follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Arizona

User Tag List
JonMotoring

Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #12111
captain_jack

Drives: '13 raven frs, '10 taco,09 gsxr 600
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yruyur View Post
Are you getting any of it analyzed?

Sent from a Motorola DynaTAC 8000X
A dynatac 8000x chris would that thing even work on todays network..... lol made me laugh on a much needed hump day

sent from a Phone to the interweb
captain_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to captain_jack For This Useful Post:
Yruyur (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #12112
thesleeper

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Anyone know of a good PDR guy?
I have quite a door ding on the passenger side...
thesleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #12113
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Shadow View Post
Does anyone else's 4th gear grind?

It grinds for me every time i down shift practically and when im above 4k and try to put it into 4th gear fast. The only time it doesnt grind is if i really hold in the clutch a long time and just let it slide in super slow.
I had my transmission clutch and flywheel replaced because of that in my first car.

Link is in my signature

Old 07-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #12114
FR-Shadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_jack View Post
That is not right..... could be a clutch engagement issue though. As in needs adjustment, it doesn't do it when your shifting from 3rd to 4th just 5th to 4th?

sent from a Phone to the interweb
both always when downshifting and when upshifting only when driving spiritly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugeyedWagon View Post
Did you tear up the 4th gear synchro not understanding that the transmissions in these cars were "designed clunky?"

Not to bash, but this is pretty easy to do if you aren't careful while driving aggressively...
Quote:
I had my transmission clutch and flywheel replaced because of that in my first car.

Link is in my signature

Looks like Im going to the dealer saturday to get this all checked out
Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #12115
Sivtec

Drives: 12 Mitsu Evo X, 09 Honda CBR 600 RR
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Completely unrelated but has anyone seen the new gameplay trailer for GTA V? Uh... Wow... Epic... I can't remember the last time I was so excited about playing a game. Must have games of 2013, GTA and Watchdogs... The graphics these days are pretty astonishing...

-2013 Scion Raven FR-S
-2009 Honda Green/Black CBR600RR
Sivtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #12116
Ninjin

Drives: SWP BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Are you getting any of it analyzed?

A sample of the used Redline is on its way to Blackstone now. I'll probably pull a sample of the Motul at 10k miles for testing too. I want to see if the Motul has any effect on brass wear. It shouldn't, but there's a lot of FUD around its GL-5 rating and the EP additives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemo View Post
Sooo, what's wrong with the stock fluid? Is "feel" the only issue here or are there premature failures of parts that can be linked back to the stock fluid?
For me there were two reasons why I didn't leave the stock fluid in: First was getting any break-in leftovers out of the transmission. The drain plug has a magnet that picks up most of the ferrous particles, but I wanted to minimize the amount of junk floating around in there and potentially causing any premature wear. Second reason was for feel. My transmission (like many others) didn't feel "right" on the stock fluid. Redline was better, and Motul has been better still. The shift action is much smoother to me, meaning there's an initial resistance as the shifter goes into position but it then engages smoothly with no other feedback. Whereas on stock fluid I could feel something interfacing as the shifter moved into position, after the initial resistance. It felt like the syncros weren't working quite enough, but it's hard to figure out from just the feel of the shift without having a lot more knowledge about how the transmission is built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Shadow View Post
Does anyone else's 4th gear grind?

It grinds for me every time i down shift practically and when im above 4k and try to put it into 4th gear fast. The only time it doesnt grind is if i really hold in the clutch a long time and just let it slide in super slow.
Is it an audible, noisy grind or just something you can feel in the shift lever?
Ninjin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ninjin For This Useful Post:
sdemo (07-10-2013), SpyderMS (07-11-2013), Yruyur (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #12117
sdemo

