Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   How accurate is 6MT Fluid Capacity? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154469)

ChesterV 02-16-2024 10:25 PM

How accurate is 6MT Fluid Capacity?

I changed my transmission and differential fluid today.
Going by the owner's manual, the car needs 2.3qts of Transmission Fluid and 1.22 Differential Fluid.

I used Motul Gear 300 on both. However, when I was filling up my transmission, on my 3rd quart. I have reached almost half of the bottle and it didn't spill out of the fill plug. Now I'm worried that I underfill my transmission.

Should I be worried even I did not fill the transmission until fluid spills out considering I have put the right volume of fluid from the owner's manual?

Ultramaroon 02-16-2024 11:59 PM

It's fine. Doesn't need to be perfect. Is the rear sitting lower than the front?

ChesterV 02-17-2024 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3601584)
It's fine. Doesn't need to be perfect. Is the rear sitting lower than the front?

They were pretty even. It was on 4 jack stands on a evenly drive way. Drained 30-45 minutes after running 15 miles.

Just worried because everywhere I look, everyone says the same to fill up until it overflows. Now I'm thinking since mine don't overflow, my transmission is underfilled even though I put approximate 2.36quarts(if calculation was perfect)

Ultramaroon 02-17-2024 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChesterV (Post 3601587)
They were pretty even. It was on 4 jack stands on a evenly drive way. Drained 30-45 minutes after running 15 miles.

Just worried because everywhere I look, everyone says the same to fill up until it overflows. Now I'm thinking since mine don't overflow, my transmission is underfilled even though I put approximate 2.36quarts(if calculation was perfect)

It's probably going to annoy you until you verify for yourself. I bet after all the work of lifting and removing the fill plug, you won't get more than a couple ounces in.

But the peace of mind will be worth it.

ChesterV 02-17-2024 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3601591)
It's probably going to annoy you until you verify for yourself. I bet after all the work of lifting and removing the fill plug, you won't get more than a couple ounces in.

But the peace of mind will be worth it.

Lol I lost sleep thinking about it. I don't have time until next week to top it off. I think I should be fine since I followed the owner's manual

Mcgiiver 03-23-2024 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChesterV (Post 3601580)
I changed my transmission and differential fluid today.
Going by the owner's manual, the car needs 2.3qts of Transmission Fluid and 1.22 Differential Fluid.

I used Motul Gear 300 on both. However, when I was filling up my transmission, on my 3rd quart. I have reached almost half of the bottle and it didn't spill out of the fill plug. Now I'm worried that I underfill my transmission.

Should I be worried even I did not fill the transmission until fluid spills out considering I have put the right volume of fluid from the owner's manual?

If you have 2 1/2 qts in there, and it still did not overflow, don't worry about it, you are close enough. There is a good possibility that if you added just 1/8 ounce more, you would get the overflow. At 2 1/2 qts you have plenty of oil for proper lubrication. These transmissions are not Swiss watches.

gnarjunkie 04-25-2024 02:43 PM

I found that since there's always a bit of spillage plus you won't get 100% of the fluid out of each bottle that it takes a bit more than you'd think. I always just go til it spills out.

I highly doubt you'd hurt anything driving it for a few days. But I'd personally top it off as soon as I had a bit of free time. Only would take 10 min or so to do.