follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 06-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #869
markitect

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
As long as you don't try to go though any plow walls, and take your time to drive safely it really isn't bad. What area are you in?
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #870
CW-FR-S

Drives: Kia forte koup
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kask2_6.0 View Post
I believe there will be a few going to the cars & coffee this Saturday at JD karting in novi (@Sevs753 THIS saturday right?). Prolly even a few different colors you could check out as well and a group that would all be willing to show off their car to you and your wife.
How early does it start and how late do they usually run? Is novi far from Harrison? I've got a tattoo appointment this sat. Lol I'm still learning the region. We test drove one when i was in NorCal, loved it, but now I'm stationed in Detroit.. Bit of a climate change lol.
CW-FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 AM   #871
Sevs753

Drives: BRZ, Canyon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW-FR-S View Post
How early does it start and how late do they usually run? Is novi far from Harrison? I've got a tattoo appointment this sat. Lol I'm still learning the region. We test drove one when i was in NorCal, loved it, but now I'm stationed in Detroit.. Bit of a climate change lol.
The cars & coffee at JD Racing in Novi is about 40 miles from Harrison Township. It goes from 10am - 2pm. If you can wait a couple weeks, it might be better to wait until the Cars & Coffee at Kart 2 Kart in Sterling Heights. That one is the first saturday of every month and Is closer to Harrison than Novi.
Sevs753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #872
CW-FR-S

Drives: Kia forte koup
Quote:
Originally Posted by markitect View Post
As long as you don't try to go though any plow walls, and take your time to drive safely it really isn't bad. What area are you in?
I'm in Harrison township. Right near St. Clair

I'd like to assume with proper tires, and vigilant intelligent driving the frs or BRZ would be fine I the snow. I mean I've seen about a thousand mustangs since I've moved out here. That's an RWD car with more power that has to drive in snow
CW-FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #873
DKPJester

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm in Harrison township. Right near St. Clair

I'd like to assume with proper tires, and vigilant intelligent driving the frs or BRZ would be fine I the snow. I mean I've seen about a thousand mustangs since I've moved out here. That's an RWD car with more power that has to drive in snow
I haven't lived in snow country all that long, but I've had two fwd cars and and frs last winter and the frs, on stock tires, is the easiest to drive in the snow of all of them. It is so light that it is much easier to keep under control and with the lsd I never had problems with getting the rear tires moving. I imagine with snow tires it is fantastic. I think the same characteristics that make it so good at controlling slide on dry ground make it controllable when sliding on low grip surfaces as well. If you feel it start to let go you just counter steer a bit and it rights itself.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #874
Mac1235

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
With snow tires this car is excellent in the snow.
Mac1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #875
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eikond View Post
If you're on Buell Rd.. just off adams.. that would put my (hopefully) new house about 2.5 miles away from you. I'm in that subdivision off Orion Rd. just before you get into Lake Orion.
oh seriously? yeah i live at rochester and buell. You will like the area i think. its a great place
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #876
racecaresuaceb

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ LTD
Garage
Quote:
Anyone in the Detroit/SE MI area willing/available to meet to show me there car and go over it with my wife and I? We like them, want to get one, but she needs a little convincing as to the ability to drive in the winters here in mich. we just moved to the area so were hesitant to get an RWD car in unknown snowy winters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
PM me if your free to help!
I won't be able to make it for the karting event this weekend but don't let snow hold you back from enjoying this car. A set of snow tires is all you need. Although the summer tires were a ton of fun! Drift every corner!!!
racecaresuaceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #877
Kauf

Drives: 2014 SSM BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1235 View Post
So some sad news today. I no longer own the FR-S!!! Some things that caused me to sell the car. For a daily driver it is very spartan, even the BRZ in my opinion, and the ride was tolerable but the wife did not enjoy riding in it. For practical purposes like taking my nephews in my car and we are in the process of getting a medium sized dog, which wouldn't fit very well I decided to make a change. I really feel the car's driving experience is un matched for fun and pure driving feel, but for a day to day driver that I put a lot of miles on it was starting to wear on me. I will admit maybe it was my tranny but it feels better designed for the track then everyday driving.

So when looking for a new car I threw around the Porsche Cayman because it is a more refined version of the FR-S, but it suffers from expensive repair costs and no back seats. I ended up going with a 2013 Ford Focus ST. For the top end package it was the same price as the BRZ but comes with more amentities. Better ride, REAL Recaro leather seats, a better touch screen navigation unit, better brakes, upgraded speakers, and my wife doesn't complain when riding in it! The nice thing about the ST is it is probably one of the most neutrally balanced front wheel drive cars out there because of the way Ford programmed the electronic drivetrain control system. You can still slide the back end and the variable electronic steering allows for a very agressive turn in. It has more power then the BRZ/FR-S and still provides me with the fun drive but with REAL back seats and a hatchback that is perfect for putting a dog in. Sad to sell the car, but at this point in my life and with kids possibly on the horizon in a few years I wanted to pick up something a little bit more practical for daily driving.

I think the BRZ/FR-S will blossom into an even better car with better interiors in the next few years. I understand why they did what they did on this model, making it cheap to get in to stir up demand for the car. I think they will have more top end models of this car in 2015 and who knows I may be back when it comes out.

I know I don't own this car but I still like it and will continue to be an active member on this forum. Hopefully you guys don't slash my tires or forget my name now that I am no longer apart of the hive mind. It is cold on the outside!

Also on a side note if you made it this far on the message, congrats you hung in there. I know I have asked this before but I can't seem to find the post and I am traveling so limited access to a real computer (doing this on my phone) but what is a good tint shop around the SE MI area? Sorry for repeat question, if I was home I would search it up.
/ tires. Who are you? Who... Are... you? lol I briefly checked out the Focus ST when I was looking for my BRZ. Seems like a cool car. Enjoy it!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #878
CallmeDave

Drives: 13 BRZ, 07 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha16bw View Post
Hey everyone. Just checking in. I believe it was Dave i met this past friday on woodward. Nice guy and nice brz.
That was me, it was very nice to meet you. Nice FR-S btw.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #879
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Got my koyorad in today let me know if any of you are going to install one I have some helpfull tips that will make it go easier.

Sent from my Q10
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #880
Mac1235

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauf View Post
/ tires. Who are you? Who... Are... you? lol I briefly checked out the Focus ST when I was looking for my BRZ. Seems like a cool car. Enjoy it!
Yeah I just couldn't make it work. Married life has already beat the fun out of me .

On a side note, I am planning on popping into that KARTS/Cocaine meet up this weekend. I won't be in a car, but will pop in on my motorcycle. Going out for a ride that day. Anyone going to make it?
Old 06-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #881
Mac1235

Garage
Here is the real question of the forum!!! We have several members who have bought new houses and we haven't seen an invite to the new place to plug their neighborhood up with good cars and drink beer!! It will be like 14 twins and a Ford Focus ST lol
Old 06-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #882
Mac1235

Garage
I just remembered I had brought up some tranny issues with my last car and never resolved it. After switching to the Focus, I experience nothing like what I was experiencing on the old car and based on the stuff you guys said, I think I had a faulty transmission. I have none of the symptoms I had before. Oh well, now it is passed on to the dealer that bought it from me.