follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 05-19-2022, 01:33 PM   #1065
McMCOO
Anti-Social Media

Drives: 24 GR86 Premium MT is on the way!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Heretic!
McMCOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 02:00 PM   #1066
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
People gonna laugh at me on this one... I saw a Neptune Blue in a parking garage last night and something was bugging me about the color. I walked around the car for a solid 10 minutes and then finally pulled my Evo up next to it to try and figure out what the heck was off...

I don't like the color. At all. I realized that it feels like it doesn't have the depth that some of the other colors have. Maybe the car needed a wax? I don't know. It seemed clean enough. Soooo I just called my dealership and now I'm waiting on a Raven Black or Halo White instead.
The Neptune isn't a pearl so even when shiny will not give the depth of tone as the other colours that do have pearl coat.
Dadhawk (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 02:12 PM   #1067
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The "nonrefundable" deposit is just if a car is available and YOU back out of the deal. If they can't get one then it is refundable. I had to give a non refundable deposit when I ordered my Hakone and I had the same concern you stated. They explained the actual facts and I was fine with it.
I had a similar discussion on the tS. She said "You know you are committing to buying the car" and I said "au contraire.... you just committed to getting me one." That was followed up by an "oh shit" from the other end.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2020BRZtS For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 02:37 PM   #1068
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
The Neptune isn't a pearl so even when shiny will not give the depth of tone as the other colours that do have pearl coat.
I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't really care for "pearl" paints.

At least on my 350Z, even after a serious detail, paint polish, and wax, it just always looked dirty.
racingfool (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 04:48 PM   #1069
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
That explains it. Which ones are pearl or metallic then?

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:08 PM   #1070
RippedManiac
Jedi

Drives: Pikachu BRZ
Quote:
People gonna laugh at me on this one... I saw a Neptune Blue in a parking garage last night and something was bugging me about the color. I walked around the car for a solid 10 minutes and then finally pulled my Evo up next to it to try and figure out what the heck was off...

I don't like the color. At all. I realized that it feels like it doesn't have the depth that some of the other colors have. Maybe the car needed a wax? I don't know. It seemed clean enough. Soooo I just called my dealership and now I'm waiting on a Raven Black or Halo White instead.
Waiting for Yellow with Brembos
RippedManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:08 PM   #1071
Tcoat

Quote:
That explains it. Which ones are pearl or metallic then?
All the rest I believe.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:14 PM   #1072
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't really care for "pearl" paints.

At least on my 350Z, even after a serious detail, paint polish, and wax, it just always looked dirty.
Pearls are great on some colours and just don't work with others to me. Of course it is about as subjective as you can get though.

Darker blues, orange, green, and white all can be great in a pearl. Yellows, light blue, bright reds, tans do not usually benefit from it.

Never noticed a pearl looking dirty unless it actually was though. I have the opposite thought that non pearl never looks shinny no matter what you do to it.
Dadhawk (05-20-2022), DylanJZA (05-20-2022), Dzmitry (05-24-2022), OkieSnuffBox (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 01:52 AM   #1073
drivejumpfly

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysTakumi View Post
I hate that you've had to deal with all this mess. I'm curious as to your reasoning behind not going the BRZ direction?
I absolutely hate the look of the front bumper and I really like the GR86 bumper and overall setup differences.

Quote:

No, I am with you, but it may be the fact that I am a previous Evo and Ralliart owner. There is zero depth to that color in the photos so I did not expect any in person. The similar color on the C8 Corvette does nothing for me either. I'm not down with Smurf blue. I need depth in the paint color of a car I am paying markup for not just shock factor.
drivejumpfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drivejumpfly For This Useful Post:
DylanJZA (05-20-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 08:22 AM   #1074
racingfool

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejumpfly View Post
I absolutely hate the look of the BRZ front bumper
I agree, although in person they don't look so bad.
racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:10 AM   #1075
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Quote:
There is zero depth to that color in the photos so I did not expect any in person. The similar color on the C8 Corvette does nothing for me either. I'm not down with Smurf blue. I need depth in the paint color of a car I am paying markup for not just shock factor.
First, I have always loved smurf blue - in almost any car. Really loved it on the old S4 Avants - I lusted for that car and my wife thought I was nuts - she couldn't understand why I would love a smurf blue wagon.

I was also in love with the BRZ Hyper Blue. I love the fact that it is not pearl. Frankly, to me it looks way better than any other pearl color I have owned (coming from a WRB 2020 BRZ and before that a Monaco blue 2007 BMW 335i coupe). Don't hate pearl per se. And I love the Hakone from previous Gen and the Trueno/Sapphire from this Gen. But if anything, I love the Neptune more than I even thought I would. Oh, and not sure how much is the color or the second Gen, but I get way more comments (all positive) for the new one than I ever did for the WRB BRZ (still very skewed to the younger male, though).

And there is another benefit I have already (sadly) had to find out. Scratch touch-ups blend in WAY BETTER than they did on my WRB. They are so good they are almost - ALMOST - invisible.

And yes - I love the similar color on the new Corvettes. It is interesting, I don't believe I have ever seen a similar color blue in any kind of pearlescent finish (at least not that I am aware of). I have to assume it is because it must look terrible - but then you (and some others) would probably say it would be an improvement. And that's OK - different strokes and all.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:06 AM   #1076
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Pearls are great on some colours and just don't work with others to me. Of course it is about as subjective as you can get though.

Darker blues, orange, green, and white all can be great in a pearl. Yellows, light blue, bright reds, tans do not usually benefit from it.

Never noticed a pearl looking dirty unless it actually was though. I have the opposite thought that non pearl never looks shinny no matter what you do to it.
My Z was pearl white. I've just always loved straight, gloss white. Like my '88 300ZX in high school and my '13 Mustang GT.

Quote:
I absolutely hate the look of the front bumper and I really like the GR86 bumper and overall setup differences.
I do like the front bumper better and really like the blue as well. The setup differences don't really matter to me as I always planned on changing the suspension any way.

Hell, I just ordered my coilovers, RCLAs, rear sway links, and toe links and my '23 isn't going to be here for months still.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:56 PM   #1077
DylanJZA

Drives: GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Agreed entirely.
DylanJZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 07:37 PM   #1078
racingfool

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
don't believe I have ever seen a similar color blue in any kind of pearlescent finish
Boost Blue Pearl sounds interesting.

racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote