Originally Posted by fasterthanu View Post
What you also do not know and cannot factor is:

improperly set clearances
bad line bore
installation error
driving habits
preventative maint

I could probably list another half dozen

I work on industrial machinery which utilize different types of lead,bronze babbit etc. If the lubrication is adequate, tolerances are maintained
and temperature is within range,a factory bearing will hold up no problem.

I have seen instances of bearings destroying crankshafts in industrial applications because the material was too hard.i would rather replace bearings than crankshafts
This is the exact reason I made this thread. I am hoping it is an install issue or another issue that "looks" like a bearing issue. I am literally about to pull the trigger on an expensive bottom end build. I stopped after reading about "possible" issues. I only have 1 confirmed motor with issues. And a shop that said that they had "other" issues but no on else has actually confirmed.

I would love to see the failed bearings. A number of vendors have told me that they are 100% confident in the oem bearings. I talked to Crawford earlier this morning and their staff confirmed that their "test" car is still running OEM subaru bearings and that the tach was reporting over 15k since that engine was assembled.

I also called ACL in Australia to confirm that they will in fact be closing down, they will in fact not be making bearings for this platform. They also confirmed that if they were it would be 2-3 years due to current desire for bearings for this platform. I asked them if I could purchase a one off set, or one off production for a high dollar value and was told it is unlikely that they would be able to do that with the factory shutting down.

It is starting to look like modified rods or oem bearings are the only two options for the time being, and likely the next 6-18 months. I am going to PM cf6mech and see if he has any photos of his failed bearings.
Old Setup: Vortech Supercharged 360WHP/262WTQ @ 11.5psi
My build thread - WTF happened to nelsmar's car thread
nelsmar is offline   Reply With Quote