follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-28-2020, 02:50 AM   #1
Outlander

Drives: 2013 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Power Stop Street Warrior Z26 Drilled and Slotted Brake Kit

Hi just wondering if any one else has installed theses Power Stop Street Warrior Z26 Drilled and Slotted Front and Rear Brake Kit with Calipers.

Was hoping for some feedback. I don't plan on using in competition racing. But, do they responded well, does the powder coat last. Do they fit perfectly? Or are there some hiccups during install. Any photos would be awesome.
Outlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:23 AM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Brakes are really last thing on any car i'd wish to compromise. Even if you don't plan ever participate in any performance driving, even during daily driving with much more uncontrollable/unpredictable variables/situations, braking is important enough for eg. crash avoidance.
In this case it looks like stockish floating type caliper that is painted, paired with drilled & slotted disks & pad, from less known manufacturer. It won't net you any improvement in most brake functions, reduction in some, and won't even improve looks of your brakes much (my guess out of thin air, that your probable goals are "sporty" (whatever that means by your taste, possibly something "like in movies") "big" brake kit for paying as little as possible, which also might be not what you'll get, with those OE design floating calipers & possibly not clearing stock wheels, so budget rised by need to buy wheels aswell
From googling up on this kit, i'm not even sure this kit is this car specific, which also may introduce fitting issues & dangerously change brake bias compromising brake main functionality.

If want spend less, google on painting stock calipers. Will net almost same look. And while i'd advise against using slotted/drilled calipers, which will only increase brake pad wear and reduce resiliency against cracking, would choose rotors for same OE brakes, of known quality vendor, eg. Stoptech / DBA / Brembo or from alikes, that offer OE sized slotted ones.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Outlander (06-20-2020), wparsons (02-28-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 11:29 PM   #3
Outlander

So after some review, I did end up getting this brake kit for my 2013 FR-S. So I figured I would share my thoughts on them so far. They are a perfect fit, which makes sense since they are OEM brakes that have been remanufactured and powder coated. The quality of the calipers is as expected no improvement over OEM brake calipers since they are the same. But as mine needed to be replaced I have no problems with that. I understand that drilled rotors are not race quality, but they do have some advantages over OEM style rotors. So is this kit an upgrade, no. Are they well produced and fit, yes. So far no problems, but I will update the forum if I see any.
Old 06-21-2020, 12:24 AM   #4
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander View Post
I understand that drilled rotors are not race quality, but they do have some advantages over OEM style rotors.
Would you care to list those advantages?

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My calipers on my 2005 Acura MDX were frozen, used this kit to replace. Work great as a n Oem alternative. No increase in performance other than new brakes vs 15 year old brakes. Worth doing on a normal DD car and affordable. After core refund it was $270 for the fronts. Not bad considering rotors and pads alone are like $180.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:46 PM   #6
Outlander

I wouldn't want to try and explain and butcher it so, here are a few websites that explain differences.

https://www.brembo.com/en/company/ne...led-or-slotted

https://www.frictionmaster.com/blog/...-brake-rotors/
Old 06-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #7
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Outlander: in my eyes it's:
1) you won't need any mentioned gain for slotted/drilled rotors for daily driven car (but pads will wear faster and blank rotors cost less)
2) for track less susceptible for cracking blank rotors benefit imho outweigh mentioned gains .. and for track crowd with much increased rate of wear of tires/pads/rotors will multiply savings on blanks manyfold
3) MAIN gain for drilled/slotted is most beneficial for prehistoric materials brake pads that dissipated lot of gas under heat. Not an issue with most modern pads.
As i pay myself all car bills, imho paying for something that costs more and lasts less is unwise. Looks change alone is not sufficient (for me). For everybody it's own car and own money so everybody can do according own subjective preferences, i just can advise against. If you enjoy yours, good, that's only thing that matters.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (06-23-2020), Outlander (06-21-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 10:32 AM   #8
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Outlander: in my eyes it's:
1) you won't need any mentioned gain for slotted/drilled rotors for daily driven car (but pads will wear faster and blank rotors cost less)
2) for track less susceptible for cracking blank rotors benefit imho outweigh mentioned gains .. and for track crowd with much increased rate of wear of tires/pads/rotors will multiply savings on blanks manyfold
3) MAIN gain for drilled/slotted is most beneficial for prehistoric materials brake pads that dissipated lot of gas under heat. Not an issue with most modern pads.
As i pay myself all car bills, imho paying for something that costs more and lasts less is unwise. Looks change alone is not sufficient (for me). For everybody it's own car and own money so everybody can do according own subjective preferences, i just can advise against. If you enjoy yours, good, that's only thing that matters.
Totally agree but for my MDX, buying the parts separate was more money and the calipers would not be painted. So I have slotted drilled rotors on an SUV for no reason except it was cheaper. When the rotors go centric blanks go on. Have to admit the rotors with the kit are nice, though completely unnecessary.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
Outlander (06-22-2020)

Tags
frsbreaks