follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #169
jonghyun

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd MT WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RurumariGhost View Post
1. There are no "certain type" of leds, leds are leds, all that varies is the color and power draw (voltage/current)
2. I personally don't like t-taps, I will be doing this in a few weekends and will most likely strip the insulation off a wire, splice and solder my leads in that way, For my money its worth the time to do, better connection and no risk of corrosion.
3. Since I will be tapping directly into a wire there is no need for me to tap into the fuse box, the only difference is where you're drawing power from.
4. a fuse tap will tap plug onto the back of a fuse and draw power by making a connection that way.
okay you mentioned tapping directly into a wire. If i wanted to tap into the wiring that makes the interior lights come on when doors are opened, how do you know which wire to tap into?
jonghyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #170
RurumariGhost

Drives: Dark Grey Metallic 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonghyun View Post
okay you mentioned tapping directly into a wire. If i wanted to tap into the wiring that makes the interior lights come on when doors are opened, how do you know which wire to tap into?

Two words: wiring diagrams, I haven't looked it up yet or I would tell you which one to tap into. I will probably tap into either the wire that controls dimming for the radio, or the lights for the Instrument cluster. More likely I'll tap into the IC lights.
RurumariGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #171
Chaetagnath

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
Hi im just wondering where that First picture is the wire with the pink green and black wire? And how do i get to it?
That's the harness that plugs into the dome light directly. It can be accessed by pulling the dome light down.
Chaetagnath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaetagnath For This Useful Post:
Minovsky (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #172
Chaetagnath

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RurumariGhost View Post
@Chaetagnath, do you ever hit your switch with your knee while driving? It looks like you put it right where my knee tends to go while cruising on the highway
No, it doesn't seem to hit my knee at all. Of course, the switch can be put almost anywhere to fit your driving position.
Chaetagnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #173
RurumariGhost

Drives: Dark Grey Metallic 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaetagnath View Post
No, it doesn't seem to hit my knee at all. Of course, the switch can be put almost anywhere to fit your driving position.
Cool, I'll probably end up doing a switch on the panel with the IC Dimmer and Fog switch. thanks for the good writeup
RurumariGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #174
jonghyun

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd MT WRB
Someone should do footwell lighting to match the shift lights. idea inspired by mightycarmods and their video [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL2CZ26ltlM"]How To Install A Shift Light - YouTube[/ame]
jonghyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #175
SuperDave

Drives: DAT Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
does anyone have the oem kit installed? is it plug and play?
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #176
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
does anyone have the oem kit installed? is it plug and play?
I have the "Blue Interior Illumination" option on my 2013 Limited that I just picked up a week ago. I wasn't 100% sure what that meant when I bought the car, but the one I wanted already had it. It's kind of cool but I wish I could turn it off if I wanted to (like a button or something). Otherwise it's connected to the dimmer.
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #177
SuperDave

Drives: DAT Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin View Post
I have the "Blue Interior Illumination" option on my 2013 Limited that I just picked up a week ago. I wasn't 100% sure what that meant when I bought the car, but the one I wanted already had it. It's kind of cool but I wish I could turn it off if I wanted to (like a button or something). Otherwise it's connected to the dimmer.
could you be so kind as to take a couple of photos of it? where the wiring runs and if i understand what you're saying, it's gonna be always on with the ability to adjust its brightness with the dimmer?
SuperDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #178
tobin

Quote:
could you be so kind as to take a couple of photos of it? where the wiring runs and if i understand what you're saying, it's gonna be always on with the ability to adjust its brightness with the dimmer?

Correct, they turn on as soon as you turn on parking lights or headlights, and they are connected to the dimmer for the instrument cluster. I will take some pictures next week at some point.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #179
tobin

Quote:
I apologize for the poor quality of these pics (iPhone 5), but these will give you an idea of what the "Blue Interior Illumination" option for the BRZ looks like. In my opinion, it's kind of tacky, and I will probably disable it at some point (or at least find a way to turn it WAY down).

Brightness all the way up...

Brightness all the way down...

Old 07-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #180
vignesh
Engineer

Drives: WRB 2022 Subaru Brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This is what i have done. Works with the dome light, and its bright enough to see whats on the floor but not too bright to over power the dome lights. I think red matches the red gauge cluster for the brz.

vignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vignesh For This Useful Post:
cebul (07-09-2016)
Old 07-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #181
Minovsky

Drives: Fr-s 2013 white out
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koteman View Post
Fuse tap under dash in driver side for power to switch or leds. Ground is any chassis bolt. No splicing or cutting stock wiring this way.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
Hey im just wodering where you got a fuse tap and once you got it you just plug it in?
Minovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #182
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeydew View Post
Hey im just wodering where you got a fuse tap and once you got it you just plug it in?
Just remove the lighter adapter in the glove box and plug the LED strips into that with red ends that fit into the lighter plug female part after removal. That's what I did 6 months ago and still going strong.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote