follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #99
Dunkindoanuts

Drives: 99 Tacoma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
has anyone seen this magazine in stands today? Want to buy it...
Dunkindoanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #100
coyote

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroWRX View Post
Toyota: I am imagining this dream car!!
Toyota did build their dream car. It's basically an ugly Ferrari for twice the cost.

It would have been cheaper for them to buy 16% of Ferrari, stick a Scion badge on a 599GTB and claim it was all their work.

We all live and learn.
coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #101
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Article mentioned different engine tunes???????
Old 01-06-2012, 10:28 PM   #102
Revird

Drives: 3S
What lovely bias.

This article is terrible.

IMO.
Revird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #103
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
I thought it was the BRZ is perfect and the FRS oversteers. I remember reading that.
I remember that as well, It was one of those solo tests with the FR-S. No direct comparison just said its easier to entice oversteer, while the BRZ is pretty neutral. Although since the BRZ supposedly has stiffer springs and dampers in the rear I would expect it to exhibit more oversteer (assuming both front spring damper assemblies are the same in the GT86 and BRZ which they probably aren't)
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #104
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
I thought it was the BRZ is perfect and the FRS oversteers. I remember reading that.
The reports from Japan about 86 and BRZ are like: 86 tends to oversteer a bit while the BRZ is a bit under, just like many stock cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
No it's the other way around I read in a different thread. There was even a thread about the possibility of the FRS being to extreme for regular people because of its neutral handling characteristics and lift throttle oversteer.
I thought The lift throttle oversteer thing was on the early prototype. It is not happening on the fr-s tested in Japan, although Ken Gushi had a blast by drifting a lot during testing.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #105
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I think it was closer to BRZ is perfect, FRS understeers but all these are just rumors based on not enough driving around
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
I remember that as well, It was one of those solo tests with the FR-S. No direct comparison just said its easier to entice oversteer, while the BRZ is pretty neutral. Although since the BRZ supposedly has stiffer springs and dampers in the rear I would expect it to exhibit more oversteer (assuming both front spring damper assemblies are the same in the GT86 and BRZ which they probably aren't)
Looks like the three of us remember reading the same thing. If I have free time I will go back and see if I can find it again.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #106
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTBRZ View Post
I don't really understand the "I'm buying (blank) brand because I want them to get my money instead" or "because Subaru engineered the vehicle" crowds. The models will perform similarly, with the biggest differences involving amenities (HID/LED strip lights, auto CC, etc.) and styling. Personally I prefer the subdued rather than aggressive styling of the BRZ vs. FRS, and the amenities included in the BRZ packages that will likely be unavailable with the FRS which resulted in my BRZ decision.

It's not like these are two completely different cars, but they're not so close that there wouldn't be some sort of a preference to buy one over the other - It's not the best comparison, since the vehicles aren't identical, but if you were looking at a BMW 1 series and a Mini and you liked the included amenities, price point, and styling of the Mini but you would rather give BMW your money (because they designed and engineered both vehicles), you'd buy the BMW instead? Nowhere in that equation, for me anyways, does it make sense to buy the BMW. I just don't get that logic at all.

Edit: fail grammar
FAILED.
1series is RWD. Mini(s) are FWD.(not sure about the new SUV)
Back to topic, I really need to test drive both cars. I will start with the least favorite one, which is FR-S.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:39 AM   #107
Stigmaru

Drives: 2022 Halo White GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
FAILED.
1series is RWD. Mini(s) are FWD.(not sure about the new SUV)
Back to topic, I really need to test drive both cars. I will start with the least favorite one, which is FR-S.
I thought Mini was just a brand name created by BMW. There is no company called Mini. The original Mini cooper was made by BMC which doesn't exist anymore.

So I'd say the example isn't close to be valid either.

Issue is we have two cars which are virtual identical aside from amenities and respective Subaru or Toyota suspension. So any reasons for choosing one over the other is fair game IMHO ..even if it is that you like one company over the other
Stigmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:16 AM   #108
nrclptcnsmniak
Professional Athlete

Drives: Marty's Hover Board
I think it's perfectly fine to choose over brand dedication. When we go to the grocery store and see co co puffs and then next it the generic brand in the bag unless I am tight on money I go with the co co puffs even though the two brands are extremely similar in texture and taste I still go with the co co puffs. I see this is the same with these two cars loosely of course. And I see nothing wrong going with the puffs
Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #109
wait_what?

