Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Aftermarket Crank Pulley Install (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12583)

thejevans 07-31-2012 10:26 AM

When doing mine the other day, the part that the pulley rides on came out. Let me tell you, it was a bitch to put back. there is a notch on the back of it that needs to be lined up, and has no wiggle room. Once it slides out a 1/2", then you got a problem. Be very careful to make sure this doesn't happen.

xcelir8brz 07-31-2012 04:37 PM

Well done!

Mr.Jay 07-31-2012 04:45 PM

Did you get that from TiTAN by any chance?

I sent him my money but later found that he got banned which would explain the lack of communication from a otherwise really quick to respond vendor.

have any contact info I could use?

Sall 07-31-2012 05:27 PM

anyone in socal that has done this mod that can helped me do mine???its been a month since i received my pulley i already try 3 times to take off the stock pulley but i cant.the stock pulley keeps rotating everytime id try get it loose.ive done everything right,car in 6th gear,ebrake,brakes but the stock pulley rotates so i cant get it loose helpppppp :(

Sportsguy83 07-31-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sall (Post 350432)
anyone in socal that has done this mod that can helped me do mine???its been a month since i received my pulley i already try 3 times to take off the stock pulley but i cant.the stock pulley keeps rotating everytime id try get it loose.ive done everything right,car in 6th gear,ebrake,brakes but the stock pulley rotates so i cant get it loose helpppppp :(

I spent about two hours trying to loosen the stock pulley. My mistake was, I was not setting the e-brake hard ebough and the crank kept rotating. Also, use a long breaker bar, set that e-brake very firm and 6th gear and turn it. It will work.

wu_dot_com 07-31-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sall (Post 350432)

im in cerritos, just installed mine last night.

though it wasnt easy, i was able to do it in under 30 min.

I usually gets home around 8, let me know if you want to bring your car by.

Sall 07-31-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsguy83 (Post 350489)
I spent about two hours trying to loosen the stock pulley. My mistake was, I was not setting the e-brake hard ebough and the crank kept rotating. Also, use a long breaker bar, set that e-brake very firm and 6th gear and turn it. It will work.

like i said im doin everything right.but my stock pulley rotates way too much idk why

Sportsguy83 07-31-2012 07:38 PM

How long is the breaker bar you are using?

Calum 07-31-2012 08:12 PM

I did mine the other day. The vast majority of what I did was the same as the OP's. The biggest difference though is that I didn't need to remove the filter box or sensor, only the intake tube.

My list of tools was sockets: 8mm, 10mm, 14mm, and 22mm. Also a ratchet, short extension, and a breaker bar. You may also need needle nose pliers to remove the PCV tube from the intake tube. Oh, and of course a small amount of oil.

jpit 08-02-2012 02:59 AM

Also, make sure the O ring doesn't slip off.

Black Tire 08-02-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enigmus (Post 334645)

http://www.lastonehere.com/misc2012/...perrin-15s.jpg
Get some motor oil and grease up the threads and flat surface of the bolt head before inserting back into the pulley.

Great DIY! I wonder if you could use anti-sieze on the crank pulley bolt instead of motor oil. [Speaking here from the land of road salt and sand.]

thejevans 08-02-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sall (Post 350593)
like i said im doin everything right.but my stock pulley rotates way too much idk why

I had this problem as well. There's a simple solution that should solve your problems.

-Put the car in neutral
-Put the beaker bar with socket on the pulley
-Move the breaker bar as far CLOCKWISE as it will go
-Put the car in sixth
-Pull the breaker bar COUNTER-CLOCKWISE and you should have enough room to break the bolt loose even with the play in sixth

Good luck.

wu_dot_com 08-02-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportsguy83 (Post 350676)
How long is the breaker bar you are using?

we tried 24" breaker (the longest avaliable at autozone). no help. he and i were going at it for at least an hour.

we think the problem is something his friend did to the car during his first attempt.

we crank the bolt so hard that the car even rotate while the bolt just stay dead on.

as a last resort, we even spray some WD40 on the bolt head flange hoping it would loosen it up... no luck.

im now thinking perhaps kroil might help...

wu_dot_com 08-02-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thejevans (Post 355086)
I had this problem as well. There's a simple solution that should solve your problems.

-Put the car in neutral
-Put the beaker bar with socket on the pulley
-Move the breaker bar as far CLOCKWISE as it will go
-Put the car in sixth
-Pull the breaker bar COUNTER-CLOCKWISE and you should have enough room to break the bolt loose even with the play in sixth

Good luck.

we tried something similar, like releasing the break and let the car roll for a bit in 6 to get a good grip... no luck... perhaps your methond is better and worth a try.