Drives: '13 SWP ZC6 R
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjin View Post
For me there were two reasons why I didn't leave the stock fluid in: First was getting any break-in leftovers out of the transmission. The drain plug has a magnet that picks up most of the ferrous particles, but I wanted to minimize the amount of junk floating around in there and potentially causing any premature wear. Second reason was for feel. My transmission (like many others) didn't feel "right" on the stock fluid. Redline was better, and Motul has been better still. The shift action is much smoother to me, meaning there's an initial resistance as the shifter goes into position but it then engages smoothly with no other feedback. Whereas on stock fluid I could feel something interfacing as the shifter moved into position, after the initial resistance. It felt like the syncros weren't working quite enough, but it's hard to figure out from just the feel of the shift without having a lot more knowledge about how the transmission is built.
I was attributing the notchy feel of the FRS / BRZ to the linkage system of the gearbox. Coming from a 150k mile 1995 Miata (with Redline in the trans and a shifter that sits directly inside the transmission - no linkage), I knew I wasn't going to find this car "smooth." I'm contemplating a shifter bushing upgrade and a bit heavier knob, but it's good to know that a fluid swap does help the situation a bit.

Keep tinkering... I'll sit back with my beer and let you tell me what's good, lol.
sdemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #12118
FR-Shadow

Quote:

Is it an audible, noisy grind or just something you can feel in the shift lever?

I can hear it every time. It sounds like when you miss a gear grind.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #12119
mattles
Proud of FR Layout

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
yea, this is definitely the most clunkly/thunky Aisin box Ive ever used. But, Ive never had a grind unless I missed a shift (which happens because the damn transmission moves around too much under high loads-- reminds me I need all of those various whiteline/perrin shifter braces and mounts/inserts/etc.)
If its grinding, Id definitely take it in for warranty work, return the car to stock beforehand definitely.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #12120
FR-Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattles View Post
yea, this is definitely the most clunkly/thunky Aisin box Ive ever used. But, Ive never had a grind unless I missed a shift (which happens because the damn transmission moves around too much under high loads-- reminds me I need all of those various whiteline/perrin shifter braces and mounts/inserts/etc.)
If its grinding, Id definitely take it in for warranty work, return the car to stock beforehand definitely.

Returning it to stock is way to much of a hassle right now. I have no mods done to the drivetrain that would void a warranty. I have an appointment this afternoon to get checked out at big two.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #12121
jeffsides
AZ FRS 86

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jeffsides
@redsuns03. It's yours whenever. No rush
Old 07-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #12122
edgary

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
So uh, at the risk of taking this discussion off topic by actually talking about cars, I changed my transmission fluid this weekend.

I went from stock -> Redline MT-90 at 900 miles and this past weekend changed to Motul Gear 300.

I've noticed that shifting with the Motul feels smoother than the Redline (especially 3rd gear for me). It's not totally free of resistance, but it feels more like I think a transmission should. So if anyone is thinking about doing a fluid change, I would recommend the Motul over the Redline (they both feel better than stock though).

P.S. Motul is also great because the awesome bottle design makes it very easy to put the new fluid in. No pumping required!
How about second gear? I know quite a few people have complained about second gear being hard to engage, but this is on cold weather only (or, mostly)... I guess we'll have to wait until winter for this test.

Next time we see each other, I want to test your car against mine, which still has the stock fluid.
edgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edgary For This Useful Post:
SMOKETREES (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #12123
EZWood
BAMF

Drives: 13 fr-s, whiteout, MT. 94 ZJ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Just saw that 5 axis white frs in maracopa parked at a firestation.
EZWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #12124
Ninjin

Drives: SWP BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
@FR-Shadow if it's making a lot of noise then something is definitely wrong. It'll be interesting to hear what the dealership has to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgary View Post
How about second gear? I know quite a few people have complained about second gear being hard to engage, but this is on cold weather only (or, mostly)... I guess we'll have to wait until winter for this test.

Next time we see each other, I want to test your car against mine, which still has the stock fluid.
Second and fifth aren't perfect, especially on a cold start. However, even on stock fluid I was always able to get into gear it was never undriveable for me like some forum members have reported. @sdemo and @mattles bring up good points about shifter linkage and transmission movement changing the feel from other Aisin transmissions. Anyone is welcome to take my car for a spin to see if they like how the different fluid makes the transmission feel (or if it's the same and I'm imagining it all)

Sent from my microwave oven using Tapatalk 2
Ninjin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arizona, fr-s, mesa, phoenix, scion, tucson, we need a subforum