follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2022, 06:04 AM   #1
Racing007
2022 BRZ

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smashed 2022 BRZ

Hi Guys,

I crashed my brand new 2022 BRZ (only 1 week old).

I was on the race track and hence have no insurance. I am in the hole big time and am desperately trying to locate a wreck or some well priced parts.

I need the following:

1. Full Front fascia
2. Bonnet
3. Fenders / Guards (left and right)
4. Radiator support
5. Radiator condenser
6. Doors (left and right)
7. Headlights (left and right). I am in Australia so the regulations are different.

Would appreciate it if anyone could assist.
Attached Images

Racing007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:29 AM   #2
series.trackday

Drives: '17 Subaru BRZ series.Yellow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
No track insurance and no gap insurance on a brand new car, which you promptly crashed on track? I hope you learn a valuable lesson, because it's going to cost a lot of $.
series.trackday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to series.trackday For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (07-28-2022), Jdmjunkie (07-24-2022), joemysterio (07-24-2022), PulsarBeeerz (07-24-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 10:34 AM   #3
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by series.trackday View Post
No track insurance and no gap insurance on a brand new car, which you promptly crashed on track? I hope you learn a valuable lesson, because it's going to cost a lot of $.
Gap insurance wouldn't cover a track incident, so not sure why that's even being brought up.

You've got a point on track insurance, but slightly wrong. The point of any insurance is to have someone else cover the risk of damage to keep yourself whole. But they do it at a cost as well. If you're well enough off to self-insure, it's not the terrible no-good horrible thing everyone makes it out to be. But that carries certain risks as well.

My first BRZ was totalled 4 months after purchase. I declined gap insurance. I also financed 2/3's of the purchase, but maintained the full purchase price in my savings. When it was totalled, I repeated the deal, lost $10k in depreciation, but had plenty in savings to cover the new vehicle cost, but financed 2/3's again. I've had the replacement now for 8 years. So gap insurance the second time around would've been a waste. But one doesn't know it's needed until it's needed!

In my case, I was comfortable with the level of risk of self financing the loss of the vehicle. That doesn't mean I wanted to lose it, only that I was financially prepared for it.

Track insurance should be viewed as the same thing. If you're willing to decline it, do you have the means to walk away and/or replace the vehicle with minimal financial impact?

Also important is whether the track you're at requires accident cleanup costs to be the responsibility of the person that caused the accident. Those alone can easily total dozens of thousands. Again, maybe not a problem for some, but something that each individual must take an honest assessment of their level of risk. It's not always so cut-n-dried!

I'll keep an eye out for parts, though given the newness of the car, it's going to be tough to find a lot of those no matter what.
Dadhawk (07-25-2022), NoHaveMSG (07-24-2022), Spuds (07-30-2022), Tcoat (07-25-2022), timurrrr (07-24-2022), villainous_frx (07-30-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #4
Rcode

Drives: Ford Fiesta ST, 2022 Subaru BRZ
Sorry to hear about that, I was involved in an accident a few months ago with mine. Unfortunately, you may have some trouble finding the radiator, as of the moment they are backordered until August 28th in the U.S. I dropped my car off for repairs in June and likely won't see it until September.

Aftermarket options might work, but the part number for the radiator is different from the last generation car, and the body shop does not want to find out if the former aftermarket kits still fit. I haven't had luck with junk yards yet either. If I hear about any date changes, I can update though.
Rcode is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rcode For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-24-2022), Spuds (07-30-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 09:48 PM   #5
austintampa

Drives: honda element
We're not asking the important question here:

is there video of this?

most people who track drive their cars use a gopro or something to show how they are driving well.
austintampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:47 AM   #6
Varelco

Drives: '15 GT86 & '22 GR86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Pretty sure the guy came on here for help from the community and not to be ridiculed, I imagine he is feeling pretty upset as it is.
Varelco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Varelco For This Useful Post:
ACT86 (07-26-2022), alphasaur (07-25-2022), Dadhawk (07-25-2022), DarkSunrise (07-25-2022), Desertnate (07-25-2022), DocWalt (07-28-2022), JD001 (07-26-2022), juenedgi (07-30-2022), pope (07-26-2022), Rustyoid (07-25-2022), Spuds (07-30-2022), Tcoat (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 07:57 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varelco View Post
Pretty sure the guy came on here for help from the community and not to be ridiculed, I imagine he is feeling pretty upset as it is.
Exactly ^

Tracked cars get smashed up sometimes. It is the very top risk of the sport and not something to be ridiculed just because the car was new.

It is fun that so many on here are all "You don't even track so what do you know" but then as soon as somebody crashes then it is "you shouldn't track unless you can afford it".

Soundman summed the reality up nicely. Tracking is an expensive hobby. You blow out a shoe while playing badminton you buy new shoes and there is no court cleanup fees or extra costs. You smash up your car then it is going to cost you in several directions. Especially bad if it is also your daily and now you can't get to work!
alphasaur (07-25-2022), Dadhawk (07-25-2022), JD001 (07-26-2022), soundman98 (07-26-2022), villainous_frx (07-30-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 08:40 AM   #8
series.trackday

Drives: '17 Subaru BRZ series.Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Gap insurance wouldn't cover a track incident, so not sure why that's even being brought up.

