follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #1
Face_Plant

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood

I am considering this Seibon carbon fiber hood for my 2015 FR-S. I am planning to go FI in the near future, so I want a hood that will vent excess heat out of the engine bay, but before purchasing it I have a few questions:

1. This car is my daily diver and pretty much everywhere I park/drive is uncovered. I am concerned about the louvers letting leaves, rain, and other foreign material into the engine bay. The main thing I'm worried about is water getting in and causing electrical issues or corrosion. Should I be concerned, or is this not an issue?

2. I've read that hood pins are highly recommended, but I'm hesitant to cut up my brand new $1,000 hood. With my luck I'll fuck it up and have to buy a another one. 95% of the driving I do is below 65 MPH. I don't track/autocross my car at all and the stuff I've read makes it sound like pins are only really necessary if you're driving above highway speeds. Should I still get them?

3. If I get the hood, should I install my 86 Speed hood struts or leave them in the garage to collect dust?
Face_Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I have it. I am surrounded by leaves and trees, etc. I haven't notified a difference in the amount of gunk under the hood.

I am also fi, but haven't tested heat or any thing. I got it for the same reason. I didn't like it before but after fi started liking it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #3
Thunder86

Drives: 2018 Toyota 86 GT trim (Thunder)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had a Seibon CF hood on my first car. Here is some words of wisdom:

1. You will need hood pins (preferably locking ones). If you don’t want hood pins, you’ll need to spend money to properly replace the D ring that goes into the hood latch, as the ones they tend to come with crack and you’ll have a hood in your windshield.

2. You will need to get it clear coated. It will look shiny for maybe half a year, then proceed to look like garbage if you don’t get it professionally “recleared”.

3. Water will get in the engine bay. Some hoods come with a thin fiberglass dish that goes beneath the vents to prevent water from getting where you don’t want it.

Basically, unless you REALLY want a CF hood, I would not do it, especially if your car is not garaged. If you really want the look and purpose of a vented hood, install some louvers in your stock hood (e.g. Verus louvers).
Old 05-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Also I don't have hood pins or anything specifial. They recommend it themselves, but do they sell hood pins? Maybe they want more money lol. It acts the same as a hood and locks into the hood ring/latch. Locks pretty snug and tight.

We had some of the worst rains I've experienced here in like 20 years and I had this hood on and not garaged, lol. Car runs absolutely the same as before and the water doesn't seem to hurt anything. It drains into a so so good area, but also kinda scary cause wiring is everywhere. But no issues that came from the hood.

I am moving soon where my car actually fits in the garage so that will handle that. One day I'll compare the heat if I can figure out an easy method.

Id get it just for the looks. Only issue is they recommend you get it clear coated for best results, so more monies.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk