follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #99
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
I get to the car, I grab the door handle to open the door, the car unlocks the second it feels skin touch the inside of the doorhandle and allows me into the car. There's one motion; pulling the door handle. And there is no button on my RX350. The on the outside of the doorhandle towards the front, where you don't normally touch, there is an indentation that is also touch sensitive. I tap there as I leave the car and the car is locked.

The button on the door of say, an IS350, which is not hard to find as it's always at the rear of the door handle and feels like rubber as opposed to plastic, is only for locking the door.

That is how Lexus keys work. The other manufacturers that force you to press the button for entry are doing it wrong.
Quote:
Then go build yourself a Locost and leave the modern street cars that people would actually want to drive every day to the rest of us.
Really, you're gonna talk shit when you don't even know how your Lexus key works!

My girl n I went out for sushi tonight and on her '08 IS250 you don't even have to touch the door handle for it to unlock. As soon as you get with several inches from the door, the courtesy lights all come on and the door unlocks. She had a slight fail though as soon as we got in b/c she put her purse behind her in the back seat, kind of underneath the drivers seat and it must have been blocked by the seat or by all of her junk in her purse b/c it didn't start at first, the LED light was orange instead of green. Once she got her purse and put it on the passenger floor she started it right up.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #100
KevinDuMa

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
Don't be absurd, odd things break all the time on vehicles. I maintain my current car but that didn't stop the rear wiper fluid hose from getting disconnected up inside the headliner through no fault of my own.

I guess I should have paid for that expensive preventative maintenance schedule, surely they would have noticed it becoming loose

Yes, it most certainly is something else to fix. Anything electronic most likely will require maintenance after many years. Some of us actually intend to keep the vehicle for well over 5 years. Power windows don't last as long as roll-ups, power antennas also break significantly sooner than non moving ones, power locks break more often than non-powered locks...the list goes on and on.

You must not have owned many vehicles in your time, or didn't keep them long enough to experience these problems. Your reply is ridiculous.
Seriously? I'm 24 and I've owned 5 vehicles so don't talk like you know me. If you don't like the push start just say so otherwise why don't you tell us you don't like digital tachometers, automatic door locks, air conditioning, windshield wipers, HIDS, etc. The list goes on on what can potentially fail but does it happen to everyone? No. I have several friends that have the push to start on their car, one of them owns a 2008 Lexus is250, is it still working? Like the day he bought it. My cousin has a 2009 370z and any source of problems with his? No. You are obviously purely hating on something just because you don't like it, and if you don't that's fine but saying you don't want it because it's gonna "break" or "mess up" doesn't make sense. If you look at all of Nissan and Lexus' and even Hyundai's line up most of their cars don't even have a traditional key anymore so if it's so "prone to electronically fail" why would they even bother with it? Take a chill pill guy no one's dying over this. You sound like you're just bitter towards new technology. Power antennas? When was the last time they even made a car with that and seriously roll up windows? We're not in the 90s anymore...do you still see these items on a car? Back when power windows and automatic lights were created I'm sure there were probably people just like you that didn't like it because they thought it could have potential failure and just something else to fix but overtime it's what's going to be standard on every car eventually. Hate it or love it.

Last edited by KevinDuMa; 01-19-2012 at 02:10 AM.
KevinDuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #101
statuskuo

Drives: Honda Civic Coupe EX (2000)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Push start is not a passing fad. Its implementation by carmakers is only increasing; it's only a matter of time til it completely phases out the traditional turnkey.

It'll be an option so non-forward thinkers can opt out if they don't want to get with the times.
Couldn't have said it better myself
statuskuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #102
Kunzite

Drives: Toyota Auris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you View Post
Obviously they don't go into to details, but here's the general information:

Hackers break into Subaru Outback via text message
Thank you.
But from what I see it wasn't the Smart Entry&Start system that got hacked; but a Remote Engine Start system.
Kunzite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #103
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDuMa View Post
Seriously? I'm 24 and I've owned 5 vehicles so don't talk like you know me.
And there it is...24 years old and 5 vehicles. If you read what I wrote I included the fact that you must not have kept your vehicles long enough to experience the problems I spoke of.

5 vehicles in 8 years...I've had my 1 current vehicle longer than your entire driving history!

Reading comprehension goes a long way.
p.s. I don't like digital tachometers or speedometers. As for roll-up windows, it's a cost saving measure. It worked fine for the older Civics that were so small(and inexpensive @$12k) you didn't need power. Everything they add power too results in an increased cost. that is my main complaint towards it. I never said I hated it, it's actually pretty cool, but you're going to pay for it. I'd like the car to be as inexpensive as possible.

Last edited by fistpoint; 01-19-2012 at 03:01 AM.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #104
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by statuskuo View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself
Just like hd radio and bluetooth, sooner or later all scions will have push start. Hey the FR-S could still offer it. According to scion "options" have not been announced yet but will be soon.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #105
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
Really, you're gonna talk shit when you don't even know how your Lexus key works!

