Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   2JZ swap? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7109)

bimmerboy 06-03-2012 11:03 AM

LF-A engine would be insane.

Jonny Rochester 06-03-2012 11:35 AM

Consider this. The FA20 motor is very low and flat. They took advantage of this and lowered the hood. Then they lowered the seating position, and the dash, and the steering wheel and everything.

So now if you put an upright motor in an 86, it would probably need to be dry sumped and the hood still wouldn't close on it. A new hood would need to be made, making it look rediculas, and the driver couldn't see where he/she is going and it would understeer like a drag car.

If you have a 2 litre car, then race it in a 2 litre class.

Matador 06-03-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nafe (Post 231115)
233kw IS350 3.5l v6.... Winrar

This. I think if they use this platform to ever do a Lexus roadster (a la benz slk350 or bmw z4), a dry sumped 2GR is the IDEAL candidate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews (Post 230753)
2J was a great engine 15 years ago. great peak power. but not great power under the curve, or great hp to lb ratio. Big indestructible iron block is good for going in straight lines. But heck, even toyota swapped it out for something more effective for JGTC...

Don't get it twisted. it might be outdated, but the 2JZ was way ahead of it's time technologically, and it IS a great engine. The fact that people have used it's underlying strengths to tune for top end and straightline racing take nothing away from the motor. They didn't need to use it for JGTC as the 3S motor made the mandated 500hp without breaking much of a sweat at a much lighter weight. The JZ, though heavy, is still far lighter than any RB motor from that era, or any iron block I6 from that time period. The UZ engine which replaced the 3S in JGTC, is for all intents and purpose, an Aluminum, NA, V8 JZ. You guys stateside have yet to see half of what the UZ has to offer... but I digress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbowned (Post 231924)
But as long as we're talking ridiculous swaps, how about an LF-A motor?
http://www.autoshippingnetwork.com/b...009-engine.jpg

I've been jonesing for toyota to do an 86 Concept/show car with a 1LR swap. Just for shit's n giggles. :wub:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch (Post 232460)
The BMW 5.0L S85 V10 from the previous generation M5 and M6 has just north of 500hp.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_S85

As does the 5.2L Audi put in the R8, with slightly lower-powered versions in the S6 and S8.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._560-4.2FR8.29

Those engines are more than a little bit heavier than the LR. The S85 is a remarkable engine in it's own right though. :wub:

noAE86 06-03-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symbiont (Post 238020)
A gentleman of my acquaintance with knowledge of the issue claims that the BMW engine you're referring to actually dyno'd closer to 700bhp, but was downplayed for insurance reasons.

hjrigi,jnbeadrb <--- my jaw hitting the keyboard!

i knew it was powerful but i never looked into it much part from some seat time in the car, unfortunately my mates one was pre revamp and it would strangle the engine down when ever we tried some silly behavior, so we never really got to unleash the full potential of the beast, nun the less the tires where melted easy,

im definitely going to T-bone his rear quarter panel, i mean someone might definitely going to T-bone his rear quarter panel one night,
sorry folks way off topic,

Matt Andrews 06-03-2012 08:20 PM

I'm not hating the engine itself. I road raced a mk4 for several years and have driven some of the fastest 2j time attack cars in the country. I do roll my eyes with all the swaps that people do with this engine. If we're going to go for a big power engine, why not a ls swap? :p

NYC BRZ 06-03-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews (Post 238982)
I'm not hating the engine itself. I road raced a mk4 for several years and have driven some of the fastest 2j time attack cars in the country. I do roll my eyes with all the swaps that people do with this engine. If we're going to go for a big power engine, why not a ls swap? :p

LS engines FTW! Coming from a 6.0L L76 (LS2 Bottom end w/ LS3 Top End) I can tell you that the power/torque LS engines make with very little bolt ons will certainly be better horsepower/$$ than a 2JZ. The all aluminum LS engines and T56/T6060 trans are plentiful and will cost a hell of a lot less and be much easier to acquire.

noAE86 06-04-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYC BRZ (Post 239089)
LS engines FTW! Coming from a 6.0L L76 (LS2 Bottom end w/ LS3 Top End) I can tell you that the power/torque LS engines make with very little bolt ons will certainly be better horsepower/$$ than a 2JZ. The all aluminum LS engines and T56/T6060 trans are plentiful and will cost a hell of a lot less and be much easier to acquire.

LS engine's are great no argument here,
but the same can be said for the 1uzfe and 3uz, we can do just as much with 4ltrs. 500cc per bore is perfect for just about everything,
and it would also "keep it in the family" so to speak, when we talk to customers about what engine swap they want, 99% of the time they say "same brand please"
and i agree for the most part, selling the car in the future is much more easy when its not mismatched parts too,

wire and fire conversions are easier with same brand parts,

if you want a headache....

daytona cobra body, (chromoly tube not box ladder)
nissan v8,
toyota R154 5speed,
R33 GTR back end, s15 silvia front end,
evo brembo brakes
this is a mates project, from spare parts from around the shop, for taga rally of new zealand we hope, its going to be such a handful,

noAE86 06-04-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nix (Post 238183)
A fully built 3s-gte would be my pic but would be a fun job. You can still get relatively new ones from JDM caldinas and stuff too.

engine is too tall, ST245 caldina 3sgte is 2 inch taller then its predecessor (cam covers). and slanting it messes up the front end weights, only way it would ever fit is to slimline dry sump it, and redesign the cam cover to a smaller profile.

as much as i would love a yamaha motor in the gt86/fr-s the boxer by far is the best choice,

Matador 06-04-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noAE86 (Post 239819)
engine is too tall, ST245 caldina 3sgte is 2 inch taller then its predecessor (cam covers). and slanting it messes up the front end weights, only way it would ever fit is to slimline dry sump it, and redesign the cam cover to a smaller profile.

as much as i would love a yamaha motor in the gt86/fr-s the boxer by far is the best choice,

Come again?

Turbowned 06-04-2012 10:22 AM

EJ207/257 and maybe an EZ30R are the only engines I'd care to see swapped into this car.

nmctacticz 02-14-2015 12:54 PM

I would swap it for the STI boxer engine, 2.5L turbo. now we're talking

slicktop 02-14-2015 02:56 PM

Thanks for the thread revival. June 2012.

OmarGC 02-16-2015 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmctacticz (Post 2132395)
I would swap it for the STI boxer engine, 2.5L turbo. now we're talking

Lol least reliable engine you could bring up for a swap

jkrlox 05-18-2015 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmarGC (Post 2133867)
Lol least reliable engine you could bring up for a swap

EJ20 JDM maybe?