follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-03-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
RG4L

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Hood vents

So im planning on cutting some vents, and km planning on creating some kind of "exhaust" that goes from behind the intercooler directly to the vents preventing water to get in the actual engine.. if this is a good idea at all, what type of material should I use to do such thing that resist heat and its able to be worked with..
RG4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Al-you-min-ee-um

Ducting is a fine idea. The trick is packaging it in the available space.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-04-2020), RG4L (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 06:45 AM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,102 Times in 2,050 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
So you're going to add good vents that won't vent the radiant heat, because you're routing the airflow from the radiator stack through a vent?

Must see a diagram! I'm sure I'm getting the wrong idea, but vents work by relieving pressure from incoming air thought the front fascia. With that, it also takes the radiant heat from the headers/engine/whatever else. The radiator and intercooler will benefit, but they aren't the ones responsible for the heat people add vents to get rid of.

Like I said, show us your design idea so we can help and understand the plan better
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Grady (09-04-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
RG4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
So you're going to add good vents that won't vent the radiant heat, because you're routing the airflow from the radiator stack through a vent?

Must see a diagram! I'm sure I'm getting the wrong idea, but vents work by relieving pressure from incoming air thought the front fascia. With that, it also takes the radiant heat from the headers/engine/whatever else. The radiator and intercooler will benefit, but they aren't the ones responsible for the heat people add vents to get rid of.

Like I said, show us your design idea so we can help and understand the plan better
Im busy working at the moment, all these ideas come to mind as I work btw reason why im asking so there's no definite idea just yet but yea my first idea was gonna grab the air after it went through the intercooler.
The Following User Says Thank You to RG4L For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (09-05-2020)
Old 09-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #5
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
I think you're going to quickly find that the front ends needs to be 6-12" longer for that idea to work
Old 09-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #6
RG4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
I think you're going to quickly find that the front ends needs to be 6-12" longer for that idea to work
Huh?
Old 09-06-2020, 12:15 AM   #7
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,102 Times in 2,050 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG4L View Post
Huh?
I think he means that to funnel air through and make it purposeful, you need to also ensure there is ducting between the front bumper and the stack so that excess air isn't being lost to surrounding space meaninglessly
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:12 AM   #8
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Pulling hot air from the engine bay, from my experience, the best spot for venting is along the hood behind the radiator.

This gives a nice low pressure zone for the air that has just passed through the radiator to excape, thus maximizing the efficiency of the radiator.

As for the hot parts radiating heat, coatings and wraps, the hot air, is typically pulled from underneath behind the engine bay and pulled out under the car.

For electronics and other bits that the radiant heat will effect, distance and sheilding.

In the end it comes down to building with sound engineering principles, if for some reason you need something that gets really hot near something you don't want hot, you need sheilding.

Bonnet vents work well with radiator efficiency if positioned in a low pressure zone.

Bonnet vents do nothing to help with radiant heat melting parts when you are on the loud pedal.

If you want to get your nerd on get some thermocouples, a good meter and do some testing.

This old website taught me what to do to in relation looking for what is hot, what is not.

> http://origin.autospeed.com/cms/titl...6/article.html
https://www.autospeed.com/cms/a_113177/article.html
http://origin.autospeed.com/cms/titl...8/article.html

The car I had with the most heat issues was my old RB25/30 Nissan Skyline, but with some coatings, wraps, and reflective tape and a vented hood, I could lean on the car all day at the track, and then drive it home in peak hour traffic
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
RG4L (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 01:32 AM   #9
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
You sound like this style would suit, but:

Space?
Radiator?
Legalities?
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
RG4L (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #10
RG4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Pulling hot air from the engine bay, from my experience, the best spot for venting is along the hood behind the radiator.

This gives a nice low pressure zone for the air that has just passed through the radiator to excape, thus maximizing the efficiency of the radiator.

As for the hot parts radiating heat, coatings and wraps, the hot air, is typically pulled from underneath behind the engine bay and pulled out under the car.

For electronics and other bits that the radiant heat will effect, distance and sheilding.

In the end it comes down to building with sound engineering principles, if for some reason you need something that gets really hot near something you don't want hot, you need sheilding.

Bonnet vents work well with radiator efficiency if positioned in a low pressure zone.

Bonnet vents do nothing to help with radiant heat melting parts when you are on the loud pedal.

If you want to get your nerd on get some thermocouples, a good meter and do some testing.

This old website taught me what to do to in relation looking for what is hot, what is not.

> http://origin.autospeed.com/cms/titl...6/article.html
https://www.autospeed.com/cms/a_113177/article.html
http://origin.autospeed.com/cms/titl...8/article.html

The car I had with the most heat issues was my old RB25/30 Nissan Skyline, but with some coatings, wraps, and reflective tape and a vented hood, I could lean on the car all day at the track, and then drive it home in peak hour traffic
That is exactly what I was aiming for, not heat reduction per say but making the radiator intercooler much more efficient and my principal design was meant to be right behind it.