follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2021, 06:04 AM   #1
Hamza

Drives: Widebody 86/F56 Mini Cooper S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Coilover Loose/Play

Hey so I've been dialing and experimenting with different ride heights over the past few weeks and decided I was gonna almost drop the rear to max. Did the right side rear to about 1.2 cm left and went to do the left side. It was originally on 2.4 cm and while lowering as soon as it got to 1.4cmish it started to become loose and have some play (the lower you go it gets looser), so for now I put it to 1.5 cm (still a tiny bit loose) and just put the wheel back on and lowered the car.

Here's a short clip of what I mean:

Any ideas of what might be causing this? My first thought it maybe the top locking nut isn't tight enough but not entirely sure. I had a shop put the top nut cause I didn't have the right socket.

They are Tein Street Advance Z

Forgot to add, is there any harm in it having play or being loose? I would think it wouldn't matter much because the weight of the car would keep it stiff, but it's just odd it's happening to only one side.

Last edited by Hamza; 03-06-2021 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Forgot a bit
Hamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:04 PM   #2
ninjan00dles

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
Hey so I've been dialing and experimenting with different ride heights over the past few weeks and decided I was gonna almost drop the rear to max. Did the right side rear to about 1.2 cm left and went to do the left side. It was originally on 2.4 cm and while lowering as soon as it got to 1.4cmish it started to become loose and have some play (the lower you go it gets looser), so for now I put it to 1.5 cm (still a tiny bit loose) and just put the wheel back on and lowered the car.

Here's a short clip of what I mean:

Any ideas of what might be causing this? My first thought it maybe the top locking nut isn't tight enough but not entirely sure. I had a shop put the top nut cause I didn't have the right socket.

They are Tein Street Advance Z

Forgot to add, is there any harm in it having play or being loose? I would think it wouldn't matter much because the weight of the car would keep it stiff, but it's just odd it's happening to only one side.
You can adjust preload on that corner so it isn’t loose when unloaded. Shouldn’t make any difference except reduce rattle
ninjan00dles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #3
Hamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjan00dles View Post
You can adjust preload on that corner so it isn’t loose when unloaded. Shouldn’t make any difference except reduce rattle
These don't have adjustable pre-load. It's just the 2 perches to adjust height
Old 03-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #4
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
These don't have adjustable pre-load. It's just the 2 perches to adjust height
Preload and ride night are one in the same. Preload is when suspension is unloaded. Ride height is when loaded. Same adjustment nut just measured different. You are over adjusted. Put some preload back in. If you want to go lower you will need different springs.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #5
DougKelly20

Drives: Legacy 3.6R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Preload and ride night are one in the same. Preload is when suspension is unloaded. Ride height is when loaded. Same adjustment nut just measured different. You are over adjusted. Put some preload back in. If you want to go lower you will need different springs.
Not true. Pre-load is how much compression is on the spring before the suspension is loaded, ride height is how elongated the overall strut is. MOST coilovers have separate adjustments and if you don't know what you're doing you should not touch the pre-load.
DougKelly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #6
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
I'd word it differently. If one doesn't know what one's doing, better follow manual. Some coilovers may ship in state and their installation instructions may need setting first specific preload during installation. Not touching is not exactly best option in such case.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 02:42 AM   #7
MrSkubi

Drives: 17 BRZ ,21 GR Yaris, 23 GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Not touching is not exactly best option in such case.
Best coilover advice ever. Two things happened to me after doing this coilover rookie mistake myself: 1. Top hat camber bolts got loose and I got variable camber tophats 2. Preload adjusting collar somehow got loose and my passanger side started to make horrible clunking noise when hitting bigger bumps.
MrSkubi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrSkubi For This Useful Post:
Hamza (03-08-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 04:34 AM   #8
Hamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKelly20 View Post
Not true. Pre-load is how much compression is on the spring before the suspension is loaded, ride height is how elongated the overall strut is. MOST coilovers have separate adjustments and if you don't know what you're doing you should not touch the pre-load.
But again these don't have adjustable pre-load and I went lower on the other side with no play in the coil that's why im confused
Old 03-08-2021, 04:35 AM   #9
Hamza

Quote:
What do you mean by 'overadjusted'? Also the other side is lower with no play in the coil, I was just trying to match this side as that but this one started moving a bit before I even got to the same height.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #10
DougKelly20

Drives: Legacy 3.6R
If you mean that the spring is floating between the perches when unloaded this might be OK. I had lowering springs on my legacy where all 4 floated, granted not ideal... but I used them for a year before I switched to coils and they were "fine." (I was oversprung, but that had nothing to do with the float)

As for why you are lopsided my guess is a manufacturer defect. Did you buy them new? I'd call Tein.
DougKelly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:26 AM   #11
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Lots going on here.

1. Left and right differences are normal. Most cars do not weigh exactly the same for each side.

2. Your coilovers do have preload adjustment. The adjustable perch that the spring sits on adjusts preload. Preload also affects ride height.

3. You should pay attention to both preload and shock length when adjusting ride height. Preload for 1 set up may not work for every set up.

4. Many people and even many manufacturers simply do not understand spring preload. It's one of the most common coilover questions and it frequently gets many of the same wrong answers.

Read this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9J1M8Un..._web_copy_link
^That won't give you all the answers, but it will give an overview.

I would recommend at least following Tein's recommendations for preload.
Racecomp Engineering is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Grady (03-08-2021), Hamza (03-09-2021), Tcoat (03-08-2021), vintagemxer (03-18-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 12:56 PM   #12
Grady

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKelly20 View Post
Yes but preload will affect right height. Preload and ride hight window is designed into the spring.
Old 03-08-2021, 01:02 PM   #13
Grady

Garage
Quote:
What do you mean by 'overadjusted'? Also the other side is lower with no play in the coil, I was just trying to match this side as that but this one started moving a bit before I even got to the same height.
Racecomp nailed it.

Remember just because it said it is adjustable does not allow you to get any ride hight. The strut/springs were designed for a window of adjustment, sounds like you are trying to go lower then they were designed for.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:44 AM   #14
Hamza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Lots going on here.

1. Left and right differences are normal. Most cars do not weigh exactly the same for each side.

2. Your coilovers do have preload adjustment. The adjustable perch that the spring sits on adjusts preload. Preload also affects ride height.

3. You should pay attention to both preload and shock length when adjusting ride height. Preload for 1 set up may not work for every set up.

4. Many people and even many manufacturers simply do not understand spring preload. It's one of the most common coilover questions and it frequently gets many of the same wrong answers.

Read this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9J1M8Un..._web_copy_link
^That won't give you all the answers, but it will give an overview.

I would recommend at least following Tein's recommendations for preload.
Quote:
Racecomp nailed it.

Remember just because it said it is adjustable does not allow you to get any ride hight. The strut/springs were designed for a window of adjustment, sounds like you are trying to go lower then they were designed for.
The recommended adjustment for these coils from Tein was about the same as stock ride height, but the from the instructions manual the range went to a 3" drop. Right now I've only dropped 0.86" (this was coincidental lol) from stock ride height (taking it as 372mm from hub to fender and it's starting to have play.

The fronts said a 2.6" drop and I've bottomed the front out all the way and it's still way higher than 2.6", but regardless the fronts are still stiff.

My best guess now is still that the top locking nut on the strut isn't tight enough, kinda odd to tell because it's supposed to be hand tightened, and doing so every time I get scared of accidentally turning the dampening adjustment knob and breaking it (did that on the front). Can I tighten it with the strut still on the car with the car jacked up?