follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #29
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
^^^ just as a sidenote: many leases have this, while loans generally do not. It ultimately depends on the lender but think about it: there's no early payoff penalty for a house, there shouldn't be one either for a car if you're smart about who you use to borrow money from.

Most of the time, the payoff amount is different than what you owe simply due to differences in interest. I know in the case of student loans, the amount is different because of how the interest is calculated vs. your payment period.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Porsche (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #30
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
^^^ just as a sidenote: many leases have this, while loans generally do not.
A lease is VERY different, yes. A FLEECE! is what Clark Howard calls them, but never mind. Some people are happy in a lease.

Quote:
Most of the time, the payoff amount is different than what you owe
The payoff amount is EXACTLY what you owe. Or it should be. The payoff will be the balance following the most recent payment PLUS the DAILY INTEREST calculated for the number of days that have passed since the due date for the most recent payment. Banks employ a 360-day year to calculate the daily interest.

Often, when one calls for a payoff balance, the lender will compute the daily interest for another few days and give you that number so you don't come up short if you don't rush over to pay it that very day. They often say, "This payoff amount is good for the next five days." But, one can compute the balance down to the penny for the very day it's paid off at the lender's offices.

I've usually found them to be correct, except for occasions where I've pointed out an error and they then corrected it.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
mav1178 (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #31
Frstorm

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Porsche- when I paid off my tc I was told a number and I ended up having to pay another 2 dollars and 54 cents. Man that killed me jk. Only time a lease is good in my opinion is when a company is paying the lease. My parents had a job where the company paid the lease and they could pay off the buy out at the end and keep the car or just give it back. They always just gave it back since if they gave it back the company would pay for another lease so they got a new car every two years but it had to be a ford. That's also why they never paid it out.
Frstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #32
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
The payoff amount is EXACTLY what you owe. Or it should be. The payoff will be the balance following the most recent payment PLUS the DAILY INTEREST calculated for the number of days that have passed since the due date for the most recent payment. Banks employ a 360-day year to calculate the daily interest.
Sorry I typed too fast.... payoff amount is what you owe on that day (and is an amount that increases with each passing day), but it's usually different when compared to the balance on your most recent monthly statement.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Porsche (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #33
Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frstorm View Post
Porsche- when I paid off my tc I was told a number and I ended up having to pay another 2 dollars and 54 cents.
Probably for another day or two of interest. Sometimes they may say that it'll take two days for your check to clear. Probably not, since they hammer those things within hours, but for a few bucks it's not worth disputing, I find.

Still, you can compute what you owe exactly quite readily. Just take the annual interest rate, divide by 100, and then divide by 360 to get the daily interest rate on the balance. Multiply that by the last balance for the three days of interest, say, since the due date for the most recent payment. Add that daily interest to the most recent balance, and that should be your payoff amount three days later. If the numbers don't work out, make them show you why. They can be wrong at times.

Quote:
Only time a lease is good in my opinion is when a company is paying the lease.
Agreed. But, let's not open that can of worms here in this thread. Some people are happy with leasing. Some people buy lottery tickets, too. Not me, mon.

Quote:
My parents had a job where the company paid the lease and they could pay off the buy out at the end and keep the car or just give it back. They always just gave it back since if they gave it back the company would pay for another lease so they got a new car every two years but it had to be a ford.
Heh. I'm picturing your parents zooming around in a Shelby or Boss 302!

Quote:
That's also why they never paid it out.
'Cuz it was NOT a Shelby or Boss 302…
Old 08-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #34
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
just thought I'd throw in regarding the April purchase vs first payment in July. Did they say something about no payments your first month? Usually that just means they take your payment and roll it in to your regular loan. You don't get a "free" month. you just pay sixty months' worth of payments in 58 or 59.

But yeah, great advice in this thread. If you can put a little extra towards the principle every month it will take quite a bit off the end.

I was doing well at work a few years ago and paid an extra thousand a month for a year on the mortgage and it dropped years off the back end. At five years in, I was then able to refinance a thirty year loan into a fifteen at a lower rate and my payments only went up twenty bucks!
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #35
Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Sorry I typed too fast.... payoff amount is what you owe on that day
And if they could get away with it, I imagine they'd charge interest by the HOUR, incrementing your balance right up to the very hour of payoff!

Quote:
(and is an amount that increases with each passing day), but it's usually different when compared to the balance on your most recent monthly statement.
Exactly. They're not letting you keep that money for so much as one extra DAY unless you pay interest for that day.

Those yachts of theirs are expensive!
Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #36
Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
just thought I'd throw in regarding the April purchase vs first payment in July. Did they say something about no payments your first month? Usually that just means they take your payment and roll it in to your regular loan. You don't get a "free" month. you just pay sixty months' worth of payments in 58 or 59.
Yeah, they did something, obviously, only WHAT they did is unclear. If Celica would post his actual loan paperwork (with personal info obliterated), we could compute these numbers exactly and see if his balance really is just under $25k as he says. As it stands, I cannot see how that payoff number could be so high, not with the numbers he's quoted. The real numbers would give us clarity.

Quote:
But yeah, great advice in this thread. If you can put a little extra towards the principle every month it will take quite a bit off the end.

I was doing well at work a few years ago and paid an extra thousand a month for a year on the mortgage and it dropped years off the back end. At five years in, I was then able to refinance a thirty year loan into a fifteen at a lower rate and my payments only went up twenty bucks!
Frugality pays off! Well done.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #37
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Yeppers, gotta love saving seventy-five or so thousand dollars!
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #38
Frstorm

Drives: 2013 Firestorm
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Porsche pmed you a joke about the lotto, well not joke persay. I agree I don't want o start an agrument over leasing each their own.
Frstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #39
Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Yeppers, gotta love saving seventy-five or so thousand dollars!

Wow!

The young folks need financial education, which is sorely lacking in the USA. I don't think they have any IDEA just how big the savings can be. Your example illustrates just how much one can save when we talk about large sums of money over extended periods.

The youngsters aren't generally buying houses just yet, but they ARE buying college degrees, which these days can involve mortgage-sized loans. The grown-ups at the colleges and universities are killing the kids.

I have long said that in America the adults are eating their young.

I often try to warn the young ones, but they usually ignore me. Occasionally, I'm gratified to learn that someone actually listened and modified their plans. In fact it just happened here on these forums recently. I was so happy to see that!

The young, through IGNORANCE, are being victimized horribly. It's a tragedy what's happening to our nation's youth, our college kids.

Well...

We are straying a bit from the OP's original question, aren't we. Sorry about that, folks.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #40
Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frstorm View Post
Porsche pmed you a joke about the lotto, well not joke persay. I agree I don't want o start an agrument over leasing each their own.

On my way over to read it now. Thanks.