View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #36
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeHeadBanger View Post
Trying to revive an old thread - does anyone have an update?

I took the vehicle to a couple of dealerships and of course, they said couldn't find any noises on the vehicle up to 70mph. They can't go higher than 70 mph since the technicians are not allowed to speed in a customer vehicle. They have a completely valid point but I still found it to be a very lame excuse. I have looked at multiple vehicle forums to at least get a clue to which part this noise may be related to but haven't gotten anything.

It definitely seems like a transmission whine as this happens only in the 6th gear. Can it be a bad bearing? Does a manual transmission have a fluid pump like the automatic transmissions - could this be the source of the noise?
@Falcon - what did you apply to reduce the noise?
@sobrz - Did you find anything that has helped you with the noise?
I dont know if this will help you but I hear gear whine in my car only on third gear. I believe it to be the synchros and here's why:

When I had the car brand new, no gear whine at all. I started racing (lapping at first, nothing competitive) 2 months after I bought it. A few years after, still racing the car, the whine has appeared. As time passed by, it got worse. And as of now, it has stopped getting worse, what changed? Simple, I wasnt heel-toeing while downshifting. I knew nothing about real racing (only virtual stuff) when I started lapping the car and I didnt even know what heel-toe was. At first my technique was pretty bad, but as of lately it has gotten much better. I think the synchros working overtime to speed up the gears while I downshifted has wore them down prematurely. Why third gear you may ask? Because in all but 3 corners out of the 4 different tracks I've been to, I have to downshift to third for all corners where downshift is needed, so third has seen more downshifts while racing than all of the other gears combined.

I wont take my car in for warranty work because it is heavily modified and Ecutek tuned on dyno. I will race it as is and weight my options when (yes when, not if) my transmition goes out to see if I put another stocker or get something better.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote