follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Demandred7's Firestorm FR-S

I have just signed the paperwork on my Firestorm FR-S. This is my first chance to put some thoughts down about the whole experience. I had requested test drives at 3 of the local Scion dealerships. I know it sounds like sacrilege, but, I had requested an automatic; firstly because I absolutely suck at driving stick and secondly because of the odd occasion where I have consumed a few too many drinks and require my wife to drive (who also can't drive stick to save her life either).

I received an email from Guelph Scion saying that they have one on the lot on Wednesday. Unfortunately, I was in the middle of staining the deck and I had thought that I had missed the opportunity to drive it as apparently the FR-S has been flying off the lot within hours of becoming available. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was still available on Thursday. From the beginning, both my "Scion Champion" (who was was very good to have put a sold sign on it as soon as I expressed an interest in following it through and appreciating the car for what it is) and Finance Manager (who also owns a Raven FR-S with sweet looking Five Axis low profile spoiler) were welcoming and enthusiastic about the vehicle.

First impressions were even better than I had ever anticipated (and I had some pretty lofty expectations). I was skeptical of the transmission after my experience with my current car (Corolla XRS), which would always switch into 4th regardless of what gear it should be in and switches gears only after it thinks about it. By comparison the FR-S, is so immediate and even the feel of both the traditional shifter as well as the paddle shifters have a real solid feel to them. The chassis is pleasantly firm and for anyone who says that 200 hp is not enough - what do you expect for the price point. Furthermore, from what I have heard, if you are that hungry for power - just wait - TRD will have something for you soon enough (along with all the accessories that you may be craving). Everyone knows the back seat is best for temporary use only, but, it is possible to put a car seat in the back (as I later found out (my wife and I tried it (although a booster seat would work far better)).

The next day I brought my wife to get a chance to test drive it too. What was the clincher was the better than expected trade-in value they were willing to give me for my Corolla. I wasn't originally planning on getting Firestorm, but, I have to say that it looks far better in person and not under fluorescent lights. Also, the prospect of waiting for about 3 months to get another colour really did not appeal to me (plus I like how the red seat inserts match the exterior colour). An unexpected perk was that the insurance is actually cheaper than on my Corolla.

So, now I have to wait till Monday after work to pick it up. At which time I will try to put up some pics (Tuesday at the latest).

Last edited by Demandred7; 08-11-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Demandred7 For This Useful Post:
Slartibartfast (08-13-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Nice... Glad to hear you found the FR-S which works for you... Firestorm FTW!

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
Demandred7

First photo post

First photo post. Had to find work around since original file was beyond the forum's size limitations. Hopefully it looks half decent.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
Demandred7

Okay, it has been way too long since my last post. I have to say that I love the attention that I get with this car. I have done absolutely nothing to the car yet and it is amazing the amount of complete strangers that strike up conversations me. Even when I drive around, people seem to be checking the car out. Most don't have a clue as to what it is. Those that know it is a Toyota, have asked if it is the new Supra.
With respect to my friends that know what it is, they question the practicality of such a vehicle, I tell them that they should drive one and come to the same realization that I did - I was tired of my car being an appliance and this car has brought back the fun of driving. I long for a longer commute and look for errands to run.
Ironically, I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of what this car can do. Turns that I used to have to slow down for are now completely effortless at those original speeds and I find myself pushing harder than I ever thought possible.
Okay, sometimes things that used to be easy, have a whole new challenge to them and most of them have to do with space or how low to the ground it is. Drive through windows now seem to tower over the car and some items are just too big for the trunk. Nevertheless, I will gladly take these shortcomings in exchange for the benefits that I gain.
I love driving again.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,131 Times in 1,195 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I hear you about the appliance thing (what I'm currently driving now) after several fun cars in a row I needed something practical...but the FRS will fix all that soon enough
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
Demandred7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
I hear you about the appliance thing (what I'm currently driving now) after several fun cars in a row I needed something practical...but the FRS will fix all that soon enough
Nothing wrong with practical. All of us have been there. My wife and I have both extremes. Our other vehicle is a Toyota Sienna SE (aka the "swagger wagon").
Old 08-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Demandred7

Some better pics

Finally was able to get some better pics with an actual camera. Had to still do a little work around to get them down to an acceptable size. Tinting is booked for next monday. Going with 35% all around with the thought that the minor tint from the factory will most likely land it around 31% or so. Also with the thought that it shouldn't be an issue with the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police (for those that don't live in Ontario or Canada for that matter)) and it should also retain decent nighttime visibility.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Looks sweet! Hopefully the fuzz won't ding me for my tint. I've had 20% for the sides and 5% for the rear, on my last 4 cars. Never been an issue.

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
Demandred7

Problem is that in Ontario, there is no percentage that is the defining line of too much tint (wish there was), the Officer (as far as I know) has his or her own discretion on what is too much (which is why I never argue with or be overly friendly with the so called "fuzz"). I tried to find what the limit is, but, could find no mention of it other than the above discretionary powers. Perhaps one of the forum's other members is more educated on the topic.
I had been toying with going to 30 percent all around and with the factory "hint of tint" might bring it down to 26 or so (again I am no expert (I have had only one car with tint and I bought it pre-owned with tint)). I am still open minded about it and welcome anyone to chime in (bearing in mind the factors of police and nighttime visibility).
Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #10
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto

Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I find night time visibility better with tint. Especially the 5% at the rear. It shades the lights of people behind you. I never need to flip the rearview mirror down, and I can still see what's behind me. When you do flip the mirror down (in cars without tint) it's so dark you can't see what's behind you at all.
The tint on the side windows helps when turning out of a parking lot. The oncoming traffic isn't blinding.
30% will still look great on that red!

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
Demandred7

That 5% extra is tempting. Still on the fence though.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Demandred7 For This Useful Post:
ApoNono (11-13-2012), GT86_PRAGUE (01-14-2015), HotLeopardMama (05-10-2013), JD213 (01-13-2013), Wolfking (08-30-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
Demandred7

I have been also contemplating (read "waffling") between going to a shorty antenna or going to the shark fin. As many others have done so far, I have opted for the Beat Sonic shark fin. To my eye, it has a more upscale look. I will take some more pics once it comes in, but, I am not sure when that will be as I just ordered it about an hour ago. Unfortunately, I missed out on the Group Buy, but to justify it to myself (and my wife), I am calling it an early birthday present.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Demandred7

Just dropped the car off for tinting. I had thought to go with 35 and I said that when I booked the appointment, but, I was still on the fence about it. Just got a call from the tint shop asking like Regis Philbin, is 35 your final answer (He had originally asked if I wanted to go to 30). After talking it through with him and some feedback from Slartibartfast I said "alright let's go for it". I think a lot of the change of heart was based on not wanting pay for it and then feel it wasn't dark enough. I am still a little paranoid about unwanted police attention, but, the gentleman said there isn't a huge difference between 30 and 35 until the cumulative effect of all the windows kicks in and that you can still see through to the other side of the car. Plus the consensus was that the Firestorm red would look better with the 30. I am excited to see the results of both the darkness and presumably quality workmanship. Hopefully it stops raining so I can snap some pics.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Demandred7

The results

Well, here are the results. They are dark (at least on a cloudy and rainy day). Need some sun to let them cure and to see how they look with more intense light. My first impressions are that I like the look that it takes on with this level of tint; although, I wouldn't go any darker. This car already attracts a lot of attention - I just don't want it to be the police. I think 30 definitely affords quite a bit of privacy. I will be able to observe some night time driving tonight.
Attached Images