Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Any official 0-60 times between auto and manual? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5494)

evicfinite 04-29-2012 04:55 AM

Any official 0-60 times between auto and manual?

so far i have not seen any real 0-60 times between the auto and manual of the FR-S or the BRZ, does anyone know a good source that did this testing?

this might sway me to decide what i would choose.

pros and cons.

automatic:
better on gas
easier in traffic
could use the free hand to hold a girls hand
could eat a hamburger

Manual:
like driving a car
what enthusiast should get
lighter
cheaper

anyways let me know if there were posted times for 0-60 for auto and manual.

#87 04-29-2012 04:58 AM

lol i have a pet peeve of girls holding my hand when driving

According to EPA auto in this gets better mileage

:iono:

Calum 04-29-2012 05:27 AM

Your driving style will have a bigger effect on mileage then the transmission will, so ymmv.

You can still hold and eat a hamburger while driving a manual. A friend of mine shifts through 18 gears with a tea in one hand and his lunch in the other, regularly.

Just food for thought

#87 04-29-2012 05:32 AM

So that's why those guys merge without signaling or looking, they are just not holding the steering wheel. It all makes sense now

civicdrivr 04-29-2012 07:03 AM

^ :lol:

russv 04-29-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #87 (Post 194898)
So that's why those guys merge without signaling or looking, they are just not holding the steering wheel. It all makes sense now

Driving a manual makes it so much easier to miss the shifter and grab a knee:lol:

Jeff Lange 04-29-2012 12:35 PM

Official 0-60 is 7.3 for 6MT and 8.0 for 6AT.
Official 1/4mi is 15.6 for 6MT and 16.1 6AT.

Jeff

86knecht 04-29-2012 12:39 PM

The six speed would probably only be like .5 seconds faster.
The six speed would still be way more fun to drive, defiantly if your going to the track

MrFRsLa 04-29-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russv (Post 194985)
Driving a manual makes it so much easier to miss the shifter and grab a knee:lol:

Yup!!

I have scene as much as 2 sec difference in 0-60 between both depends on the driver like always.

I will be making hard rights all day when I have a lady in the passenger seat. :burnrubber:

Love to the hear the ladies scream.

Holding hands really??? JK

SkitterSkotter 04-29-2012 02:49 PM

According to the dealer 80% of the models will be produced in the manual version, 20% in the auto. With a car like this, why would you even consider getting an auto!?

carbonBLUE 04-29-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evicfinite (Post 194890)
so far i have not seen any real 0-60 times between the auto and manual of the FR-S or the BRZ, does anyone know a good source that did this testing?

pros and cons.

automatic:
better on gas
easier in traffic
could eat a hamburger

Manual:
like driving a car
lighter
cheaper

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpPrKrkXqXM&feature=player_embedded"]BRZvs86vsRoadster 0-400Test - YouTube[/ame]

just do a timing off this video, its around 6.2-6.3 0-60

MrFRsLa 04-29-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkitterSkotter (Post 195099)
According to the dealer 80% of the models will be produced in the manual version, 20% in the auto. With a car like this, why would you even consider getting an auto!?

Yeah with the First 86's about 75% order manuals! I am getting a manual myself. IDK just more control overall.

SixSpeed 04-29-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

pros and cons.

automatic:
better on gas
easier in traffic
could eat a hamburger

Manual:
like driving a car
lighter
cheaper

could use the free hand to eat a hamburger

dsgerbc 04-29-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbonBLUE (Post 195101)
just do a timing off this video, its around 6.2-6.3 0-60

More like 7+ off that video. 60mph requires 3rd gear and it's ~6.5s to the top of 2nd gear. Speedo lies.

SUB-FT86 04-29-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange (Post 195010)

Jeff

Where did you get the auto 0-60?

Jeff Lange 04-29-2012 08:51 PM

The new car features book.

Jeff

Steve 04-29-2012 10:51 PM

having to go into 3rd to hit 60 kills the number on paper :(

how to not be shunned by oblivious fast and the furious enthusiasts? :O

at least the car looks fast

better yet, imagine a world where everything little thing wasn't compared, nit picked and measured in numbers. but instead decisions were based on feel, whoa mind blown

thanks to fairly lightweight this car will feel faster than these numbers suggest, it will feel faster than bigger cars that go faster

even better yet, you can take the corner faster, and taking corners fast is even more fun than going in a straight line fast

whoa mind blown more

Quentin 04-29-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 195414)
having to go into 3rd to hit 60 kills the number on paper :(

how to not be shunned by oblivious fast and the furious enthusiasts? :O

at least the car looks fast

better yet, imagine a world where everything little thing wasn't compared, nit picked and measured in numbers. but instead decisions were based on feel, whoa mind blown

thanks to fairly lightweight this car will feel faster than these numbers suggest, it will feel faster than bigger cars that go faster

even better yet, you can take the corner faster, and taking corners fast is even more fun than going in a straight line fast

whoa mind blown more

Could be a blessing in disguise. It might salvage our insurance rates.

