Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jeremy Clarkson on the GT86 in the Sunday Times (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18701)

Marrk 10-02-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchlanez (Post 471489)
The classical RWD proportions of the FR-S does make it look bigger. The dramatic swooping front, elongated middle, and abbreviated butch rear with bulging fenders at the extremities throw you off. But when you see all of it in person the size gives you a sense that a lot of business was efficiently packed into a compact space. It's low, serious, and nimble. I owned a Celica GT then a Celica GT-S between 1999-2009 and its singular wedge styling (which worked as a FWD car) makes it look smaller in pictures but if you stood next to both the Celica/FR-S you'll believe the difference in those dimensions you posted.

My gripe mostly is that it is too tall. Why does a car that brags about having a low-mounted engine have such a high hood/fender line? Aside from those FAIL front wheel humps, which are strictly for show and have no function.

Note: I thought the front wheel humps were working better on the one-off roadster that was on show at DHC Toyota. Maybe the convertible FR-S will look great with them.

Dadhawk 10-02-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxJunkie (Post 470770)
...Subjective. After having seen a few on the road, I really can't say I'm in love with the styling as delivered. The stock wheel offset is awful and the back end is awfully busy. A drop and low offset wheels will fix that, but the bone stock cars I've seen in person really don't send me into a tizzy.

Subjective is the right word.

Try as I might to like it, every picture of an FRS I've seen that has been treated to a "drop and a low offset" looks wrong to me. I much prefer the stock look. I don't usually have this reaction to (reasonably) dropped cars.

Back to the review, not sure what it is Clarkson doesn't like about the looks, but hey that's OK. I agree with him on the rest of it so its all good!

SubieNate 10-02-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marrk (Post 472171)
My gripe mostly is that it is too tall. Why does a car that brags about having a low-mounted engine have such a high hood/fender line? Aside from those FAIL front wheel humps, which are strictly for show and have no function.

Note: I thought the front wheel humps were working better on the one-off roadster that was on show at DHC Toyota. Maybe the convertible FR-S will look great with them.

It's really not that tall. Sit one next to any modern American muscle and you'll appreciate how small it is. And us tall guys appreciate what height it does have. ;)

That said, I like the wheel humps for one reason (aside from the fact that I like them aesthetically.) And that is the fact that they allow me to REALLY see the corners of the car well while driving and make placing the car accurately while driving hard a cake walk.

Nathan

LSxJunkie 10-02-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubieNate (Post 472232)
It's really not that tall. Sit one next to any modern American muscle and you'll appreciate how small it is. And us tall guys appreciate what height it does have. ;)

That said, I like the wheel humps for one reason (aside from the fact that I like them aesthetically.) And that is the fact that they allow me to REALLY see the corners of the car well while driving and make placing the car accurately while driving hard a cake walk.

Nathan

It's tall enough to satisfy European pedestrian impact standards.

SubieNate 10-02-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxJunkie (Post 472327)
It's tall enough to satisfy European pedestrian impact standards.

So you're saying it'd be better if it couldn't be sold in half the world? ;)

switchlanez 10-02-2012 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marrk (Post 472171)

Not sure if being sarcastic or just trolling? :iono:

1) Fender bulge is functional for driver to place car on road as @SubieNate mentioned.

2) Fender bulge is functional for suspension clearance. Just like the Porsche 911 and Cayman, the FR-S uses an inboard strut/spring layout (as opposed to most other cars where the spring seats hover over the top of the tire). So the struts are already placed lower than normal. But because the flat engine is mounted so low, the strut towers look tall in comparison and require the bulges:
http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...478-123187.jpg

The Veloster doesn't look particularly tall compared to other cars on the road. But when next to my car (stock height)...
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1343455812

Need I comment on Boxster height?

TuxedoCartman 10-02-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchlanez (Post 472493)
Not sure if being sarcastic or just trolling? :iono:

Agreed. I can only shake my head in disbelief when people complain about how high this car sits. I mean, what the hell were they driving before this?!

"Dude, the FR-S sucks balls. Now my last ride... a '96 Toboggan I had when I was eight... THAT was a cherry ride yo!"

Skyhound 10-02-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naikaidriver (Post 472103)
Especially when they poke fun at American's obsession with accelerating quickly in a straight line for a few seconds and when they do want to turn, it must be to the left or they'll crash.

Sounds like someone missed the episode where the boys go to America to try the Cadillac STS, Chevrolet Corvette, and Dodge Challenger. Jezza and May loved the Corvette and STS when they finally got to do some mountain passes and considered them even better than European supercars. Jezza was particular happy that the Corvette had a proper manual gearbox and not everyone else's flappy paddles. Even May got in the spirit when he overtook Clarkson. xD Though the Challenger was definitely your regular old American Muscle Car.

I really do prefer Clarkson's way of reviewing, it's fun to read and keeps me engaged. Though I have no idea what he's on about in knocking the FRS in looks. I guess he must mean compared to the Genesis coupe that looks like some sort of spaceship, which makes sense since he loves crazy styling.

LSxJunkie 10-02-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyhound (Post 472626)
Sounds like someone missed the episode where the boys go to America to try the Cadillac STS, Chevrolet Corvette, and Dodge Challenger. Jezza and May loved the Corvette and STS when they finally got to do some mountain passes and considered them even better than European supercars. Jezza was particular happy that the Corvette had a proper manual gearbox and not everyone else's flappy paddles. Even May got in the spirit when he overtook Clarkson. xD Though the Challenger was definitely your regular old American Muscle Car.

I really do prefer Clarkson's way of reviewing, it's fun to read and keeps me engaged. Though I have no idea what he's on about in knocking the FRS in looks. I guess he must mean compared to the Genesis coupe that looks like some sort of spaceship, which makes sense since he loves crazy styling.

CTS-V. The STS was a soft midsize sedan.

Mobius357 10-02-2012 05:30 PM

As has been said, the front fenders help you place your tires on the road, likely not seeing the rest of the hood. I like the look too, gives the impression of a cobra, headlights reinforce that too I think.

It's good to see Clarkson enjoyed the car so much. Of all the various reviewers, I like the top gear holigans the most. For them, it's all about the fun factor. England must be full of exotic cars though, if these don't stand out. Seems like everywhere I go, I'm getting stared at.

nashsnazzy 10-02-2012 05:55 PM

+1 for the fender bulges. I love them and they remind of a LOT of the Cayman I drove a few months before I picked this car up. It really is all about how much fun you can have, at least for me. I used to love my 99 MX-5 for the same reasons I love this car. You could get the back to step out and you felt like superstar when you drove the car. Feeling good when you drive is really the best part of driving to me. Speed, time, everything else is secondary.

Its taken a long time to find a car that I enjoyed as much as my 99 Mx-5. I just hope that other manufacturers take a long hard look at this car's success, the MX-5's success back in the day, and bring us more truly FUN cars to choose from. I pray they don't bring us a bunch of me too cars that are FWD, styled by committee, and covered in superficial ornaments.

coyote 10-02-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxJunkie (Post 472639)
CTS-V. The STS was a soft midsize sedan.

Both evolved from the Holden Commodore though, didn't they?

SubieNate 10-02-2012 06:24 PM

The one they had in the episode was the CTS-V.

I don't think the CTS or the STS were based off of Holdens.

The only Holden based cars I know of are the GTO, the G8, the Camaro, and the upcoming Chevy sport sedan.

Nathan

yormaX 10-02-2012 06:34 PM

Thank You soo much for spacing out the wall of text! It is easier to read for the eye! :D

I'm a huge fan of Top Gear, this made my day!