follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #1
Austontatious

Drives: 2016 FR-S manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re purposed jdm blower

Hoping not to get flamed...

What would it rake to mount a small mini supercharger (I'm told they are sometimes called a "smog pump") in the fr-s. Something like this (I'm not sure how long the link will work) http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...596219&alt=web

I am aware that this is a very small blower, but since the fr-s really can't take more than 8-9lbs of boost stock anyway, I thought it might be perfect
Austontatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
CFM and PSI are two different things. Think, volume vs. pressure. Imagine a bicycle tire at 30psi vs a car tire at 30psi, totally different volumes of air.
Everyone says 8-10psi because they are sized properly to match the engine. 8-10psi on properly sized blowers comes out to 260-300hp, which "300" is considered the "safe" limit.

That tiny blower will max out(efficiency wise[heat/powermade]) at low rpms when compared to a bigger blower because the volume(cfm) of air is much lower.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-10-2016), Luftwaffel (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
BRZSS

Drives: Hyper Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
No such thing as a bad question.
So no reason to get flamed.
Your biggest issue will be finding a way to mount that unit. Fabrication skills and all. You'll also need to figure out the sizing for the pulley to keep that blower in it's efficiency range. And what ever boost it produces in that range will be what you can get. Otherwise you over spin the unit and it becomes a giant heat pump pushing hot air more so. According to a site that gives some details on the AMR500 it has this to say:
Quote:
500cc/ revolution (30.5 cu.in.) With straight, 2 lobe rotors. It could be over-driven, and make good boost on a 650cc-1000cc drag bikes or larger if RPM is kept low. Or it could be under-driven for smaller engines.

On a 1000cc four stroke, with the blower being driven 1.5:1 with the crank, it would produce approximately 9.5 psi boost.

On a 1600cc VW engine, with the blower being driven 2.1:1 with the crank, it would produce approximately 5 psi, but the engine RPM must be limited to 8000 rpm.

Max blower continuous speed is 16,000 RPM Before this, these were only available in Japan!
This would be a great blower for any small engine up to 1200cc ( depending on RPM ).
Since we're a 2000 cc engine I could guesstimate on our FA20 motors we'd see about 2.5 to 3.5 psi on that blower at max rpm. It's just too small it can't flow enough CFM of air to keep up with what the engine needs.

At that point you're better off getting a Phantom Electric Supercharger and saving the hassle of engineering and fabricating mounting brackets, figuring out the belt size, and pulley size, as well as pipping and what not.

Not a bad idea, at least your thinking out of the box a bit. Sadly though it's just not very feasible, the time and effort to do it would net you very little reward. It just wouldn't be able to flow the air needed to make much boost. Its just too small.
BRZSS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZSS For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 04:52 AM   #4
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZSS View Post
No such thing as a bad question.
So no reason to get flamed.
Your biggest issue will be finding a way to mount that unit. Fabrication skills and all. You'll also need to figure out the sizing for the pulley to keep that blower in it's efficiency range. And what ever boost it produces in that range will be what you can get. Otherwise you over spin the unit and it becomes a giant heat pump pushing hot air more so. According to a site that gives some details on the AMR500 it has this to say:

Since we're a 2000 cc engine I could guesstimate on our FA20 motors we'd see about 2.5 to 3.5 psi on that blower at max rpm. It's just too small it can't flow enough CFM of air to keep up with what the engine needs.

At that point you're better off getting a Phantom Electric Supercharger and saving the hassle of engineering and fabricating mounting brackets, figuring out the belt size, and pulley size, as well as pipping and what not.

Not a bad idea, at least your thinking out of the box a bit. Sadly though it's just not very feasible, the time and effort to do it would net you very little reward. It just wouldn't be able to flow the air needed to make much boost. Its just too small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austontatious View Post
Hoping not to get flamed...

What would it rake to mount a small mini supercharger (I'm told they are sometimes called a "smog pump") in the fr-s. Something like this (I'm not sure how long the link will work) http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...596219&alt=web

I am aware that this is a very small blower, but since the fr-s really can't take more than 8-9lbs of boost stock anyway, I thought it might be perfect

I don't know where you got that "can't take more than 8-9 lbs of boost" number because it can take a tad bit more than that with no issue, in fact jrsc and others run 10-12 depending on pulley configuration although it requires better fueling and such.

Second the amount of fab work as @BRZSS said is quite intensive you'll need to figure out a correct pulley sizing as to not "overspin" the compressor but provide useful boost which will probably end up being much less than you think maybe 2-3 psi, then you have to find proper belt sizing and tension to get it to work with the current accessories. Even if you overlook the boost issue not being enough for the car, then you have to find the correct mounting solution that uses it's current piping setup and doesn't boost leak but can still use the factory intake setup the way those are usually mounted in VWs is unusual btw compared to our cars and it's gonna take some finagling to get it to fit in the front of the engine. Also lets not forget you need a good tune, you could probably barely squeak by with a phantom ESC OFT tune.

Let's be serious here at that point, where you've spent that much time and money on materials and the brain work and headache to do it, you could've gotten a phantom ESC or used innovate supercharger and slapped it on and gotten a tune for what it's worth. Answering your question:

Is it possible? Yes
Is it worth it? No
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
BRZSS (04-10-2016)