follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 08-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
sc0urge

Drives: 2013 BRZ CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maintaining Rubber Around Front Windows

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum or if this should go under the other cosmetic forum, so mods please move as needed. (I've also done a search on the topic and am not sure if there's no current topics on it or if I searched the wrong terms )

That being said, I've been noticing some 'wear' on the rubber around the front windows that provide a seal when the doors are closed. (I'm referring to the windows that slide up/down when the doors open/close, not the little triangular ones.) I'm not sure if I'm imagining this 'wear' and it's just me being paranoid about maintaining my car, but I feel like the rubber might benefit from being treated with something to prevent it from drying out? Maybe oil or something? Also, on my driver's side, the rubber tends to scrunch up a little towards the angled area of the window when the door is closed instead of being uniform all the way around (wouldn't really consider it an issue but it's uniform all the way around on the passenger side). Not a huge issue, but is this common with your vehicles as well?

Another thing I noticed is that the rubber inbetween the front window and the rear window is showing some spotting and seems to be different material than the rubber I mentioned before. The piece I'm talking about is the little bit of rubber that is exposed when the front doors are closed. There seems to be different patches of rubber that make up this particular piece (and on both driver and passenger sides) and some patches show actual spotting. It kind of looks like it's drying out and the material seems a little stickier than the other parts of this material. Sorry if I'm being vague and unclear. I'll try to get pictures with proper lighting tomorrow to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

Ultimately these aren't really big issues for me, but I just don't want them to become issues in the future. Any thoughts?

PS: This is unrelated but I thought it could use a mention since it didn't seem very popular at the time of original posting and is an issue I feel could be easily overlooked:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17191
It's a thread started by @Subforever regarding an issue with the rubber on the small, triangular window on the front doors. Might be worth checking out and making sure your vehicle isn't showing any of those issues.
sc0urge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #2
GeeTee86
86 Nut

Drives: 86 Satin 6MT High
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Driver side window rubber on order after service manager picked up its not making a proper seal.
GeeTee86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc0urge View Post
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum or if this should go under the other cosmetic forum, so mods please move as needed. (I've also done a search on the topic and am not sure if there's no current topics on it or if I searched the wrong terms )

That being said, I've been noticing some 'wear' on the rubber around the front windows that provide a seal when the doors are closed. (I'm referring to the windows that slide up/down when the doors open/close, not the little triangular ones.) I'm not sure if I'm imagining this 'wear' and it's just me being paranoid about maintaining my car, but I feel like the rubber might benefit from being treated with something to prevent it from drying out? Maybe oil or something? Also, on my driver's side, the rubber tends to scrunch up a little towards the angled area of the window when the door is closed instead of being uniform all the way around (wouldn't really consider it an issue but it's uniform all the way around on the passenger side). Not a huge issue, but is this common with your vehicles as well?

Another thing I noticed is that the rubber inbetween the front window and the rear window is showing some spotting and seems to be different material than the rubber I mentioned before. The piece I'm talking about is the little bit of rubber that is exposed when the front doors are closed. There seems to be different patches of rubber that make up this particular piece (and on both driver and passenger sides) and some patches show actual spotting. It kind of looks like it's drying out and the material seems a little stickier than the other parts of this material. Sorry if I'm being vague and unclear. I'll try to get pictures with proper lighting tomorrow to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

Ultimately these aren't really big issues for me, but I just don't want them to become issues in the future. Any thoughts?

PS: This is unrelated but I thought it could use a mention since it didn't seem very popular at the time of original posting and is an issue I feel could be easily overlooked:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17191
It's a thread started by @Subforever regarding an issue with the rubber on the small, triangular window on the front doors. Might be worth checking out and making sure your vehicle isn't showing any of those issues.
Supposedly the best rubber preservative is 303 - available at marine supply stores. Ive been using it on my window rubber and tires - works well !

:happy0180:
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Richard Cranium
Ted

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
Supposedly the best rubber preservative is 303 - available at marine supply stores. Ive been using it on my window rubber and tires - works well !

:happy0180:
Another to consider is Adam's Polishes Super VRT. Its water resistant and can be used on many surfaces. I use it on my rubber trim with a MF applicator pad, inside & out, and follow up with a dry regular MF towel to remove and extra. Keeps things looking real nice.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Jertronic

Drives: FR-S 10 Series 120 of 2500
Garage
http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-...are-stick.html

This is what I use. Purchased it for my BMW per recommendation from Bimmerfest forum. Also available from Amazon for $8 and is Amazon Prime eligible.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFB View Post
Supposedly the best rubber preservative is 303 - available at marine supply stores. Ive been using it on my window rubber and tires - works well !:happy0180:
303 is what i use as well - when i wash the car i also wipe down the window rubber seals with 303.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Mr. Sparkle

Drives: Mr. Sparkle Detailing Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
303 is what i use as well - when i wash the car i also wipe down the window rubber seals with 303.
unfortunately 303 will run in the rain. I love it for interior work but no longer for exterior trim

Its pricey, but ultima trim & tire guard is the best stuff I've found for exterior trim. Darkens it, protects it, doesn't run in the rain, actually beads water
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Sparkle For This Useful Post:
shiumai (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #8
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
unfortunately 303 will run in the rain. I love it for interior work but no longer for exterior trim

Its pricey, but ultima trim & tire guard is the best stuff I've found for exterior trim. Darkens it, protects it, doesn't run in the rain, actually beads water
i use it on the rubber inside the window - but you're saying that it'll run when water gets to it? i always thought that 303 was recommended for exterior use. from their website - "A surface treated with 303® Aerospace Protectant™ is water repellent (beads water). When the water repellency begins to diminish, reapply."
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:02 AM   #9
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
You can also use some silicone spray lubricant. I used to use it on my WRX. You spray some on a paper towel, then run it over the rubber. The silicone penetrates the rubber and prevents it from drying out. 10 years with the WRX and it was no problems in the rain nor with tinted windows.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:26 AM   #10
sc0urge

Drives: 2013 BRZ CBS
Wow guys thanks everyone for all the replies! Something turned up today so I didn't get the wash my car and get some pictures of the rubber I was talking about but it doesn't seem necessary at this point. I'll definitely be looking up some reviews regarding the 303, the VRT, and Ultima (always hear good things about UWW+ but never heard about the trim & tire guard). The Einszett I'm actually pretty interested in but will probably hold off until the next time I need to order something from Amazon or Autogeek.

I was considering silicone spray too since I think I have some lying around and since it's know not to degrade seals, so that's good to know too.

Thanks again for all the replies!
sc0urge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:11 AM   #11
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I use 303 too. Silicone is prob ok, but body shops will hate it if it gets on your paint and you ever need body work. It makes it hell for them to try and get paint to stick.
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #12
Ghost 86

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've used 303 since having my s2000's it's expensive but works great
Ghost 86 is offline   Reply With Quote