follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #29
Chamaco

Drives: Silver FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing...
I'm considering header wrapping but it seems like the best way to quickly destroy a header...
Btw, what do you think of your ACE350 header? Worth the $$$?
Have you had the chance to compare to something else?

I'm currently running a OFH Header and enjoy the added power but expected a bit more against a gutted stocked header tbh...
Had nothing to compare it to aside of the OEM header with the cat removed. For me is worth it since I want a supercharger in the future plus for what I've read, is the one that produces the best power band in the mid range. Mine did 191whp (pump 93) with a re-flash which is basically what every other (chepaer) name brand produces (give or take) after tuning it, but the mid range is where the magic happens.
Chamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:09 PM   #30
Interflop

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Out of curiosity, is the sound you're experiencing similar to what I've encountered on my setup? I made a thread about it with no response yet.

Check it out here.
Interflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #31
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Drives: 13 BRZ, Galaxy Blue Silica
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I've got an OFH and OFT Tune mated to a full Perrin, catted, 2.5 inch Headerback (from when perrin used to make a catted front pipe). It is a glorious sound. My friend had the same setup, but catless, and 3 inch. He liked mine better since the cat helps pull some of the harshness out of the exhaust note. For a very gentlemanly setup, I replaced the OEM catted front pipe to tone it down even more.
Perrin Headerback, OFH, OFT, Ohlins R&T MI20, 17x9 Weds TC105N, Hankook RS4 (235/40), TOM's JDM Tails, PCV AOS, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Trans. Mount, Whiteline Shift Bushing, SS brake Lines, Hawk DTC60, Bayson R Lip Kit, LED Lighting , Smoked JDM Sidemarkers, Rear Fog Enable, Carsmo Armrest, Grimmspeed Plate Relocater
φφκα
Cjymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:54 AM   #32
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
My car sounds like the bestest twin in the world.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
SuperTom (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 03:20 AM   #33
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
On this car? Yes. IMO

OTOH a stock header and front pipe with an open exhaust are some of the better sounding 86's.

Even with a factory catback, or perhaps especially with it, no cats sound like you're using a empty can of corned beef for a muffler. With the factory header-back it's barely louder than stock.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:45 AM   #34
Wil

Drives: Drives like a crab.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interflop View Post
Out of curiosity, is the sound you're experiencing similar to what I've encountered on my setup? I made a thread about it with no response yet.

Check it out here.
Yes! Closer to that. My car, the sound is a bit more muffled
But it's not rasp (I've experienced rasp and nothing says "rice" better than it) like you have on decel.

I agree a simple muffler delete sounds the best but it's hard to go back to a car with a massive torque dip.
They're planning on offering E85 in Belgium this year so I'll wait and see.

I'm currently leaning toward a solution like this one:
https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/header-armor
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:38 AM   #35
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamaco View Post
that sound happened to me right after installing my Ace 350. It had me going crazy looking for leaks and didn't find any. Then I started looking in the web and read (don't remember where) somewhere that is the sound of the valves "clapping". You could hear them now because of the thin wall of the stainless header and since is a boxer engine with the header pointing down (close to the road) it creates a louder (echo) sound similar to an exhaust leak. Some when on saying that wrapping the header mitigates the sounds, but not completely though. After reading that, I just live with it at this point.
My ace header made a weird sound similar to an exhaust leak. After driving around a few months troubleshooting to no avail. I took off the skid plate and could see where it was rubbing. It looks to have a good 1” gap betweena hesder and skid plate so i thought it was fine, but under load the engine rocks so much it rubs and the sound/frequency sounds almost similar to an exhaust leak. Hammered down the skid plate. No more sound. No “valve clapping” “exhaust leak” no weird concerning noises. Just good clean exhaust tones. Pretty sure every ace header needs this done, and several other aftermarket headers as well.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #36
Chamaco

Drives: Silver FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
My ace header made a weird sound similar to an exhaust leak. After driving around a few months troubleshooting to no avail. I took off the skid plate and could see where it was rubbing. It looks to have a good 1” gap betweena hesder and skid plate so i thought it was fine, but under load the engine rocks so much it rubs and the sound/frequency sounds almost similar to an exhaust leak. Hammered down the skid plate. No more sound. No “valve clapping” “exhaust leak” no weird concerning noises. Just good clean exhaust tones. Pretty sure every ace header needs this done, and several other aftermarket headers as well.
Hammered mine since day 1 after reading that it touched the skid plate under load and it still makes the "clapping" noise to this day after 2 years of use. doesn't bother me no more though. it's only really noticeable just under load and when I'm right beside a (for example) concrete barrier where the noise bounce back. if it's idling, is smooth sound free.
Chamaco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chamaco For This Useful Post:
wparsons (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #37
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
With a big enough leak they all sound like shit
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
Decep (02-14-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 12:28 PM   #38
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Start at the front of the car (Header to block) and work your way back tightening. Have you actually got under the car with it running and the skid plate removed and used your hand to check for air?
Old 02-14-2020, 02:37 PM   #39
deca

Drives: Halo 860
Good to see other people mentioning the clapping sound or whatever you want to call it, that had me stressed out after my install thinking I had a leak somewhere. Checked multiple times and found nothing, and yeah it's only super pronounced when the right side of the car is against something bouncing the sound back to the cabin.
deca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #40
Spocknasty

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 1990 Turbo Miata
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was getting driven nuts by what I thought was an exhaust leak - I even changed from Borla to Tomei UEL headers and heat wrapped them to try and cut down the noise. That "exhaust leak" / "valve tapping" sound just seems inherent with the setup.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:05 PM   #41
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Could be because the header and overpipe meet on the passenger side more or less
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #42
Wil

Drives: Drives like a crab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocknasty View Post
I was getting driven nuts by what I thought was an exhaust leak - I even changed from Borla to Tomei UEL headers and heat wrapped them to try and cut down the noise. That "exhaust leak" / "valve tapping" sound just seems inherent with the setup.
Kind of seems hopeless...
It's worse when the car is cold. At low speed, low RPM, under load (not too much load) the sound is very embarrassing.

If I remember well, a gutted stock header would do the same. But can't remember if the shield would affect that.

Well, I guess a conservative supercharger setup is the way to go... Too bad, I kind of liked the bru' UEL after all...
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote