Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmorris8848 View Post
The only trucks I have a problem with keeping in the lines are duallies, and that's because the hips are so dang big. Most other trucks are easy to keep in the lines if you're a good driver. I agree they are inefficient when it comes to gas mileage, but that's it. They're not made to take corners well, but neither are jeeps and SUVs. Maybe you just need to take a driving class or two
I do not have a problem keeping trucks or my trailer between the lines. Where I live, many, many people do. Duallies are the worst, while but anything but little old Toyotas and Nissans have issues. My road recently had a Mazda pickup flip, killing a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Not sure which truck you've been driving but I've never driven a standard/crew cab truck that comes anywhere near the issues you describe, and I've driven some very base trucks going back several decades. Newer ones are really just large cars in terms of ride/etc.

As far as gas mileage, a based Silverado with a V6 is rated at 18/24 and the V8 is rated at 16/23. An Impala is rated at 24/33. Not quite enough to say "far less efficient", plus well, it's an Impala....

And as far as the my "fat Friends" well, those were @Tcoat s friends not mine. My fat friends all ride motorcycles for the most part....

Again, my only point is lots of people drive vehicles that make no sense in their observed situation. For the most part we should all be riding motorcycles or bicycles if the judgment point is does the vehicle meet the current mission at hand.

I'm guessing we will need to agree to disagree, and I'm good with that. In your honor I'll drive my Suburban to work tomorrow instead of the FR-S.
Depending on how you want to play the statistics, you could say that the Impala gets 150% of the Silverado's rated city mileage and 143% of its highway mileage. Any way you cut it, it's a big difference.

I drove the Silverado, Ram, and Tundra. They all drove like trucks. They didn't drive as poorly as some older trucks, but like trucks, not large cars. The only truck-sized vehicle I've driven that drives like a car is the Mercedes GL. I almost bought one.

As for motorcycles, they're deathtraps. Fun, fun deathtraps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
Cowgirls!

If you haven't driven a new model full-size pickup lately, spend $20 and rent one for a day, I think you'll be impressed. That's what I do every few months to haul loads of rock, topsoil and fertilizer for the garden and then hurry to unload so I can have some fun up in the forest roads.

Last month it was a Silverado V-8 four door with an upmarket trim package but don't recall which. I got it with 20 miles on the odo and returned it with over 150, enough to realize why they could be practical DD's. I got about 16-17 mpg on regular hauling three loads, each weighing 500-1,000 lbs., up and down hilly terrain with ease. When empty, it accelerated, handled and rode much better than expected. Comfort and of course visibility are high points.

If I hauled big loads or towed often, there's not much else out there as versatile and practical as a pickup. Maybe that's why the best-selling vehicle in North America is the F-150 and most full-size truck plants are running at full capacity but still can't meet demand.
Like I said, a year ago, I had a Ram V8 8spd for a day. It was horrible to drive. It looked cool in bright red and got compliments. Tons of attention. Did I mention it was horrible to drive? Really, it wasn't all that much better than the 1995 GMC Safari we recently donated. It was quiet on the freeway, at least.

500-1000lbs isn't that much to haul. That's why I tow a trailer with my Forester. The trailer was only $700 or so from Lowes, and it hauls more than most half-ton pickups can carry in their beds. Plus I don't have to lift the load up high.

The only reason I see myself getting a truck is if I get a dedicated track car. And really, I don't see that happening because the FR-S is such a delight at the track and it can drive there and back without beating me up. Even more, if I do get a dedicated track car, I'm thinking Formula something, like a Formula 500. Then I can still haul it with the Forester!
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EAGLE5 For This Useful Post:
Twin4Life (08-06-2015)