follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
siXXtoes
Ohh Snap

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fluid change

Just change all my fluids at 5000 miles. I had already did my break in oil at 1000 with Mobil 1 and really did not like the oil.

I used Redline mt90 for the tranny and Motul 300 for the rear diff. For oil, i went with GC 0w30.

Drained both the tranny and the diff, they looked good, but the magnetic plugs were disgusting!!! Glad they did their job because i could not imagine that crap floating around!!

I took a little trip to Vegas the next day (600mile round trip) and let em tell you the car was much smoother. Shifting was butter and the rear end felt smooth. The car responded a little better and i am glad i did the change.

For those thinking about doing it, dont what, it was well worth it!
siXXtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
bluesubie

Drives: 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Congratulations?

I would have left the factory fill in longer due to the higher additive levels that it has, but why did you not "like" Mobil1? Was it too thin and allowed the engine to rev more freely with better mpg's as compared to the very thick GC? I presume that you used Mobil1 0W-20.

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
siXXtoes
Ohh Snap

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I know GC is more of a 0w40 in terms of thickness. Because this is a new engine, nobody really knows what oil weight works for each persons driving habits. I drive it hard all the time and it response well. Plus nobody knows how this FA20 will react with the DI it has installed in with fuel dilution.

Was the Mobil 1 good, yes, but after changing to GC did i feel a little better response and smoothness, yes as well. Could it be the engine breaking in, of course. That is the point. To change the oil regularly, using different types of oils with similar weights to find the one that works for your driving habits.

I will attempt to do a oil analysis after the next change to better understand how this engine uses oil that is put into it

Oh, I had the VVT replaced at 200 miles, so the factory fill had already been replace with what Toyota had on hand at the shop
siXXtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
bluesubie

Drives: 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by siXXtoes View Post
Plus nobody knows how this FA20 will react with the DI it has installed in with fuel dilution.
Good point.

I believe there have been a couple of uoa's at bitog with more mileage than some of the uoa's here. There was a little fuel dilution, but nothing out of the ordinary. Keep in mind that a typical uoa like Blackstone does not show actual fuel dilution, but an estimated figure that is extrapolated from the flashpoint reading.

You have to spend a bit more $ to get actual fuel readings. An actual reading will always be higher than a Blackstone reading. http://www.dysonanalysis.com/Dyson_A...s/Welcome.html

-Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluesubie For This Useful Post:
siXXtoes (12-06-2012)