My girl n I went out for sushi tonight and on her '08 IS250 you don't even have to touch the door handle for it to unlock. As soon as you get with several inches from the door, the courtesy lights all come on and the door unlocks. She had a slight fail though as soon as we got in b/c she put her purse behind her in the back seat, kind of underneath the drivers seat and it must have been blocked by the seat or by all of her junk in her purse b/c it didn't start at first, the LED light was orange instead of green. Once she got her purse and put it on the passenger floor she started it right up.
I had an 08 IS250AWD. And a 10 RX350AWD. And a 11 IS350AWD. And I've had probably 20 loaners with SmartAccess keys. I think I know how they work.

The Lexus key does not unlock the car until you make physical contact with the inside of the door handle. And you can start the car with the key anywhere in it unless the battery is dying. The battery projects the RFID signal so that as long as it's anywhere in the car, the car will start.

But don't take my word for it. Ask Lexus.

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/featu...artaccess.html

Directly from Lexus' website.

Quote:
With a unique secure code, the SmartAccess [1] [2] key fob automatically enables you to unlock and open all four of the vehicle’s doors and its available power rear door without removing the key fob from your purse, pocket or briefcase. As soon as the sensors detect your SmartAccess key fob, the door unlocks when you touch the handle. SmartAccess even activates the lighting entry system to illuminate your points of entry from the exterior puddle lamps to the interior lights. Once inside, it just takes a push of the button to start the engine.
[u2b]Mp54kSZpvm4[/u2b]

Go to 1:15.
[u2b]fVyfc8YbLkI[/u2b]

[u2b]XzhvJC1s_Lw[/u2b]

And I'm the one who has no idea what he's talking about?

Last edited by LSxJunkie; 01-19-2012 at 08:18 AM.
LSxJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #106
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
The Lexus key does not unlock the car until you make physical contact with the inside of the door handle. And you can start the car with the key anywhere in it unless the battery is dying. The battery projects the RFID signal so that as long as it's anywhere in the car, the car will start.
Yup. That's how it works in my father's '10 RX350. Keep the key in my breast pocket; when I walk up to it I place a finger on the inside (or bottom?) right side of the handle and it unlocks. When I get out, I place a finger on the inside (or bottom?) left of the handle and it locks. Touch it again and the lights turn off.

My dad likes it, I personally find a remote/beeper and key more to my taste.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #107
rL-gT

Drives: Lexus IS300 / Lexus IS250 AWD
Quote:
I had an 08 IS250AWD. And a 10 RX350AWD. And a 11 IS350AWD. And I've had probably 20 loaners with SmartAccess keys. I think I know how they work.

Let them be. Us Lexus owners are quite special in their eyes (Boring and Uneventful)
Old 01-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #108
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

That wasn't the case with my gf's IS, since we tested it last night.

She stood about 15 ft away and armed the alarm, one beep. She then walked toward the driver's door and when she was approx less than 1' from the door, the courtesy lights came on, the alarm beeped twice and the doors unlocked.

She didn't have to physically touch the door handle until she wanted to open the door. She even started to get a little annoyed b/c I made her try it several times! Women...

As I said before, push start and all that jazz can be kept as an option. Let those who want to pay the extra for convenience just like rain sensing wipers, automatic sensing headlights, back up sensors/cameras etc.

I still have keys for my office, for my truck, for my house, for my bikes, for my bike chain, for my bike rack and so on. It really isn't a "convenience" or a benefit for me not to have a key for this car since I still have keys in my pocket.

Last edited by RRnold; 01-19-2012 at 02:13 PM.
RRnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #109
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Lets just get both! Key-less entry but you need the key in the ignition to push the start button lolz
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #110
nixeighty6

Drives: Faster than you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyalien24 View Post
Lets just get both! Key-less entry but you need the key in the ignition to push the start button lolz
i see the "lolz" but that shit's just an awefull set up.. my s2000 was so F ing annoying. I would hold the start button every time i got in and then put the key in and turn it.. only releasing when the car was started.. I'de like to punch the guy in the mouth that approved that shit to be in a car.
As you can see from my previous posts, im all for the keyless/proximity key.. but if there is a key, for fuck sake don't have a start button.
ps: i'm all for it being an option that i pay for..
nixeighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #111
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
A friend of mine's mother actually just got her car stolen because of the smart key feature. Its snowing here in bc so she went to warm up the car, engine on heat blasting then went inside to grab keys for the other car that was blocking her in without locking the doors and by the time she got out her car was gone and there was a bunch of sratches all over the car in front.

hahaha but yea its cool and all but not worth the money IMO
Old 01-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #112
nixeighty6

Drives: Faster than you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
got her car stolen because of the smart key feature.
if she had a key that would have never happened, right? fact being that in this case it doesn't have anything to do with what key she had. some opportunistic a ss hole just took advantage of a warm running car on a cold day.
nixeighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote