follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2016, 04:45 PM   #57
3nl

Drives: 2015 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2015 with 10k and nothing except for some rattling on the interior when it's cold (like -10F cold, it's WI).

The 15's suspension isn't exactly "refined" - if you are looking for a car with a comfortable ride, FR-S probably isn't the right answer.

The interior is loud as hell (no insulation), the suspension is stiff (compared to other production cars, not track cars), and you are super low. It's just like any other cheap sporty car. If you want "refined" and "sports car" together, it's going to cost you a hell of a lot more than $25k.

It's super fun, but if the fun you have in it doesn't outweigh the frustration of living with a sports car, you will hate it.
3nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #58
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Picked up my FR-S in June 2012.
32k miles.
Total of 6 weeks at the dealer for many minor issues.

Rear deck popping noise. Fixed my own.

S-SB-0023-12-Rev2 : Chirping Noise from High Pressure Fuel Pump

S-SB-0002-13 : Condensation in Rear Combination Lamp

S-TT-0043-12 (Not a TSB): Body panels that aren’t flush. Fixed my own. Takes only 1 minute. LINK to DIY.

Driver side door rubber piece deformed preventing the window to close all the way up.

Squeaky clutch. This is the one that took them the longest to fix.

I also have once in a while unstable idling rpm, squeaky windows, and rattling/popping rear seat latch (only happens in parking lot speed), which I'm planning to just leave as is. Clutch rattling noise is pretty noisy at idling after a transmission oil change too. It sounds like decades old tractor engine. But I hear this is normal and happening to other people as well.

Other than these, everything is perfect. It drives like brand new after 3.5 years. Zero annoying noise while driving (I'm very sensitive to those noise). If I go back to June 2012, I would still buy this car again even if I knew it would have this many minor issues. If the car is gone today, I will buy BRZ Limited.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
axelo (01-21-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 10:16 PM   #59
hello.

Drives: 16' Oceanic FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post

If you go for a test drive, let me know what you think about the passenger side C pillar blind-spot.

In the same vein, the car is no fun to back up because of the sloped back window and high deck. I believe new ones have a camera?
Just to expand on this point for the OP, yes the 2016's come with back-up cameras. It does help when backing up and such as rearward visibility is improved, but the blind spots are still kinda noticeable and the relatively low angle of the camera makes you definitely want to glance over the windows if possible. Still a good feature though.
hello. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hello. For This Useful Post:
axelo (01-21-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 11:02 PM   #60
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by axelo View Post
Whiteout '13 frs...off the dealer 2012...39xxx Having a blast... No problems except me bitting a trans hub bolt( changed spring, local shop lowered trans mount for a retap)... Occasional, but out of the nothing (like 1-3 times a year, the car would do the idle dip, but no change in car's performance, have a spare throwout bearing cause i do have crunchy clutch pedal occasionally... Normal person might not notice, oil changes are a so easy that fu&$' i do it every 3-4 depending on how i behaved with the car those miles...adjusted pedal and removed spring... It does leaves clutch pedal kind of loose resting but worth the clutch feel.... Warranty left rear lights replaced...dyno runs aspirated tuned uel header and front tomei front pipe and overpipe..2,5 perrin catback resonated, intake spacers and drop in k&n filter... It would do them all day long... Much faster car...lesss top end power with spacers but better gains in lows and mids.... I installed a couple of things, shortshift and along with hubcententric spacers and whole exhaust... NST whole pulleys...painted tail lights red... HT lip kit was very friendly to install...( needs someone else to do it jeje)...The hotchiks springs (1" drop feels like stock on bumps and shit) and fog light kit with switch inside were done by my local shop... Today, after 2 years i added a little of stock blue coolant, 80s-90s all year takes its toll nd reservoir of the car is not a pressurized one so ... The car is great!!! Will do the TOB soon... And reinstal trd shortshifter, cause i know a can a better shifting feel reinstalling...so easy jejeje
Hope all of yours are do well too.
Wow, your car looks perfect! Seriously, this is exactly how I want my car too look! <3 <3 <3 I saved the picture of your car haha!

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
axelo (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 03:16 AM   #61
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nl View Post
The 15's suspension isn't exactly "refined" - if you are looking for a car with a comfortable ride, FR-S probably isn't the right answer.

We said that it is more "refined" comparing to earlier years. You can check below a few posts of users who have experience with both suspensions (before and after '15):

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=18

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...11&postcount=2

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=13

If I had a model year car before 2015 this change would have a high priority. It is funny people requesting model changes to be backward compatible and when factory makes them they just ignore them and go aftermarket.

Last edited by nikitopo; 01-21-2016 at 03:30 AM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Mr.Impreza (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 06:05 AM   #62
axelo
Banned

Drives: Whiteout frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
Picked up my FR-S in June 2012.
32k miles.
Total of 6 weeks at the dealer for many minor issues.

Rear deck popping noise. Fixed my own.

S-SB-0023-12-Rev2 : Chirping Noise from High Pressure Fuel Pump

S-SB-0002-13 : Condensation in Rear Combination Lamp

S-TT-0043-12 (Not a TSB): Body panels that aren’t flush. Fixed my own. Takes only 1 minute. LINK to DIY.

Driver side door rubber piece deformed preventing the window to close all the way up.

Squeaky clutch. This is the one that took them the longest to fix.

I also have once in a while unstable idling rpm, squeaky windows, and rattling/popping rear seat latch (only happens in parking lot speed), which I'm planning to just leave as is. Clutch rattling noise is pretty noisy at idling after a transmission oil change too. It sounds like decades old tractor engine. But I hear this is normal and happening to other people as well.

Other than these, everything is perfect. It drives like brand new after 3.5 years. Zero annoying noise while driving (I'm very sensitive to those noise). If I go back to June 2012, I would still buy this car again even if I knew it would have this many minor issues. If the car is gone today, I will buy BRZ Limited.
Amen bro!!!
axelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:42 PM   #63
3nl

Drives: 2015 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
We said that it is more "refined" comparing to earlier years. You can check below a few posts of users who have experience with both suspensions (before and after '15):

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=18

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...11&postcount=2

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=13

If I had a model year car before 2015 this change would have a high priority. It is funny people requesting model changes to be backward compatible and when factory makes them they just ignore them and go aftermarket.
Yes, they made very slight changes (I've driven both, and I didn't notice it) - but I wanted to make it clear to the OP that even with those changes, the car is in no sense of the word "refined".
3nl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:04 PM   #64
mackdaddytran

Drives: Toyota Skyline Type-R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
got into an accident in october, hopefully getting my car back any day now. I miss that little piece of shit so much.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #65
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
2013 BRZ Premium w/ 12xxx mileage, 0 issues so far.
yeah BRZ is not my daily car lol
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #66
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm hearing a weird noise, it's obvious when I turn off the radio but I don't think it's the crickets. Might have to do with the oil/oil level? When I park it on leveled ground and the car is cool I check the dipstick and it's a bit above the middle.
YamahaR86 is offline   Reply With Quote