follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
Mr. Sparkle

Drives: Mr. Sparkle Detailing Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMtm View Post
I also got the "paint protection plan" and got it done -which was an add on
Is it same as getting opti coated or something similar?
Definitely not the same thing as Opti-Coat at all. Opti-Coat is like a hand applied layer of clear coat that is permanent. The dealer offers nothing like this. They have sealants similar to most over the counter stuff

Here is an MSN article discussing the dealer options to avoid. It specifically addresses the dealer paint protection option and essentially says its a goof

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...=476382&page=0

"Paint Sealant: This is another instance where the dealership hopes the car buyer will be gullible enough to believe that it’s using some special technique and material that’ll keep your car’s paint looking factory fresh, when it’s typically the same products found at any auto parts store. The best way to preserve your car’s finish is to wash and wax it regularly. Better yet, take the money you’d pay the dealer to “seal” your paint and instead spend it on the occasional professional detailing."

Opti-Coat is NOT found at any auto parts store and the professional version is only available to authorized installers

Also the dealer is not doing any paint correction, which is typically inherent in the cost of Opti-Coat application. So basically for the money you're spending you could probably find someone to make the paint perfect, and apply more durable protection
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #16
marky

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS #54
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
Definitely not the same thing as Opti-Coat at all. Opti-Coat is like a hand applied layer of clear coat that is permanent. The dealer offers nothing like this. They have sealants similar to most over the counter stuff

Here is an MSN article discussing the dealer options to avoid. It specifically addresses the dealer paint protection option and essentially says its a goof

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...=476382&page=0

"Paint Sealant: This is another instance where the dealership hopes the car buyer will be gullible enough to believe that it’s using some special technique and material that’ll keep your car’s paint looking factory fresh, when it’s typically the same products found at any auto parts store. The best way to preserve your car’s finish is to wash and wax it regularly. Better yet, take the money you’d pay the dealer to “seal” your paint and instead spend it on the occasional professional detailing."

Opti-Coat is NOT found at any auto parts store and the professional version is only available to authorized installers

Also the dealer is not doing any paint correction, which is typically inherent in the cost of Opti-Coat application. So basically for the money you're spending you could probably find someone to make the paint perfect, and apply more durable protection
I see thanks for that info....

Can I cancel my lux care add on? Was thinking of getting it done this week..
Call the dealer and tell them I don't want it?
They might say some BS that its part of the purchase but I have not got it done yet...

The dealer tinted my windows and it was 800$ add on..what a rip off..trying not to spend another 500$ on this lux care thing...

Thanks
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #17
kthxbai

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky View Post
Like 500+ for it.....

Anyone know if I can cancel it still? Have not taken my FRS to the dealer and get it done yet.. Now thinking about it seems like not worth it and I don't have time to go get it done when I can do it myself
Read the fine print on your luxe care warranty that you signed and look for a section on "cancellation of policy/warranty". There should be information either at the bottom or on the back. Most warranties/extra car care packages can be cancelled by the purchaser. In addition, certain states may have additional regulations that the company (not necessarily the dealer) or the purchaser must abide by.

In the midst of getting my dream car and being very hungry, my fiance and I agreed to purchase a paint repair warranty AND mechanical warranty. When we got home, we looked at the paperwork and almost had a panic attack as to why we agreed to purchase these extra warranties. However, the fine print regarding cancellation for the state of Florida stated we had up to 60 days to submit a letter requesting the cancellation of our warranty with a full refund less administration fee (~5%). In most cases you have up to 30 days from the original purchase date to cancel this warranty or policy. Just mailed our letter for cancellation the other day, so hope they will not give us too much trouble.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #18
marky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthxbai View Post
Read the fine print on your luxe care warranty that you signed and look for a section on "cancellation of policy/warranty". There should be information either at the bottom or on the back. Most warranties/extra car care packages can be cancelled by the purchaser. In addition, certain states may have additional regulations that the company (not necessarily the dealer) or the purchaser must abide by.

In the midst of getting my dream car and being very hungry, my fiance and I agreed to purchase a paint repair warranty AND mechanical warranty. When we got home, we looked at the paperwork and almost had a panic attack as to why we agreed to purchase these extra warranties. However, the fine print regarding cancellation for the state of Florida stated we had up to 60 days to submit a letter requesting the cancellation of our warranty with a full refund less administration fee (~5%). In most cases you have up to 30 days from the original purchase date to cancel this warranty or policy. Just mailed our letter for cancellation the other day, so hope they will not give us too much trouble.
thanks will look into it... yeah i was like brain dead after a while at the dealer..was hungry and was not myself and i was just signing papers blah blah blah i just want to go drive my car home and sleep
The Following User Says Thank You to marky For This Useful Post:
kthxbai (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #19
kthxbai

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I can totally agree!! Felt the same way, except I was too scared to drive the FR-S at first because I felt it was too good to be true. So I asked my fiance to drive the car to dinner and then home; we'll just say I didn't have to ask him twice
Old 01-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #20
marky

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthxbai View Post
I can totally agree!! Felt the same way, except I was too scared to drive the FR-S at first because I felt it was too good to be true. So I asked my fiance to drive the car to dinner and then home; we'll just say I didn't have to ask him twice
yeah i didnt even plan on getting the car yet just to look at it and i was like eh its the new years and birthday soon that day was not planned out.. still in shock i have it..now im in shock of this lux care rip off and the 800$ window tint from the dealer :mad0259... im slowly starting to see a bit out on the streets but still very limited..this car is selling like hot cakes.. dont last much at dealers..well i do see some but im sure its automatic not much wants it.. dealer has like 3/5 frs in stock and its auto..
The Following User Says Thank You to marky For This Useful Post:
kthxbai (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
Paul_S

Drives: red
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The only thing I EVER purchase from the dealer is the car itself and any OEM parts that aren't available elsewhere. $800.00 window tint....no way and demand a refund on the coating. Don't let them tell you it's rolled into the total purchase price.The squeaky wheel gets the grease as they say.
Paul_S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul_S For This Useful Post:
kthxbai (01-17-2013), marky (01-17-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #22
marky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
The only thing I EVER purchase from the dealer is the car itself and any OEM parts that aren't available elsewhere. $800.00 window tint....no way and demand a refund on the coating. Don't let them tell you it's rolled into the total purchase price.The squeaky wheel gets the grease as they say.
i have not got my clear coat thing done yet but i have a dumb copy of it and they called me to come in and get it done.. going to call them and cancel it..

what if they say you cant cancel it? i mean they have not even did the work on it.. man dealers sure like to suck every penny out people pockets.. guy called me yesterday day and how is my car doing and he was like hey if you know anyone wants to buy a car send them my way
Old 01-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #23
EBMCS03

Drives: Argento FR-S
U should be able to cancel it I hope.

Dealers are a business they / anyone in the same situation is set up to try and make the most profit.
EBMCS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EBMCS03 For This Useful Post:
marky (01-18-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #24
marky

Called the dealer and they say I can't cancel it that is part of the deal... Wtf ..!! They will charge me 530$ for something that has not been done to my car.. They are going to call me back and see if I can cancel it .. Lady was tell me that "oh you will have a nice clean car after years " yeah right after you slap me with a 800$ window tint..

They want to me to go and get it done asap so I can't for sure have it and can't cancel it and its a for sure done deal..
Old 01-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #25
marky

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBMCS03 View Post
U should be able to cancel it I hope.

Dealers are a business they / anyone in the same situation is set up to try and make the most profit.
Your right dealers sure trying to make every penny.. I gave them a good review too.. I'm waiting for a call back and see if I can cancel it due to one said no its a non cancel thing..
Old 01-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #26
EBMCS03

Drives: Argento FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by marky View Post
Your right dealers sure trying to make every penny.. I gave them a good review too.. I'm waiting for a call back and see if I can cancel it due to one said no its a non cancel thing..

Keep bugging them, Of course they'll try and tell you no first and if you accept then they make the money. If you keep insisting then they may eventually cave in and just refund you.

Look through the Luxo package paperwork and see if there is anything about cancellation.

But from all the cars my family has owned. We have never purchased these paint protection things. my mom's 2006 Mercedes the dealer threw it in for free and of all the cars we had the paint and durability... smoothness... wax lasting longest was in fact her Mercedes. No idea if the mid 2000 Mercedes just has better paint than anyone else or if it was really due to the paint protection. My sisters 2012 Mercedes does not have the paint protection and the paint does not feel as nice as my moms paint. so thats just my prior experience. No way to really know for sure
EBMCS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EBMCS03 For This Useful Post:
marky (01-19-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #27
marky

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBMCS03 View Post
Keep bugging them, Of course they'll try and tell you no first and if you accept then they make the money. If you keep insisting then they may eventually cave in and just refund you.

Look through the Luxo package paperwork and see if there is anything about cancellation.

But from all the cars my family has owned. We have never purchased these paint protection things. my mom's 2006 Mercedes the dealer threw it in for free and of all the cars we had the paint and durability... smoothness... wax lasting longest was in fact her Mercedes. No idea if the mid 2000 Mercedes just has better paint than anyone else or if it was really due to the paint protection. My sisters 2012 Mercedes does not have the paint protection and the paint does not feel as nice as my moms paint. so thats just my prior experience. No way to really know for sure
say in the back that
"cancellation - the limited warranty is non-cancelable"
im sure they mean as in after its been installed/worked on.. also says
"5 year limited warranty"

i take care of my car and i have no use for this lux care thing..