Old 07-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #19
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
This assumes that the holes in both pieces are so precisely located that centered is going to be perfect. Again I see the possibility for fault with this line if thinking. One of the reasons for the large holes is to allow for tolerances in the manufacturing process. Without the large holes on a small number of cars it wouldn't be possible to center the subframe. Unless the tolerances for a subframe have decreased significantly.
Every features has tolerances, and the stack-up is probably quite significant, given how many parts that bolt goes through.

On top of that... the hole size needs to allow for decent alignment after a certain amount of frame damage/bending. I wouldn't be surprised if there were validation requirement for serviceable structural members. Something like "Subject 6 DUTs to 30 mph front-end collisions. Remove and reinstall the structural member 10 times. Insertion force shall be less than 20 lbs. Torque required to fully mate the component to each mounting surface shall not exceed 80% of torque specified in the service manual."

I'm curious how much "serviceability" is designed into our vehicles, because Toyota has quite the reputation... and it's probably not a coincidence. "Design for Serviceability" seems like it must be someone's job there.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shankenstein For This Useful Post:
Calum (07-01-2015), Hyper4mance2k (07-01-2015)