follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-19-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
TRDMAN

Drives: 08 Tacoma TRD OFFROAD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mazda Mx-5

I hear these cars handle amazingly well. I kinda like the new hardtop convertibles too. what are your thoughts?
TRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
they do handle VERY well. just go watch any local autocross and you'll see stock miatas with decent tires running circles around many of the high power cars.
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
the newer miatas come with stupid suspension from the factory. a little too soft and vague until it settles. its still a great car but with minor suspension mods it really turns into one of the last real drivers cars at a realistic prics
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I think they're great. Presently I'm in my 2nd Miata. I don't track my car but it is a well balanced, fun car to drive. Because I'm not especially interested in convertibles the FT looks like it could be my next car.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The Miata is one of the best drivers cars of all time. No self-respecting sports car enthusiast can be granted access to sports car heaven until they own a Miata.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
FT-86GOD
Senior Rocket Bunny

Drives: 1982 XX KE70
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I took my mothers MX-5 out for a drive, think its a 2002 model and honestly i could not get the rear end to step out in the dry... They grip so well its ridiculous.... I see them as nothing but a chick car personally due to the size, shape and boot space... I know a few will dis-agree but ur in denial!!!!! Seeing 2 grown men in a MX-5 is double triple gay... Maybe it could be modified to look tough but stock + 2 men = Batty boys.....

They are fantastic cars though but i would hate to be in an accident with one... There tiny..... The FT-86 wont be much bigger but they are not a bubble shape like the MX nor are they a soft top..... And the FT looks tough.....

All said i would have a ball driving one on a track especially in the wet........
FT-86GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT-86GOD View Post
I took my mothers MX-5 out for a drive, think its a 2002 model and honestly i could not get the rear end to step out in the dry... They grip so well its ridiculous.... I see them as nothing but a chick car personally due to the size, shape and boot space... I know a few will dis-agree but ur in denial!!!!! Seeing 2 grown men in a MX-5 is double triple gay... Maybe it could be modified to look tough but stock + 2 men = Batty boys.....

They are fantastic cars though but i would hate to be in an accident with one... There tiny..... The FT-86 wont be much bigger but they are not a bubble shape like the MX nor are they a soft top..... And the FT looks tough.....

All said i would have a ball driving one on a track especially in the wet........
They've got V8 conversions for them if that floats your boat...

http://www.monstermiata.com/

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
Mouse

Drives: Miata
Quote:

1. I think you are the one in denial.
2. You weren't driving it hard enough to get the back end out.
3. I totaled my first miata and came out without a scratch, miatas are actually really good when it comes to accidents.
4. The miata got most of its' looks from the original Lotus Elan.
5. "the FT looks tough", who gives a shit...Since when has that made a car?
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
FT-86GOD
Senior Rocket Bunny

Drives: 1982 XX KE70
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
1. I think you are the one in denial.
2. You weren't driving it hard enough to get the back end out.
3. I totaled my first miata and came out without a scratch, miatas are actually really good when it comes to accidents.
4. The miata got most of its' looks from the original Lotus Elan.
5. "the FT looks tough", who gives a shit...Since when has that made a car?
Hahaha i wasnt driving it hard enough... Wash the sand outta ur vagina... I think alot of us "give a shit" about what the FT looks like, and it doesnt make the car but it completes it.... And u may have come out without a scratch but i doubt it was from a collision with a SUV or 4WD...... And i aint in denial at all, i love the MX-5.... Maybe u should put the top down, go for drive and run some air through ur hair.....
FT-86GOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #10
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

This makes you look like a homophobe. A car doesn't define what sexuality you are or are not. Mazda/Matsuda sports car get that so called "girly" reputation from their muscular body design, lesser hp, and smaller size. If a car isn't your style its one thing, or if you don't like smaller engines, fine. Just don't spew nonsense and crap because you don't "get" the car.

And also size has less to do with safety than design. SUVs aren't inherently safe because they are big and heavy, if anything the opposite is true. They are more expensive than most cars and tend to carry families so they get more attention to "safety."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
Mouse

Drives: Miata
Quote:
Hahaha i wasnt driving it hard enough... Wash the sand outta ur vagina... I think alot of us "give a shit" about what the FT looks like, and it doesnt make the car but it completes it.... And u may have come out without a scratch but i doubt it was from a collision with a SUV or 4WD...... And i aint in denial at all, i love the MX-5.... Maybe u should put the top down, go for drive and run some air through ur hair.....
Actually it was with a Cadillac CTS and I always have the top down.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Personally, I'm not fond of the Miata/MX-5. I am well aware that they are one the best starter track cars out there. I'm just not fond of convertibles. And, the few that I sat in I couldn't get the seat far enough back from the wheel and pedals to not feel all crammed into it. Nothing will turn me off from a car faster than having to contort into a pretzel just to drive the bloody thing. I guess I'm just too tall for it.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
This makes you look like a homophobe.

Such a 'merican thing to be so completely insecure with your sexuality as to be socially pressured into buying huge irrational beasts that are totally wasteful. Have some confidence in your desires and ignore the devolved immature idiots. The Miata is a great sports car, period.

There was a time where owning a car with sexy feminine curves was the thing to do because it expressed love and emotion. It's amusing that this forum is attracting typical immature muscle car owners when the FR-S concept is very flowing and sexy. There will be plenty of retards that rag on the FR-S because it's "small" and "wimpy". The FR-S has more in common with the Miata than most other cars, yet few seem to have the balls to accept this.

I for one love the fact the FR-S is a coupe' version of the Miata philosophy. If it were bigger, heavier, and more powerful then we'd have another GT car like a Z, which I'm not interested in buying.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #14
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
I bought mine because it fit what I was looking for in a car at the time (fun, RWD, manual, convertible, decent on gas) and I could afford it. I've come to love the way it handles and how easy and inexpensive it is to work on. It doesn't have enough power to get me in trouble, but still manages to be a blast to drive just about anywhere.

Over time, though, I've found that I really only liked the convertible at night. Arizona summers are brutal, and don't make for ideal top-down driving conditions during most of the year. This, coupled with the desire for a bit more power and safety, is what drew me to the FT-86.

As for gay comments, well, they made it very easy to determine how much time I spent talking with someone about the Miata. If it were ever mentioned seriously in conversation, I'd almost feel sorry for them. Can't really prove them wrong, I'm sure folks of differing sexualities also enjoy the Miata, maybe for the same reasons, maybe not.
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote