View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #114
mfbmike

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2008 R32
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I just installed my Grimmspeed strut bar and master brace cylinder.

The install for the master cylinder brace itself was not particularly difficult using this DIY: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21238

The biggest challenge was retrieving the red stopper after dropping it into my engine bay and after a few futile attempts, realizing that the fuel line bracket had to be taken out and installed on top of the brace instead of over it. Other than that, relatively simple - easier if you have smaller hands.

I followed this video DIY for the strut bar. Very, very self explanatory.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YrchyZDwiQ"]GrimmSpeed BRZ/FR-S Strut Tower Brace Install Guide - YouTube[/ame]

I did both installs in unison. Removed the drivers side "triangulation" bar for the master cylinder brace. Once that was done, replaced that bar, and then proceeded with putting in the strut bar.

Decided to take the car for a quick rip around a nearby secluded area (cement plant, factories) not far from the house.

Immediately you can feel the improved braking response. Definitely more confidence-inspiring getting on these stock brakes now. I stood on the brakes a few times from 60 MPH and it was easily apparent just how much of an improvement this piece does for reducing the flex that occurs under heavy braking scenarios. What's that smell?

The strut bar is also very noticeable significantly reducing body roll and stabilizing the car during cornering. I've seen some people post about it potentially inducing some understeer qualities. I can see that, less body roll will always lessen the "tossability" of a car to an extent. Understeer wasn't particularly noticeable in my very short drive post-install but the rear end might be harder to kick out now (even with 265/35 Michelin PSS that I have managed to break traction on before )

This car seemingly goes where you want, before the strut bar. After the strut bar, it goes where you want, but with more intent. The rear of the car is less "along for the ride" and more ready to travel along with the front of it, as a cohesive unit, if that makes any sense.

I have one particular on-ramp that I like to take relatively aggressively on a daily basis. I'm anxious to see how the car reacts to that curve with the strut bar in and even more excited to drive the car on the Dragon come April.

@GrimmSpeed I applaud you guys methods. As much of an OEM+ guy I claim to be, the TRD strut bar really looked like nothing more than a bling piece and didn't seem to offer as much function as you guys strut bar did. You guys reputation for designing and fabricating awesome products for our cars is well deserved.

I bought these pieces used so got a great deal on them. Regardless, great bang for the buck mods that I wouldn't hesitate to buy new and really improve the feel of this car and for me, that's what it's about through my mod process, the driving feel.

I have a limited edition GS battery tie down and engine oil cap that I also managed to scoop up used, those will be going in when I receive them on Thursday.

I do have a non-limited edition GS engine oil cap for sale now if anyone is interested. lol.

mfbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mfbmike For This Useful Post:
GrimmSpeed (12-13-2013)