Drives: none
How much is this car (86) going to cost in europe (in euros), over 30k?
wait_what? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #110
Solrac

Drives: Legacy
I'm still torn between the two cars. I think I'm leaning toward the brz exterior looks but I'm not sure I would want their nav as it doesn't seem to be that good. I also like the red accents on the steering wheel on the frs. I'm also not convinced with the silver dash on the brz. I also hope subaru offer different wheels.
Solrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #111
CLTBRZ

Drives: DGM DZE/01
Quote:
I thought Mini was just a brand name created by BMW. There is no company called Mini. The original Mini cooper was made by BMC which doesn't exist anymore.

So I'd say the example isn't close to be valid either.

Issue is we have two cars which are virtual identical aside from amenities and respective Subaru or Toyota suspension. So any reasons for choosing one over the other is fair game IMHO ..even if it is that you like one company over the other
That's why I prefaced the example with "it's not the best comparison because they are not identical" - however the point was that when cross shopping two vehicles (regardless of how similar or different those vehicles are) I don't understand why if you like everything about one of them better, excluding the brand, that you would purchase the brand you prefer instead. I didn't want to use another badge engineered example (a la Lincoln/Ford or GMC/Chevy) because unlike Subaru/Toyota, those companies are wholly owned by their parent company.

The original statement inferred "I originally liked the Toyota better, but now (after all of the "who engineered what?" drama) I'd rather give Subaru my money", which is what I didn't understand the logic behind.
CLTBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #112
Stigmaru

Drives: 2022 Halo White GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTBRZ View Post
That's why I prefaced the example with "it's not the best comparison because they are not identical" - however the point was that when cross shopping two vehicles (regardless of how similar or different those vehicles are) I don't understand why if you like everything about one of them better, excluding the brand, that you would purchase the brand you prefer instead. I didn't want to use another badge engineered example (a la Lincoln/Ford or GMC/Chevy) because unlike Subaru/Toyota, those companies are wholly owned by their parent company.

The original statement inferred "I originally liked the Toyota better, but now (after all of the "who engineered what?" drama) I'd rather give Subaru my money", which is what I didn't understand the logic behind.
I'd say this is the first case in history of such an automobile was created where one company essentially did most of the work, and another company claimed it was theirs. In this case, both companies are separate entities and each one will benefit pretty much individually from the car. (Toyota slightly more due to buying 16.5% of Subaru before creating this car). Wouldn't matter if all the spoils of war goes back to one company because it's just really one cash pool at the end.

It has to do with principles more than anything else. If both Toyota and Subaru agreed to announce the production model on the same day and/or even together we could've skipped most of the drama. Since Toyota bought almost a quarter of Subaru, there was no issue for splitting the spoils of war. But imagine if you were the engineers who poured your blood and sweat into the car and can't wait to announce it Monday morning... only to have someone else come in and say they did most of the work and announce it first Sunday night. How would you feel?

Secondly, both cars are identical aside from some subjective aesthetics on the exterior (include internal seat material and color palette). Subaru/Toyota tuning and spring rates etc. can are all very superficial modifications which can be changed by the end user anyways. So we even have less reasons to choose between the two other than subjective preference.

I think the case of the FT86, it is most definitely valid to choose Subaru over Toyota just out of principle rather than subjective preference, or even brand loyalty. As an engineer, I would totally call foul play in this matter and have a hard time bringing myself to support Toyota with my money. It's the ultimate dishonor in the engineering world to do such a thing.

It's just hilarious that very shortly after Toyota announced the production model, Subaru announced the STI concept. It really does show who was more ready due to Subaru easily pulling something under their sleeves since they have the bulk of the engineering and design done.

Last edited by Stigmaru; 01-07-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Stigmaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
86 review, 86 reviews, brz forum, brz forums, brz review, brz reviews, brz test drive review, brz test drive reviews, brz top gear, brz top gear review, brz us spec, fr-s review, fr-s reviews, frs review, frs reviews, scion fr-s review, scion fr-s reviews, scion frs review, scion frs reviews, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz review, subaru brz reviews, subaru brz top gear, top gear brz, top gear brz review, top gear subaru brz, toyota 86 review, toyota 86 reviews, us spec brz, us spec subaru brz