You've got a point on track insurance, but slightly wrong...
What are you on about? Gap insurance covers the cost difference of what's owned on the vehicle vs. what your comp/coll insurance will cover in the event that the vehicle is damaged beyond repair, totaled. Track insurance covers damage to yourself, your vehicle, or the track facilities, in the event of an incident at a track. Track insurance plus gap insurance makes a track incident, even in a car directly from the dealer's lot, a nuisance, but not a financial wash. Why are you even bringing up self-coverage? It's pretty obvious from OP's statement - "I was on the race track and hence have no insurance. I am in the hole big time and am desperately trying to locate a wreck or some well priced parts" - that they do not have the kind of cash involved in self-coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
...Tracked cars get smashed up sometimes. It is the very top risk of the sport and not something to be ridiculed just because the car was new.

It is fun that so many on here are all "You don't even track so what do you know" but then as soon as somebody crashes then it is "you shouldn't track unless you can afford it"...
Yes, it's very true that motorsports in inherently dangerous. Competition motorsports, vastly more so. I wouldn't say wrecking a car is the top risk of the sport. The top risk of the sport is dying horribly in a crash, unable to escape, as you're burned to death from lack of fire extinguishing equipment in the car. Probably.

Ergo, it is just common sense to make sure that an indecent at the track won't be ruinous.

If a car is vital to your work/life and you don't have a backup, you SHOULD only take your car to the track if you can afford it, and the safety precautions (track insurance and/or huge repair bill) that go along with replacing/fixing it.

I waited to move from autocross to HPDE until I could afford not just the entry fee, but a hotel nearby the track so I would be well-rested, and track insurance, so I wouldn't be in financial difficulty if I crashed. Later, when I had a brand-new car I wanted to track, I had gap insurance, track insurance, and even AAA to tow a potential wreck home so I wouldn't be screwed if I had an incident at the track. I've been practicing what I'm preaching.
series.trackday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to series.trackday For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 09:04 AM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by series.trackday View Post
What are you on about? Gap insurance covers the cost difference of what's owned on the vehicle vs. what your comp/coll insurance will cover in the event that the vehicle is damaged beyond repair, totaled. Track insurance covers damage to yourself, your vehicle, or the track facilities, in the event of an incident at a track. Track insurance plus gap insurance makes a track incident, even in a car directly from the dealer's lot, a nuisance, but not a financial wash. Why are you even bringing up self-coverage? It's pretty obvious from OP's statement - "I was on the race track and hence have no insurance. I am in the hole big time and am desperately trying to locate a wreck or some well priced parts" - that they do not have the kind of cash involved in self-coverage.

Yes, it's very true that motorsports in inherently dangerous. Competition motorsports, vastly more so. I wouldn't say wrecking a car is the top risk of the sport. The top risk of the sport is dying horribly in a crash, unable to escape, as you're burned to death from lack of fire extinguishing equipment in the car. Probably.

Ergo, it is just common sense to make sure that an indecent at the track won't be ruinous.

If a car is vital to your work/life and you don't have a backup, you SHOULD only take your car to the track if you can afford it, and the safety precautions (track insurance and/or huge repair bill) that go along with replacing/fixing it.

I waited to move from autocross to HPDE until I could afford not just the entry fee, but a hotel nearby the track so I would be well-rested, and track insurance, so I wouldn't be in financial difficulty if I crashed. Later, when I had a brand-new car I wanted to track, I had gap insurance, track insurance, and even AAA to tow a potential wreck home so I wouldn't be screwed if I had an incident at the track. I've been practicing what I'm preaching.
I said top risk as in most common incident not worst risk as in the most horrific result.
Gap insurance is almost guaranteed to be nonapplicable to a track accident. It will be right in the fine print.
All in all I don't think anybody has said that track insurance is a bad idea just that each individual should know if it is needed by them. Back when I did track you can bet I spent the little bit to have insurance. Never had to use it but I bet my times would have been a hell of a lot slower without it since I would have been worried every second I was driving.
soundman98 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 12:51 PM   #10
Xed32

Drives: '22 brz Sport-Tech
Damn. Good luck man. Scary. My fear as well since there appears to be no such thing as track insurance in Canada ( unless you are insuring a large race team). If anyone knows otherwise please do share ( don't ask your insurance company as they will most likely drop you and your entire family if you even ask about it).
Xed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xed32 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 01:19 PM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xed32 View Post
Damn. Good luck man. Scary. My fear as well since there appears to be no such thing as track insurance in Canada ( unless you are insuring a large race team). If anyone knows otherwise please do share ( don't ask your insurance company as they will most likely drop you and your entire family if you even ask about it).
I saw this and thought "no way"!
There used to be about 10 places that offered it in Ontario. You could sign up for it right at many tracks. Started at about $50 a day and went up as far as $500 all depending on how much coverage you wanted. Now, this was the mid 90s so we are talking almost 30 years ago at this point. A quick search (I didn't deep dive) shows that there really is nothing out there now! If there is it is very hidden.

soundman98 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 01:29 PM   #12
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Damage does not look that bad, just a bitch waiting for parts given supply constraints.

Open Track has many Canadian tracks covered.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Code Monkey For This Useful Post:
Midnightsky (07-28-2022), soundman98 (07-26-2022), Tcoat (07-25-2022), Ultramaroon (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 01:44 PM   #13
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Damage does not look that bad, just a bitch waiting for parts given supply constraints.

Open Track has many Canadian tracks covered.
Never thought to check US companies!
Old 07-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #14
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,522 Times in 18,923 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
That's bizarre! Glad someone is stepping up for you all. The value of this thread has doubled with that info.