stays. Homelink is okay but looks kind of bulky. Have it in my Legacy and never use it cause it's covered by a Broadway.

7-Personally I like the look of the badges at night when they welcome me to the car or as a proximity light in case you get spun around in a parking structure in the middle of the night.

8-Ended up being cheaper than the BRZ after much shopping and haggling.

9-10 series trunk mat is nice.

Things I don't like on the 10:

1-The LED badges during the day look like utter shit under bright sunlight. Not enough range on the antennas to be a real proximity light and welcoming feature. Wish I could increase the range w/o having to press the button on the fob.

2-Red interior trim. Uh no, silver or grey please.

3-Trunk mat is too nice to use, will find a cover to keep from damaging it. Anyone know of any clear trunk mats?

4-Treated like a 2013 model in some regards. Pads, maybe fuel pump?

5-Price; even though I got a good deal.

6-Buying experience is awful. Explaining and dealing w/ the 10 series differences for banks, dealers and insurance was a frickin' chore and made me want to go postal.

7-Silver faux CF is worse looking than the black 'T' fiber on the FRS. Might swap to the BRZ silver panels which also look better w/ aftermarket HUs using the silver trim piece.

8-Scion dash light sequence was changed from Scion fading out to leave the 'IO' as a '10'. Now it cycles w/o fading which is uber cheesy. Wonder if this can be techstreamed back to the car show sequence.

Last edited by Anaxilus; 09-04-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Anaxilus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anaxilus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #50
Obsidiank
10 Series Fanatic

Drives: Scion FR-S 10
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnOvertime View Post
Glad you like the 10 series. The HID's and the look of the climate control were the only things about the 10 series I liked.

The light up badges are a gimmick and I would be removing them as fast as possible. However in the end, the color killed any hope of the 10 series for me. I will admit it looks better in person than in the promos, but the color does nothing for me.
Unless I'm mistaken and I could be, not a single 10 series owner has openly said they disabled the lightup badges. The overwhelming opinion is that in person, it's actually kinda cool and goes away within 10 seconds. Will take me longer to unplug the damn harness.
Obsidiank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Obsidiank For This Useful Post:
dnieves (11-03-2013), TRD-X (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #51
86BRZ

Drives: BRZ Limited arrived on 9/1/2012
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Would you consider re badge mod to GT86 ?
86BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #52
forzajuve
Banned

Drives: Ultramarine 86 - 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Your choices do not make a whole lot of sense. Of course, when you look at how careless you are with your money, your choices then make sense. You lost $4,000 on your first purchase/trade-in (if I have that right) THEN you decided to spend even more money to get a 10 series so that you could get cosmetic/technology upgrades, which then put you at a greater loss of money. All the while you could have just made the cosmetic/technology upgrades on the original FRS....

OR better yet you could have just gotten a BRZ Limited initially.

To throw a number out there, anyone can correct me if I am wrong, for $4,000 you could have easily upgraded your original FRS to be even better than the 10 series in the cosmetic/technology department (especially because you have the choice of what to put. A tablet in the dash perhaps? Whatever you want!) Am I right?

Seems excessively wasteful and careless for just some minor (petty if you will) upgrades...

Good luck

Last edited by forzajuve; 09-05-2013 at 01:25 AM.
forzajuve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #53
ruskymx

Drives: 13 HotLava FRS, 93 4Runner, 97 Taco
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Keep an eye on the PA section for meets/drives! It's a blast! I'm hoping we can get another one before winter gets here. Congrats!
ruskymx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #54
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
The badge doesn't light up while driving...
Hmmm. I was referring to police badges.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #55
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,954 Times in 16,478 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Oh, NetMagi, just enjoy your new machine .... life is too short to drive a car you're not happy with ....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:28 AM   #56
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Hey man if you are happy with your decision then congrats.

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kelbyat07 For This Useful Post:
dnieves (11-03-2013)