follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2014, 09:25 AM   #295
BRZPDX
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Ive heard good things about the Vis AMS hood with figment, and the come with rain guards.

SUV's: Mercedes Benz R500 '06, Mercedes Benz ML350 '12
BRZPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #296
86viper

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well i am on the cusp of ordering my FBM kit.

Here is the heat related bits i plan to get

FBM Oil Cooler
FBM Rad + Spal Fans + Shroud
Heat Wrap & Blanket
Ceramic coating for the manifold
FBM Cast oil pan

Car will not be tracked, but will be driven reasonably hard on the street.

Turbo will be the GTX2867r @ 10-11psi on e85

Think this will be enough to combat the heat?
86viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #297
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86viper View Post

FBM Oil Cooler
Heat Wrap & Blanket
FBM Cast oil pan

Yes.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
86viper (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #298
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I would say you're good to go with this list, but I would add moving your radiator forward when you do the turbo kit install. It's easiest then because the front end will already be off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86viper View Post

FBM Oil Cooler
Heat Wrap & Blanket
FBM Cast oil pan

mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike the snake For This Useful Post:
86viper (05-19-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 12:01 AM   #299
The Racers Line

Drives: FRS, Supra, Colorado D, GLC63
Thanked 1,515 Times in 532 Posts
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I forgot to mention this, but I finally went and took a ride in @mike the snake 's car last week. We drove around for a bit and did a couple pulls and then went back to his house.

What made it interesting, was, as we sat and chatted while the car idled, I could feel an enormous amount of heat being pushed by the fans out from UNDER the car. And I mean a TON of hot hair. Why? Becuause of the huge hole that he cut in the belly pan with the "gurney flaps". It is definitely a big help with the heat. And even after the pulls, I could instantly put my hand on the intake pipe and hold it there.(Gold foil)

Just thought I'd share. Im going FI this week and it is definitely something I will be doing along with a few other things
The Racers Line is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Racers Line For This Useful Post:
blackfireball5 (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 12:29 AM   #300
BRZPDX
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiebTech Performance View Post
I forgot to mention this, but I finally went and took a ride in @mike the snake 's car last week. We drove around for a bit and did a couple pulls and then went back to his house.

What made it interesting, was, as we sat and chatted while the car idled, I could feel an enormous amount of heat being pushed by the fans out from UNDER the car. And I mean a TON of hot hair. Why? Becuause of the huge hole that he cut in the belly pan with the "gurney flaps". It is definitely a big help with the heat. And even after the pulls, I could instantly put my hand on the intake pipe and hold it there.(Gold foil)

Just thought I'd share. Im going FI this week and it is definitely something I will be doing along with a few other things
can we get a pic of this? I already put a hole where the dump pipe is. I can certain put more holes in them. I have a spacer on the metal under tray as well since the headers were hitting them.

SUV's: Mercedes Benz R500 '06, Mercedes Benz ML350 '12
BRZPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:33 AM   #301
mike the snake

Check out post 284 in this thread for pics of the hole I cut in the skidplate and the rubber trip strips I installed.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:42 AM   #302

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoth View Post
Hoping somebody will make a skid plate like this for our cars.

GrimSpeed are you there ;-)
@GrimmSpeed please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VOLK LE37 17X7.5, SWIFT Springs, Bilstein B8, HKS intake duct, Cosworth Air Filter, HKS headers, PLM Over Pipe, EVS Down Pipe & Exhaust, FD 4.55, GFB pulleys, Axle-Exchange Drive Shaft, Mishimoto oil cooler, Cusco F&R strut bar, TRD door stabilizer, Innovate SC, Delicious Tuned
8686 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8686 For This Useful Post:
blackfireball5 (05-21-2014), SirBrass (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 12:44 AM   #303
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoth View Post
Hoping somebody will make a skid plate like this for our cars.

GrimSpeed are you there ;-)
Not a bad idea at all!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #304
AllDayJonRay

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Check out post 284 in this thread for pics of the hole I cut in the skidplate and the rubber trip strips I installed.
This looks like it will create a nice low pressure zone under the oil pan and really help move air from the engine bay at speed. Nice work.

I'm curious what costs, if any, there are in disrupting the underbody aero.

'13 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S || K&N Drop-In, SpeedFactory V1 Cat-Back || Moto-East tuned

Join the 86 Owners Clan on Clash of Clans: "86 Owners" Password: "fa20" || Help us take over the world || Thread
AllDayJonRay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllDayJonRay For This Useful Post:
blackfireball5 (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #305
mike the snake

Thanks! I think it is very effective.

Ultimately, you don't want your hot engine air exiting out under the car, but that only comes into play at very high speeds.

Optimal would have the air exiting out through a very large, properly designed vent/s in the hood.

So far, the FB radiator, Spal fans, and shroud have proven very effective. My coolant temps are rock solid at 200-205 regardless of load. Most of this IMO is due to the fans and shroud though.

This still may not be enough for track duty.

When installing aftermarket radiators, the stock air dams/ducting that direct air through the stock radiator is removed, leaving a LOT of space around and above the radiator where air goes around and above instead of through the radiator.

I think that careful installation of foam and material around the radiator, which would force ALL the air through the radiator, might just be enough to handle track conditions (along with adequate exhausting of the engine bay).

I asked one person who races their FRS, and they installed a HUGE radiator, ducting, and also use a vented hood to deal with racing/track heat.

For us, another critical point is to move the radiator forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDayJonRay View Post
This looks like it will create a nice low pressure zone under the oil pan and really help move air from the engine bay at speed. Nice work.

I'm curious what costs, if any, there are in disrupting the underbody aero.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #306
AllDayJonRay

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
....When installing aftermarket radiators, the stock air dams/ducting that direct air through the stock radiator is removed, leaving a LOT of space around and above the radiator where air goes around and above instead of through the radiator.

I think that careful installation of foam and material around the radiator, which would force ALL the air through the radiator, might just be enough to handle track conditions (along with adequate exhausting of the engine bay). ....
^^This. It seems that a lot of people think that simply upgrading to a new larger radiator core is going to solve cooling issues. If the radiator upgrade requires removal of dams/ducting, it should hardly be considered an upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised if moving from a properly ducted stock radiator to a non-ducted aftermarket radiator actually hurts cooling performance.

It really does require a significant high pressure area to push as much air as is necessary through the core at speed. If there is any free flowing path around the core (i.e.- removed ducting), this high pressure area isn't created, and sufficient air through the core will not occur.

I'm not surprised that big name companies such a Koyo are providing only a core with no regards for directing airflow, etc.. But I am a bit surprised that companies that are dedicated to providing comprehensive modifications/solutions for this platform (i.e.- FullBlown, etc.) are willing to sell kits that don't stand on their own to solve cooling concerns (or increase cooling capacity), without need of the customer finishing the research & development to implement an effective cooling upgrade. Unless I am wrong about the loss of ducting. A question for those with any of these upgraded radiator cores: Are you able to retain the factory's air damming/ducting designs?

'13 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S || K&N Drop-In, SpeedFactory V1 Cat-Back || Moto-East tuned

Join the 86 Owners Clan on Clash of Clans: "86 Owners" Password: "fa20" || Help us take over the world || Thread
Old 05-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #307
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
It's not that these kits don't include the proper ducting (foam used on AVO's track car can be purchased for pennies on the dollar) it's that they don't have a note or warning to those upgrades, stating that any upgraded radiator will need new ducting.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:57 PM   #308
AllDayJonRay

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
It's not that these kits don't include the proper ducting (foam used on AVO's track car can be purchased for pennies on the dollar) it's that they don't have a note or warning to those upgrades, stating that any upgraded radiator will need new ducting.
Exactly. One or the other should be expected...