follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #71
Jetscape

Drives: Toyota GT 86 Red AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question. Will this Invidia resonated Front Pipe fit an Automatic Transmission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86 SpeedFactory View Post
Here is the resonated guy.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #72
ChandlerSwyng

Drives: 2013 Red Subaru Brz
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I have the invidia n1 catback and i'm looking into the catted front pipe. Will the catted still add a nice sound without being so loud that i set off car alarms and wake up neighbors when arrive home late? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #73
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerSwyng View Post
I have the invidia n1 catback and i'm looking into the catted front pipe. Will the catted still add a nice sound without being so loud that i set off car alarms and wake up neighbors when arrive home late? Thanks.
I have a catless JDL UEL and Invidia catted front pipe and Q300. It is a fairly quiet system till you get on it. The N1 will be much louder even with a catted front pipe due to the smaller mufflers. Cats do reduce some rasp though and do muffle the sound a little. Not as much as a muffler or resonator. The volume does pick up by adding an overpipe/front pipe.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:10 AM   #74
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChandlerSwyng View Post
The catted will be perfect for this.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #75
AllStar0419

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Garage
I'm trying to decide between the catted and resonated front pipe. I will probably be getting your catted uel in the future so i don't necessarily need a cat on the front pipe. What is the difference in sound level and performance gains between the catted and resonated front pipes?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:00 PM   #76
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllStar0419 View Post
I'm trying to decide between the catted and resonated front pipe. I will probably be getting your catted uel in the future so i don't necessarily need a cat on the front pipe. What is the difference in sound level and performance gains between the catted and resonated front pipes?
negligible at best. High flow cats don't restrict much of the flow.

I am running a catless header with the catted Invidia front pipe along with the N1 now. For your setup, I would base the recommendation on the catback you are running to choose whether you need the resonator or not. Both the catted and resonated do the same job just about, but the resonator will muffle the sound a bit more, making it "bassier". My setup sounds like a WRX and rumbles real deep.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #77
AllStar0419

Garage
so would the resonated be quieter than the catted? i have an unresonated exhaust but its not as loud as an n1
Old 01-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #78
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
so would the resonated be quieter than the catted? i have an unresonated exhaust but its not as loud as an n1
I would go with the resonated. If anything, it will kill any potential rasp (Not that you may get any with a catted header) but keep the volume and sound nice and smooth. It will muffle the sound more than the cat since it's larger, but the flow should be a tad better since there's no major restriction.
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (02-21-2016)
Old 01-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #79
AllStar0419

Garage
ok thanks, i was leaning towards the resonated since its cheaper and will definitely be getting catted headers
Old 01-30-2014, 01:35 PM   #80
UnOvertime

Drives: Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I am running into the same issue as well. My major concern has always been rasp and excessive noise on my DD which is why I did not pull the trigger on the RevWorks header. However now that I feel I will be getting the catted uel header to match up to my ARK GRiP exhaust I can probably get the resonated front pipe instead of the catted front pipe (saves money for sure), allows me to spend that money on the overpipe to complete the exhaust system.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #81
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnOvertime View Post
I am running into the same issue as well. My major concern has always been rasp and excessive noise on my DD which is why I did not pull the trigger on the RevWorks header. However now that I feel I will be getting the catted uel header to match up to my ARK GRiP exhaust I can probably get the resonated front pipe instead of the catted front pipe (saves money for sure), allows me to spend that money on the overpipe to complete the exhaust system.
I've found this exhaust to be quite tricky to find that perfect note. Typically with more noise, you introduce more drone and possibly rasp. I think the optimal combination is something with a Helmholtz resonator and a decently muffled catback depending on how loud you want it to go. Personally, I run the N1 because the drone doesn't bother me, gives me the nice super deep rumble with no rasp and a catless header.

That's a good plan. Resonators do a good job of reducing rasp, and also reducing the sound volume some as well. Sticking with 2.5" instead of a 3" exhaust also eliminates the chance of rasp as well. There's so many factors that go into it. You have to piece the puzzle together based on what header you are going to run, catless front pipe or catted/resonated, then your flavor of catback can really vary the sound volume, like the Q300 for example. Extremely quiet with any catless header, along with a catted/resonated front pipe.

Here's my easy take on it, if you have at least 1 cat, and 1 good resonator in the exhaust, you're good there. Aftermarket headers are thinner material than stock, so they're naturally louder, even catted. The most adjustment sound wise you can do is on the catback side. I would plan on keeping a resonated mid-pipe always with a header.
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
AllStar0419 (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #82
UnOvertime

Drives: Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I have had my exhaust for 10 months now and I have zero complaints about the sound and have zero drone. I absolutely love the look and sound of the ARK. My biggest fear was introducing a catless header and getting ungodly rasp and noise.

The FT86SF catted UEL seems like it is exactly what I am looking for and I have been viewing the nvidia catted front pipe for a long time even before I started looking at the header. I have always been impressed with the look and quality of the nvidia products. Now that there is a catted header I like, the resonated pipe should keep sound levels manageable (understanding I will have more noise with an aftermarket header) while allowing me to save the $200 difference between the catted and resonated front pipes.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #83
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnOvertime View Post
I have had my exhaust for 10 months now and I have zero complaints about the sound and have zero drone. I absolutely love the look and sound of the ARK. My biggest fear was introducing a catless header and getting ungodly rasp and noise.

The FT86SF catted UEL seems like it is exactly what I am looking for and I have been viewing the nvidia catted front pipe for a long time even before I started looking at the header. I have always been impressed with the look and quality of the nvidia products. Now that there is a catted header I like, the resonated pipe should keep sound levels manageable (understanding I will have more noise with an aftermarket header) while allowing me to save the $200 difference between the catted and resonated front pipes.
You will be happy with that setup, whether you do catted, or resonated. I suggest resonated to save money.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:38 PM   #84
ProjectD

Drives: '04 350Z/ 2013 LR BRZ (LM)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
ok thanks, i was leaning towards the resonated since its cheaper and will definitely be getting catted headers
I thought the Catless (non res) version was the cheapest? are we looking at the same Nvidia resonated/ catless pipes here?

Closed Thread