naticedog04 04-30-2012 04:43 AM

Ive been wanting to say this for a while and have yet to hear anyone mention it... When driving an automatic i dont care what shoes/sandals/barefoot im using cause it all feels the same... Boring/non-engaging
On the opposite side, change up the shoes while driving a manual and the feel changes... This is the number one reason i hate dressing up and wearing dress shoes cause it changes the feel of my clutch and gas pedal to a point of less feel... I love driving in my "chucks" cause it promotes the best feel between pedal and foot
For all u automatic drivers out there, u'll never experience that cause its all the same when stepping on the gas and brake pedal with the right foot... U have no idea how ur left foot and right foot push the pedals differently... The clutch pedal is always stiiffer than the brake and gas pedal... U'll be able to tell when driving a manual with different shoes, or by pushing the clutch pedal with ur right foot at a dead stop. (i dont recomend doing this while actual driving)
Anyways, driving an automatic takes away the feel of the car, not by inches but miles(pun intended)

lpnnlp 04-30-2012 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naticedog04 (Post 195645)
Ive been wanting to say this for a while and have yet to hear anyone mention it... When driving an automatic i dont care what shoes/sandals/barefoot im using cause it all feels the same... Boring/non-engaging
On the opposite side, change up the shoes while driving a manual and the feel changes... This is the number one reason i hate dressing up and wearing dress shoes cause it changes the feel of my clutch and gas pedal to a point of less feel... I love driving in my "chucks" cause it promotes the best feel between pedal and foot
For all u automatic drivers out there, u'll never experience that cause its all the same when stepping on the gas and brake pedal with the right foot... U have no idea how ur left foot and right foot push the pedals differently... The clutch pedal is always stiiffer than the brake and gas pedal... U'll be able to tell when driving a manual with different shoes, or by pushing the clutch pedal with ur right foot at a dead stop. (i dont recomend doing this while actual driving)
Anyways, driving an automatic takes away the feel of the car, not by inches but miles(pun intended)

I was about to gift you my Porsche with PDK, but now that you have said this...

LeftFootBrake 04-30-2012 05:36 AM

Luckily, I'm here to happily take his place. ;)

Laika 04-30-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeftFootBrake (Post 195651)
Luckily, I'm here to happily take his place. ;)

And with the most possible ironic username for the situation too

Sport-Tech 04-30-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 195414)

The main reason this car will feel faster is due to the low driving position - look at onboard driving videos with different camera mounts to see this - low-mounted bumper cams make a car feel much faster. Light weight will contribute a bit primarily due to the vehicle's reduced isolation from NVH, which can add to the subjective sensation of speed.

Sleeperz 04-30-2012 10:37 AM

The Automatic is better on gas because it has a double overdrive 0.713 0.582 4th-1.000 while the 6MT is a single overdrive 0.767/ 5th-1.000.

The 6MT is faster because its 1/2 gearing is slightly higher.

So the MT is for the enthusiast/track while the AT is more for the daily driver who wants better gas mileage.
Since the transmission gearing is very different a MT car is very different speed wise from the AT car.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5280

Quote:

pros and cons.

automatic:
better on gas
easier in traffic
could eat a hamburger

Manual:
like driving a car
lighter
cheaper

carbonBLUE 04-30-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsgerbc (Post 195219)
More like 7+ off that video. 60mph requires 3rd gear and it's ~6.5s to the top of 2nd gear. Speedo lies.

ohh yeah cause cars that do 0-60 in 7 seconds pull 14.3 quarter mile runs... :lol:

dsgerbc 04-30-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbonBLUE (Post 195787)
ohh yeah cause cars that do 0-60 in 7 seconds pull 14.3 quarter mile runs... :lol:

7+ seconds from a dead stop, not from 2-3mph. Don't believe me - download the file and count the frames.

Sleeperz 04-30-2012 01:00 PM

6.2 sec from stop. clutch dump from 4600 RPM.
Video start 0-60 mph run @ 1:50

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5528

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsgerbc (Post 195811)
7+ seconds from a dead stop, not from 2-3mph. Don't believe me - download the file and count the frames.

dsgerbc 04-30-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeperz (Post 195830)

I'm not disputing it can be done, just the particular video that was referenced. Launch in that one was pretty gentle.

86fanatic 04-30-2012 02:39 PM

I think some of you guys are missing the point. The car was not meant to be competitive in motorsports. If you are worried about a few tenths difference in the 0-60 times between the auto and manual, why are you even considering the car at all? You can get a much faster 0-60 time for about the same price in a different car, Mustang, Cooper S, etc.

