follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2020, 02:06 PM   #15
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Sorry just trying to help.
But seriously this is not by any means "excessive play". It's normal. In fact the FR-S has one of the tightest shifters on the market. At least the OEM shifter does. I don't know about these aftermarket short shifters. I mean really....the stock shift throw is not short enough for you? To me it's kinda like buying an aftermarket CAI. What the stock intake isn't cold enough for you?
But anyway, if you really want as little play in the shifter as possible maybe you should have something like this machined for you.
radroach's video is not normal. Pretty sure that is what the OP is talking about. Look how much play he has when in gear.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #16
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Enough play at its resting position I'm usually just banging gears, which at 130,000 miles any way that I can get into the next gear change efficiently is good enough until I probably get a new transmission. I can "aim" it to slide it into gear nicely but thats rare. There's enough play that I can almost miss entirely.

If a $20 rubber boot bushing and some alignment tweaks is all it takes then that would be awesome. Still can't get my console apart by myself lol.

Last edited by radroach; 06-16-2020 at 05:03 PM.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:00 PM   #17
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
Its enough play that I have to "aim" it to slide it into gear nicely. There's enough play that I can almost miss entirely. At its resting position I'm usually just banging gears, which at 130,000 miles any way that I can get into the next gear change efficiently is good enough until I probably get a new transmission.
Have you checked the rear shifter bushing that bolts to the underside of the chassis. I wonder if they damaged it trying to get the transmission out without undoing the shifter.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #18
radroach

@NoHaveMSG I have the perrin rear shift-stop bushing and it was installed a couple years later after my clutch install. It's been like that since a shop did the clutch install ~2015. The perrin shift stop did help make shifts a lot crisper.
Old 06-16-2020, 05:38 PM   #19
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
@NoHaveMSG I have the perrin rear shift-stop bushing and it was installed a couple years later after my clutch install. It's been like that since a shop did the clutch install ~2015. The perrin shift stop did help make shifts a lot crisper.
Interesting. I couldn't imagine what would cause shifting issues internally that would not have other symptoms. Have you inspected the linkage arm for damage?
Old 06-16-2020, 06:26 PM   #20
radroach

@NoHaveMSG no I'm hardly ever under the car but I will get it looked at a shop soon when I get my new transmission mount and a bunch of diff / subframe whiteline goods installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to radroach For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 08:00 PM   #21
ScratchMB
Banned

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Sorry just trying to help.
But seriously this is not by any means "excessive play". It's normal. In fact the FR-S has one of the tightest shifters on the market. At least the OEM shifter does. I don't know about these aftermarket short shifters. I mean really....the stock shift throw is not short enough for you? To me it's kinda like buying an aftermarket CAI. What the stock intake isn't cold enough for you?
But anyway, if you really want as little play in the shifter as possible maybe you should have something like this machined for you.
I was thinking about having a gated shifter made or probably buy one or something, I figured that would kind of solve it, but I feel like it might cause some issues if the play in the shifter is moving and the shifter itself isn’t.
ScratchMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #22
radroach

@ScratchMB would be fun to test a 3d printer for this!
Old 06-16-2020, 10:34 PM   #23
ScratchMB
Banned

There’s my sloppy ass shifter, I seriously can’t stand how bad it is, it’s insane
The Following User Says Thank You to ScratchMB For This Useful Post:
Opie (06-17-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 11:00 PM   #24
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchMB View Post

There’s my sloppy ass shifter, I seriously can’t stand how bad it is, it’s insane
I honestly think its pretty normal. What car did you own before this that makes the 86 trans feel loose?
Old 06-16-2020, 11:47 PM   #25
Bready

Drives: Scion FR-S RS2.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScratchMB View Post

In your video, the bottom of your shifter isn't properly connected. You need to push the pin all the way through and put the clip on.

Edit: Also, it's near impossible to tell from a video, but make sure the white plastic collar is snapped onto the metal ball portion. When the assembly was properly snapped in place, and you push your shift lever down, there should have been a 'click' as it seats properly. Hard to describe.

Last edited by Bready; 06-17-2020 at 12:00 AM.
Bready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:44 AM   #26
ScratchMB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bready View Post
In your video, the bottom of your shifter isn't properly connected. You need to push the pin all the way through and put the clip on.

Edit: Also, it's near impossible to tell from a video, but make sure the white plastic collar is snapped onto the metal ball portion. When the assembly was properly snapped in place, and you push your shift lever down, there should have been a 'click' as it seats properly. Hard to describe.
In the video I was showing that it’s not from the shifter, I know the pin isn’t in cause I took it out to see if the play was from the rod from the tranny obviously I know that shit, the cotter pin isn’t even in, do you think I’d really drive with it taken out like c’mon man.
And yes the washer is on it too, and yes the ball part is in place.
It’s not the shifter is what I was showing, I just had the shift rod connected somewhat just to demonstrate how much play there is.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:01 AM   #27
ScratchMB
Banned

Angry

So I’m just straight up ignoring to stupid comments like, “oh you should get an automatic lol” “oh your rods not connected” “oh your boot is taken off”
No fucking shit I’m trying to trickle down the line of possibilities, clearly people have no fucking clue what they’re talking about on here, and kudos to you for trying to help, but it’s seriously aggravating when people just “try to help” and don’t have a solution or an experience with the same thing or anything related to the topic.
Topic manual shifter has slop in it.
Solution minimize or get rid of slop completely.

Forum poster logic.
Well if you don’t have a car you don’t have shifter slop.
Well no fucking shit you genius, why don’t you take your phat brain of yours to NASA if you have such great ideas on this shit.

The picture below is what the shifter connects to, the part with the blue circle, that is where the slop in the shifter appears to be coming from.
Which was demonstrated in my video before, hence why I had the cotter pin and washer taken off.
I would like to know if anyone has dropped their tranny and fixed the linkage, or bushings or whatever is there, and removed the slop.
I’ve dropped my tranny before, and changed my clutch out (And no before some dumb fuck comments, well you dropped your tranny so that’s why it’s broken) when I say dropped it implies dismounted it and taken it out not actually slammed it to the floor.
I have experience in this shit, I just didn’t get around to inspecting that particular part when I had the chance, and I have no reason to drop my tranny at this time.
Can someone who has, or will, drop their tranny and inspected that part and even trued replacing shit for it please let me know the results.

I wanna know if the slop can be fixed by replacing those bushings in the BLUE circled part of the diagram.

Thank you for your replies to the some of you who aren’t morons, you know who you are.
Thumbs up to you guys.
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2020, 01:17 AM   #28
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Why the hostility? I've seen one person trolling so far but the rest have been pretty helpful from what I can see. I understand the frustration but screaming at everyone who is trying to help is the best way to dissuade other people from helping you.

Paging @Tcoat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-18-2020)