follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2023, 09:33 AM   #1
series.trackday

Drives: '17 Subaru BRZ series.Yellow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Removing rear knuckle while rotor/caliper is still on - possible?

I was servicing the rear brakes and sheared the upper bolt on the caliper off. If I'm being honest, it surprised the crap outta me, because I was NOT exerting a lot of force to do it - single hand on the wrench, not even a breaker bar. There was significant rust between the threads and the bracket. I'm not sure how a 5/6 year old car has this much corrosion.

Now I need to remove the caliper and knuckle as a single unit to get at the backside of the caliper to try to remove the sheared bolt. I've got it hanging by the upper control arm and the lower camber arm, but, the problem is:

With the caliper attached to the knuckle, I can't get the rotor off. With the rotor on, there's no easy access to the parking brake assembly. With no easy access to the parking brake assembly, I can't remove the parking brake cable. without being able to remove the parking brake cable, I can't actually move the knuckle+caliper assembly to a place I can work on it to remove the sheared-off bolt.

Any ideas? Anyone run into this issue before, how did you solve it?
series.trackday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 01:55 PM   #2
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Disconnect the parking brake cable. It is up in the driveshaft tunnel.
Old 06-26-2023, 02:56 PM   #3
series.trackday

Drives: '17 Subaru BRZ series.Yellow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Disconnect the parking brake cable. It is up in the driveshaft tunnel.
I thought about that. Thank goodness this isn't a German-style "Y" parking brake, but that's still something like 8 underbody bolts holding the clips on. I was hoping someone had a secret for getting the cable detached from the parking brake assembly without removing the rotor, or something...
series.trackday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 03:30 PM   #4
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,327 Times in 7,384 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by series.trackday View Post
I thought about that. Thank goodness this isn't a German-style "Y" parking brake, but that's still something like 8 underbody bolts holding the clips on. I was hoping someone had a secret for getting the cable detached from the parking brake assembly without removing the rotor, or something...
No luck. It is a pain to get off when the rotor isn't in the way.