Plenty of reviews have stated that the auto is a great application for the track. It down shifts when you expect before corners, and it has a very smooth operation. Yes, it won't be as fast around the course as a manual, but then again that isn't the point of the car anyway.

Anyway I disagree that the auto is only a valid option for the commuters and people who just want to hold their girlfriend's hands while eating a hamburger.

For me, shifting is a mechanical chore. It doesn't make me feel more connected to the car, it's simply a task I have to perform over and over to extract the right amount of power from the car. Driving a modern performance oriented automatic or DCT, and I was instantly converted. I understand shifting makes some people feel more connected to the car, but for me, it's a chore especially when we have the technology to do it better then humans.

That said I'm glad there the option for both, but I don't think you guys should be framing it as one is the "right" choice over the other, especially based on 0-60 times.

Rampage 04-30-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeperz (Post 195830)

Not to get back into the 0-60 arguement but on that run he sings out the 0-60 time while he half way reved out in 2nd gear and it has been reported before that the car has to be shifted into third before it actually reaches 60 MPH so the run in the video is suspect. Plus with the amount of wheelspin that he got before the car actually established any forward momentum I doubt that he produced his best run there.

Anyway, who cares about 0-60. Watch that whole video. It is all about balance. Acceleration/Handling/Feel/Sounds/Street manners/Comfort/Price

carbonBLUE 04-30-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

i dont believe you, i just know for a fact that if it takes you 7.0+ seconds to 60.... your not hitting below 15 seconds in a quarter mile...

most cars going below 14.5 1/4 mile have a 6.4 0-60 or better

denkigrve 04-30-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Or you could go back to Page 1 of this thread and read this post instead of relying on a really inconsistent method to figure this out:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange (Post 195010)

Jeff

I guess everyone just ignored his post. So sad. Jeff always has good input, and solid information.

denkigrve 04-30-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rampage (Post 195966)
Anyway, who cares about 0-60. Watch that whole video. It is all about balance. Acceleration/Handling/Feel/Sounds/Street manners/Comfort/Price

We have a winner!

If 0-60 and 1/4 miles are your thing, then this is not the car for you. You'll end up spending more than you would on a stock WRX that could net you better 0-60 and 1/4 times.

Turbowned 04-30-2012 04:13 PM

This will be one of few cars where having an automatic actually hurts resale value.

Who hasn't gone looking for a used Miata or RX-7 and found the perfect one, only to find out it's:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...r/19732857.jpg

Oriental Life 04-30-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbowned (Post 196044)
This will be one of few cars where having an automatic actually hurts resale value.

If that AT is good for 60K+ IS-F, its good for me.

Actually I have a strong feeling that in FT-86 package we are underpaying for that automatic tranny at least 2-3K for what it is.

It will be interesting to watch dynamics of the resale value, just to find out that AT is sought after more, since its wasn't popular with die-hards :)

dsgerbc 04-30-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carbonBLUE (Post 195978)
i dont believe you, i just know for a fact that if it takes you 7.0+ seconds to 60.... your not hitting below 15 seconds in a quarter mile...

most cars going below 14.5 1/4 mile have a 6.4 0-60 or better

Most cars also don't shift into 3rd to get to 60. Like I said - download that video and count frames.

carbonBLUE 04-30-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsgerbc (Post 196084)
Most cars also don't shift into 3rd to get to 60. Like I said - download that video and count frames.

so you did the frames to 99 km/h? or 100 km/h?

Turbowned 04-30-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oriental Life (Post 196080)
If that AT is good for 60K+ IS-F, its good for me.

Actually I have a strong feeling that in FT-86 package we are underpaying for that automatic tranny at least 2-3K for what it is.

It will be interesting to watch dynamics of the resale value, just to find out that AT is sought after more, since its wasn't popular with die-hards :)

The IS-F is a Luxury Sport Sedan, which by all rights ought to have been offered with a manual transmission like all it's competitors did: BMW M3, Cadillac CTS-V, Audi RS 4/S4.

lpnnlp 04-30-2012 05:18 PM

I don't know what it is about a competent automatic that brings out the MT purists with various levels of condescension of those who choose otherwise.

I came here because this car is offering the kind of control a MT offers without the chore of shifting.

I could take my laundry to a river bed with a washboard. No doubt I will really get in touch with the stains, the seams, and the quality of detergent I am using. Now we have machines with buttons for that, just like our transmissions.

Oriental Life 04-30-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbowned (Post 196119)
The IS-F is a Luxury Sport Sedan, which by all rights ought to have been offered with a manual transmission like all it's competitors did: BMW M3, Cadillac CTS-V, Audi RS 4.

So what? :iono: It still outruns M3 by .1 sec in a 1/4 mile race. Don't make me use the Porsche card.

Things have changed.