follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #57
Chase1996

Drives: Scion FR-S Black
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _gt86_user View Post
There's no best coilover for your, it's up to YOU, not gonna find the answer on a forum.
That makes no sense whatsoever...in that case my springs should be just fine since they "suit" me but yet they arent fit for my car...hencce why i asked best suited for my car
Chase1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #58
Chase1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
What are you actually using the car for? Are you actually taking it out to VIR, or is it more of just a daily driver?
daily aggressive driver
Old 02-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #59
Chase1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
YES, thank you.

The end goal for every car isn't really "zero" body roll...it's a car that's fast and confidence inspiring.

For @cwpbrz-ji more overall roll resistance with the alignment he currently has...I'm betting will result in a slower car overall with a lot of understeer.

If the car feels sloppy and like the chassis isn't being controlled, that is indeed an issue. But a little roll isn't a bad thing. Isolate the problem and work from there. It's unlikely that your car is rolling more in a corner on a bumpy surface than it is on a smooth surface. What exactly are you feeling on bumpy surfaces?

Also bushing deflection is often a misinterpreted especially on cars with otherwise modified suspension. (Not saying that's the issue in this case, but a general observation).

- Andrew
My cars ABS comes on when it shouldnt...almost causing me to wreck. smooth surface going about 60mph with just a slight veer to the left will cause it to almost wreck
Old 02-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #60
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase1996 View Post
My cars ABS comes on when it shouldnt...almost causing me to wreck. smooth surface going about 60mph with just a slight veer to the left will cause it to almost wreck
By ABS do you mean while braking or do you mean the traction control and/or stability control is kicking in?
Quote:
daily aggressive driver
If you are driving aggressively on a regular basis on rough/imperfect roads, then you want your suspension to have more travel than it has now with those springs. You want springs wthat don't lower the car so much and have better spring rates like the RCE yellows. Bilstein shcoks would help too, but those arent cheap. If you want coilovers (which from what you said are out of your price range) then you need a coilover that has good shocks and not so overly agressive stiff spring rates (lots of cheap coilovers have crap shocks and stiff springs).

Its going to take trial and error to figure out what works for you though.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #61
_gt86_user
Inactive

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Edit: do what you want then.
_gt86_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #62
totopo

Drives: 370z
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
could also be something more like a mechanical failure rather than setup problem. like a broken wheel speed sensor?
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:42 PM   #63
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
yeah... that does NOT sound like a lowering spring problem to me. it sounds like maybe you clipped your ABS sensor when installing some suspension parts. double check to make sure it's plugged in and your wires are fine. it also sounds like an alignment problem but your spec sheet doesn't look too far out of whack besides the rear toe, which really isn't too much to cause you to almost wreck. have you touched anything on your steering wheel, like replacing it? maybe your clock spring isn't centered. I'm assuming you mean TC/VSC though since ABS shouldn't come on unless you're braking hard

Last edited by ryoma; 02-28-2016 at 02:57 PM.
ryoma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ryoma For This Useful Post:
Cole (03-06-2016)
Old 02-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #64
spdfreak

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think a good set of shocks will do you well. I drove a friends brz with drop springs and OEM struts/shocks and the thing handled like garbage. He also had wide, sticky tires.

I threw bilstein b14 coilovers on mine with wide sticky tires and the handling is neutral and predictable.

Also, I drive with tcs and dsc off about 98% of the time. The other 2% is when I forget to turn it off and end up getting pissed because the ecu cuts my throttle.

*edit*
Yeah, make sure you didn't damage your ABS system. A slight curve in the road shouldn't cause drama like that.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:59 PM   #65
Chase1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
By ABS do you mean while braking or do you mean the traction control and/or stability control is kicking in?
If you are driving aggressively on a regular basis on rough/imperfect roads, then you want your suspension to have more travel than it has now with those springs. You want springs wthat don't lower the car so much and have better spring rates like the RCE yellows. Bilstein shcoks would help too, but those arent cheap. If you want coilovers (which from what you said are out of your price range) then you need a coilover that has good shocks and not so overly agressive stiff spring rates (lots of cheap coilovers have crap shocks and stiff springs).

Its going to take trial and error to figure out what works for you though.
Yeah i beleive its the traction control....and they are not out of my range, its just i just got these so spending extra money is not what I wanna do...but I still want my car to be lowered 1.2-1.4inches from stock, with good handling and stiff...could you recommend a set of coilovers?
Old 02-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #66
Chase1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by totopo View Post
could also be something more like a mechanical failure rather than setup problem. like a broken wheel speed sensor?
I had someone else install my springs and control arms, and a shop do my alignment and put rims and tires on. SO im not sure, would a mechanic be able to tell if something like this had happened, where would you look/check?
Old 02-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #67
Chase1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
yeah... that does NOT sound like a lowering spring problem to me. it sounds like maybe you clipped your ABS sensor when installing some suspension parts. double check to make sure it's plugged in and your wires are fine. it also sounds like an alignment problem but your spec sheet doesn't look too far out of whack besides the rear toe, which really isn't too much to cause you to almost wreck. have you touched anything on your steering wheel, like replacing it? maybe your clock spring isn't centered. I'm assuming you mean TC/VSC though since ABS shouldn't come on unless you're braking hard
Yes that is what I mean...and I am not sure, I did not put on any of these parts..its always strange when it comes on, how would I check if something had been clipped or messed up?
Old 02-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #68
Chase1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdfreak View Post
I think a good set of shocks will do you well. I drove a friends brz with drop springs and OEM struts/shocks and the thing handled like garbage. He also had wide, sticky tires.

I threw bilstein b14 coilovers on mine with wide sticky tires and the handling is neutral and predictable.

Also, I drive with tcs and dsc off about 98% of the time. The other 2% is when I forget to turn it off and end up getting pissed because the ecu cuts my throttle.

*edit*
Yeah, make sure you didn't damage your ABS system. A slight curve in the road shouldn't cause drama like that.
How do I check?
Old 02-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #69
cwpbrz-ji

Drives: BRZ & Forester
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
@go_a_way1

>>> I would leave it alone a little roll is fine.

@Racecomp Engineering responding to: go_a_way1’s “a little roll is fine”: >>> YES, thank you.

Thank you both for the “a little roll is fine” comments. I am leaning towards “leave it alone” ...and maybe try some bushings (see below).

@Racecomp Engineering

>>> The end goal for every car isn't really "zero" body roll...it's a car that's fast and confidence inspiring.

+1000

>>> It's unlikely that your car is rolling more in a corner on a bumpy surface than it is on a smooth surface.

I agree! It could be minor OCD perception messing with me regarding cornering and bumpy surfaces.

The same slight roll is also there on a flat surface and totally acceptable (probably because it is flat ).

>>> What exactly are you feeling on bumpy surfaces?

When I hit a slight bump, on a corner, the rear (only) feels like it will roll to the outside and is more noticeable (possible personal perception) than on a flat surface.

The car does not ‘feel sloppy’ and I have seen considerable improvement with my current modifications. (fwiw) I have pushed this roll within (what I consider to be for me) safe parameters during cornering, and have never lost grip (knock-on-wood ).

>>> bushing deflection

I am glad you brought this up, because that did cross my mind.

One of the modifications I am considering is trying a Crossmember Insert Enhancement Kit (bushings) as part of “Isolate the problem and work from there.”

(fwiw) OT: I fixed a shifting problem I was having in corners by having a Gearbox Mount Insert (bushing) installed.

Thank you again for your response.
cwpbrz-ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:04 PM   #70
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Do you / did you try switching the VSC/TC off?
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote