Old 12-11-2014, 08:15 PM   #173
DarrenDriven
NW Region Moderator

Drives: FR-S No More
Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,091 Posts
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Update. Before my warranty expires in six months I am making one final effort to get Scion to assist me in enabling navigation in my car, which I thought I was getting back in June 2012 when the Bespoke head unit was first released.

This is getting tied up in several warranty issues, and this was the least of the three, but now the other two have been taken care of and this is the last nagging issue that drives me crazy with this car. (I just learned to ignore all the creaks and pops while I drive)

Basically, Scion is still sticking to the story that they are "investigating" a fix for anyone who was dumb enough to upgrade from their iPhone 4 to the iPhone 5.

Today I was told that they can't help me. I offered an alternative, that I purchase the newer Bespoke head unit and they could trade me my old one for the navigation add-on unit. Then I would finally have the functionality that was sold to me 2 1/2 years ago.

Their response was that they don't know if the new head unit will work in my 2013 FR-S and that it is my responsibility to work with a Scion dealership to determine that before we can continue. Are you serious? 1) the car hasn't changed, so of course it will work and 2) you guys ARE SCION! Why should I have to question some service guy... seems really strange.

So of course, I call one dealership and the service guy tells me he has to tear my dashboard apart in order to give me an answer. Dealership number two doesn't know and transfers me to parts, who doesn't know and transfers me to service. (sigh) Dealership number three has a computer issue, but tells me that he is pretty sure that it will work. Finally I find a guy online who is selling the new head units and nav units and tells me that yes, they will work. He doesn't work at Toyota, but he used to. Go figure.

So I fired off an email to my Scion Corporate rep... then noticed that at the bottom of her email, under her signature, there is fine print that says she can only be reached by phone and that she will not receive replies to the email. For friggin sake... so the saga continues.

Quote:
Angelica,

Thank you gain for putting up with me today. In my opinion, this Bespoke radio issue seems like a major oversight by Toyota and affects every early adopter who purchased an early 2013 FR-S with the first generation Bespoke head unit.

When I bought the car I was told by the Gresham Scion salesperson that I could upgrade the ugly base radio to a touch screen unit with navigation. The reality was that while I did get the touch screen, the navigation was not part of the unit itself, but a clunky iPhone app. Of course, that is moot because just months after buying the car the iPhone 5 was released and along with it came the new Lightning Cable which doesn't work with the 1st-gen Bespoke. In addition, the AUX input built into my dashboard also was rendered inoperable by the Bespoke upgrade. Essentially, the hundreds I spent to gain navigation were wasted.
http://a230.g.akamai.net/7/230/83646...lity_Chart.pdf

I understand that Scion tries to stay current on technology. There has been no visible attempt by Scion to bring a solution to this issue to Bespoke v1 owners. This issue surfaced in October 2012, over two years ago. The only solution I have been presented is that I must DOWNGRADE my phone to an iPhone 4S. That is not a reasonable solution, being forced to use a phone that is two generations antiquated.

I did some research today after I got off the phone with you. First of all, every single Scion FR-S starting mid-2013MY (and continuing today) came with the 2nd-gen Bespoke touchscreen.
http://www.scion.com/BeSpoke/features/

In addition, the navigation add-on unit (PT296-00142) is available to add navigation capability and apparently does not need a 3rd-party app to do so.

Now, because I was told by the salesperson that I was buying navigation I believe that it is the dealership's responsibility to make this right. Unfortunately, my saleperson no longer works there, ownership of the entire dealership has changed hands and the service department has proven themselves to be incompetent when it comes to anything more technical than an oil change (see my initial email for more information on that).

The fact is that Scion promoted this head unit as having navigation when it did not. At this point I am willing to purchase the new Bespoke head unit myself but I feel that Scion should allow me to trade my current Bespoke head unit for the navigation add-on unit.

Thank you for your time,

Darren

I realize now that I was wrong about all FR-S's coming with the Bespoke as standard equipment, they still come with the ugly non-touchscreen radio, but it doesn't matter, the email went to nowhere anyway.

So I wait for her to call me back tomorrow. I am not going to let this go until I get the nav I paid for or Scion stops taking my calls.

DarrenDriven is offline   Reply With Quote