View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #114
Torquesteered

Drives: 07 fusion
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroWRX View Post
I'd say this is the first case in history of such an automobile was created where one company essentially did most of the work, and another company claimed it was theirs. In this case, both companies are separate entities and each one will benefit pretty much individually from the car. (Toyota slightly more due to buying 16.5% of Subaru before creating this car). Wouldn't matter if all the spoils of war goes back to one company because it's just really one cash pool at the end.

It has to do with principles more than anything else. If both Toyota and Subaru agreed to announce the production model on the same day and/or even together we could've skipped most of the drama. Since Toyota bought almost a quarter of Subaru, there was no issue for splitting the spoils of war. But imagine if you were the engineers who poured your blood and sweat into the car and can't wait to announce it Monday morning... only to have someone else come in and say they did most of the work and announce it first Sunday night. How would you feel?

Secondly, both cars are identical aside from some subjective aesthetics on the exterior (include internal seat material and color palette). Subaru/Toyota tuning and spring rates etc. can are all very superficial modifications which can be changed by the end user anyways. So we even have less reasons to choose between the two other than subjective preference.

I think the case of the FT86, it is most definitely valid to choose Subaru over Toyota just out of principle rather than subjective preference, or even brand loyalty. As an engineer, I would totally call foul play in this matter and have a hard time bringing myself to support Toyota with my money. It's the ultimate dishonor in the engineering world to do such a thing.

It's just hilarious that very shortly after Toyota announced the production model, Subaru announced the STI concept. It really does show who was more ready due to Subaru easily pulling something under their sleeves since they have the bulk of the engineering and design done.

This is all . You talk about this as if you know... and you don't...

This car was designed and engineered in tandom. They are the same car being built in the same plant. Neither company had the ability to build it on their own atm, subaru couldn't afford to and toyota has no assembly plant with an opening. They may even be sharing profit on both cars, as in both companies make money no matter what badge is on it.

You can't make an accurate assesment of the situation by what engineers and reporters say. If you don't like one company or the other thats your buisness but don't spread biased speculation on this forum. We don't care who did what, we care that it exists. If you want to practice brand fanboism take it to one of the makers forums. This forum is for all 3 of the cars.
Torquesteered is offline   Reply With Quote