follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #1
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
GSpeed Gas Pedal Kits

We've got a few gas pedal kits sitting on the shelf, and I thought I'd take this opportunity to answer a few questions we've been getting about them lately.

What does this do?

It moves the gas pedal closer to the driver by almost an inch, and slightly closer to the brake pedal. This makes for a more comfortable heel-toe movement for aggressive downshifting.

What's the difference between this and a pedal cover?

Pedal covers, while great, don't do anything to move the gas pedal itself. They often provide extensions off the side to aid in heel-toe downshifting, but the offset between the pedal heights remains.

Can't I just adjust my brake pedal height?

Technically yes, but nowhere near enough to make a difference. You've got less than half an inch of adjustment (in pedal position) before the brake lights would be constantly engaged. That factory adjustment is meant to be used in master cylinder installation and adjustment, not for pedal position.

How hard is it to install?

Extremely easy. It can be done in under fifteen minutes with a 10mm ratchet. Installation instructions can be found here.

If you're interested in picking one up, feel free to check out our store here. I know there's a few members here running them, and we'd love to get more feedback.

Thanks,

Jake
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GSpeed For This Useful Post:
Jonsey (09-26-2016), kravi (09-26-2016), Racecomp Engineering (09-26-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 07:19 AM   #2
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I like what it does but that price is insane.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #3
GSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
I like what it does but that price is insane.
I understand, but I think you'd be surprised how low our margins are on these things. Designing and making parts locally for a niche market is surprisingly expensive. If we knew we'd sell 1000 of these, they'd be much cheaper. As it is, we have to get them made in runs of 25 or so.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Garage
Geez, did you guys design it to be as expensive as possible?
Why is it all pocketed out? That's over half of your machine time right there. You could keep it light by just switching to a polymer instead of pocketed aluminum.
I don't see a good reason why it cannot be a solid rectangular piece of plastic with 4 holes and 2 studs pressed in.

I understand It's a niche product, but making it simpler would make it much cheaper without affecting its performance.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
GSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Geez, did you guys design it to be as expensive as possible?
Why is it all pocketed out? That's over half of your machine time right there. You could keep it light by just switching to a polymer instead of pocketed aluminum.
I don't see a good reason why it cannot be a solid rectangular piece of plastic with 4 holes and 2 studs pressed in.

I understand It's a niche product, but making it simpler would make it much cheaper without affecting its performance.
Pockets actually don't add much machine time. We have a good relationship with our machine shop and routinely go back and forth to get things as cheap as possible. These pockets are added to an existing setup and add a minute or two.

Sure, we could have made it out of plastic, and saved a few bucks on materials, but it's just that. A few bucks. 1" x 6" x 6" of 6061-T6 is $35 on McMaster, and a 1" x 6" x 6" piece of Delrin is $25. Of course, our machine shop has better material sources than McMaster, but for the sake of illustration, you're talking about MAYBE $5 of savings per part for a material that's much weaker and more likely to break over time. Sure, plastic will machine a little faster, but again, that's a marginal improvement.

This part also isn't anodized or laser etched, which saves a little bit of money off the bottom line. That's a new policy we have, that we anodize and laser etch everything now, but we're going to leave this part as-is instead of raising prices.

Our rationale (for most everything we make, not just this) is that since our quantities dictate higher prices to recover design time, we might as well make it high enough quality to justify the price. Parts like this also have to help pay for the Solidworks licenses, utilities, salaries, basically everything involved in getting this from an idea onto customers' cars.

Hope that makes sense. We don't want to be perceived as taking the community for a ride, we place a lot of value on community input for these sorts of things.

Jake
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GSpeed For This Useful Post:
Pat (12-10-2016), Toyarzee (10-14-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpeed View Post
Pockets actually don't add much machine time. We have a good relationship with our machine shop and routinely go back and forth to get things as cheap as possible. These pockets are added to an existing setup and add a minute or two.

Sure, we could have made it out of plastic, and saved a few bucks on materials, but it's just that. A few bucks. 1" x 6" x 6" of 6061-T6 is $35 on McMaster, and a 1" x 6" x 6" piece of Delrin is $25. Of course, our machine shop has better material sources than McMaster, but for the sake of illustration, you're talking about MAYBE $5 of savings per part for a material that's much weaker and more likely to break over time. Sure, plastic will machine a little faster, but again, that's a marginal improvement.

This part also isn't anodized or laser etched, which saves a little bit of money off the bottom line. That's a new policy we have, that we anodize and laser etch everything now, but we're going to leave this part as-is instead of raising prices.

Our rationale (for most everything we make, not just this) is that since our quantities dictate higher prices to recover design time, we might as well make it high enough quality to justify the price. Parts like this also have to help pay for the Solidworks licenses, utilities, salaries, basically everything involved in getting this from an idea onto customers' cars.

Hope that makes sense. We don't want to be perceived as taking the community for a ride, we place a lot of value on community input for these sorts of things.

Jake
Thanks for the clarification! I didn't mean to come off saying you're doing a bad design job, or taking customers for a ride. It makes sense most of your cost is overhead with the quantities you're moving.

-Josh
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
GSpeed (09-27-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I prefer rolling the ankle and catching the pedal with the right side of my foot. This should make a huge difference with being able to maintain consistent brake pressure.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deep Six For This Useful Post:
Jonsey (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
Jonsey

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
It is a very nice kit, I really enjoy that everything feels natural now and I no longer have to consciously think about where my feet should be.
GSpeed (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #9
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Delrin does fine in bearing suspension bushings, I would be worried about it breaking behind a gas pedal.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #10
GSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Delrin does fine in bearing suspension bushings, I would be worried about it breaking behind a gas pedal.
The pedal mount itself is aluminum, the only acetal part is the stop under the pedal. It's totally in compression under the gas pedal, and it's about 1" thick, at the narrowest point. I will personally pay for a replacement if one snaps under "normal" use. Not gonna happen.

Jake
Old 11-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #11
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpeed View Post
The pedal mount itself is aluminum, the only acetal part is the stop under the pedal. It's totally in compression under the gas pedal, and it's about 1" thick, at the narrowest point. I will personally pay for a replacement if one snaps under "normal" use. Not gonna happen.

Jake
I'm anxious to try this out. Just ordered one after discovering that there were others in the universe that felt the exact same way about their BRZ's pedal location
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joesurf79 For This Useful Post:
GSpeed (11-22-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 07:11 AM   #12
Bramick

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited M/T
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesurf79 View Post
I'm anxious to try this out. Just ordered one after discovering that there were others in the universe that felt the exact same way about their BRZ's pedal location
I'm very happy with mine. When I first installed it it felt weird because my muscle memory was so engrained. After some use it's second nature. I pretty much forgot I installed it because it's so normal feeling now.
GSpeed (12-06-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:49 PM   #13
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
It is a very nice kit, I really enjoy that everything feels natural now and I no longer have to consciously think about where my feet should be.
Having run two track events now with the kit installed, I can say I echo Jonesy's sentiment. Pedal /spacing just feel like they should. No more conscious thought devoted to hunting for the gas pedal when blipping to downshift!
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joesurf79 For This Useful Post:
GSpeed (12-15-2016)